Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 16:00   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: At What Age Do Workers Stop Getting Raises

I've been out of the work force for about ten years...

I see US wages for worker bees going down. In my old shoreside trades (shipwright, certified welder) I hear wages are about 2/3 of what I made. During the Katrina hurricane repairs I read where 1800 welders were brought over from India to work for $18/hr. because there were no US welders. I never saw ads or heard of ads for welders. When I left the work force and not working in management, I was getting above $25.
The point is: don't count on raises.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 16:38   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think actual purchasing power or wages adjusted for inflation or similar has actually been falling since the mid 70's
Hard to believe I know

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 20:45   #33

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've been out of the work force for about ten years...

I see US wages for worker bees going down. In my old shoreside trades (shipwright, certified welder) I hear wages are about 2/3 of what I made. During the Katrina hurricane repairs I read where 1800 welders were brought over from India to work for $18/hr. because there were no US welders. I never saw ads or heard of ads for welders. When I left the work force and not working in management, I was getting above $25.
The point is: don't count on raises.
There are many industries claiming that they need more workers and there are none in the USA but the reality is they just want the cheapest labor that satisfies the minimum requirements. Then they wonder why their project fall apart.

I've been involved with many projects where the most qualified worker was not hired because they cost $1 or $2 more an hour - we are talking about people that earn between $60 and $200 an hour.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:03   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I've been involved with providing scholarships for youngsters graduating from high school for several years. Eight years ago the number of kids(young people) graduating high school almost exclusively applied for academic scholarships... Now it is 50-50 academic and vocational. No jobs for college grads it seems and tradesmen are still in short supply. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:27   #35

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've been involved with providing scholarships for youngsters graduating from high school for several years. Eight years ago the number of kids(young people) graduating high school almost exclusively applied for academic scholarships... Now it is 50-50 academic and vocational. No jobs for college grads it seems and tradesmen are still in short supply. Phil
But the "new" trades jobs don't pay what the used did years back. The last down turn killed wages/benefits not sure they will come back.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17   #36

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think actual purchasing power or wages adjusted for inflation or similar has actually been falling since the mid 70's
Hard to believe I know

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Everybody always talks about the 70s because there was a brief spike in wages back then. They fell from the peak until the mid 90s and are now almost back up.

All of this rising and falling has been in a pretty tight band. See the chart here.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:09   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Using your link, it's roughly 18 to 22 bucks, that is pretty big in my opinion, and we have just now climbed back to the middle

One click of the mouse to the page before the one you linked to show a slightly different perspective?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househ...f_GDP_-_v1.png

cwyckham.
just going through the presentation you linked to, it does seem to make the case of the rich getting richer, while the poor get poorer? Or do I miss the point of it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 13:28   #38

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Using your link, it's roughly 18 to 22 bucks, that is pretty big in my opinion, and we have just now climbed back to the middle

One click of the mouse to the page before the one you linked to show a slightly different perspective?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househ...f_GDP_-_v1.png

cwyckham.
just going through the presentation you linked to, it does seem to make the case of the rich getting richer, while the poor get poorer? Or do I miss the point of it?
The slide before is about percentage of GDP and whatnot. I don't think it's really relevant. This is the Wikipedia page that I found the graph on.

I would say that the rich are getting richer and the middle class are staying about the same. If we were having this conversation in the mid-90s I'd agree that the middle class was losing ground. Right now, though? Seems like things have normalized back to the middle of a range and if anything are still climbing.

I certainly don't see an argument, based on the graph, that there's a steady erosion of middle class buying power.
Old 09-10-2015, 19:15   #39

Boat: Gemini 3200

To the OP's question: It depends on the field you are in. I'm 60 and I learn something new every day...have to nowadays...and I still get regular raises. My advice to all young people: by 2050, most jobs will be able to be done by robots and/or computers. Think seriously about the future you want then make it happen. Be the change. There are tons of fantastic jobs available for forward-thinking people who are willing to learn. And if you have a passion and a vision, create the job.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 22:00   #40

Boat: Selene 47

Do like I did, start your own business, work your butt off. 15 years later make a good income. 20 years later, make more but pay more in taxes. 22 years sell the business and hope that Uncle Sam taxes your capital gains on what you actually made that year.
Buy a boat and run away, funny how they still find you and want more than you thought you were gonna owe.....hmmmmm, maybe shoulda quit sooner and run away.
Damn if you do, damn if you don't.
All I know is, I don't need as many meds to lower the blood pressure or the collesteral cus I'm not stressing the payroll, taxes and so on. But my alcohol intake has increased significantly.
I'm just saying!!!!!
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 20:50   #41

having come back from ashes 4 times now I'm obviously not a quitter type. I am self employeed and work only hours I can find the work (which is seasonal), then I work like a whipped mule. Even at over 50 yrs old I put guys half my age to shame. The younger folks are constantly handling their phones during work, while I plow on ahead trying to get the most out of the daylight! I've taken to working jobs alone because I actually make more money than with younger help! The other dya I got tipped out after a days work an additional $30, may not sound like much to you guys making $50-$100 an hour, but every day gets me closer to my next boat and that is my focus. I've had 9 boats already, and lived aboard 5 of them. So I agree with the post a few back that said "a boat is you freedom" or something to that effect! I can't wait to stop paying rent on the cottage and put that money towards fixing up whatever boat I get next.

I'm not going to let age stop me from pursuing more sailing that's for sure! Or lack of money either! That *squeaking* you hear walking down the dock is me saving another 'boat buck' LOL!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 21:03   #42
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

As a hard working gigolo for many years, I have found it harder and harder to get a raise, but that has never diminished my desire to finish the job to the satisfaction of my employer....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 22:51   #43

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
As a hard working gigolo for many years, I have found it harder and harder to get a raise, but that has never diminished my desire to finish the job to the satisfaction of my employer....
Love it, absolutely LOVE it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 14:22   #44

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm just a gigolo and everywhere I go
People know the part, I'm playin'
Paid for every dance, sellin' each romance
Ooh, what they're sayin'

There will come a day, and youth will pass away
What'll they say about me?
When the end comes I know they'll say just a gigolo
And life goes on without me
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 13:27   #45

Boat: youngquist viking 34

I'm 53 and dont expect any more wages beyond cola raises, unless I cross train for management. Company treats me well and unless I find a way to make them more money there is no reason to expect more. My wife has a union job and has also hit top scale. Time to wipe out few remaining debts including the house, and sock away the extra.
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais