Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2012, 07:11   #31

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Are electricians in demand among cruisers?

I'm an HVAC Tech, but I'd be very very cautious about working in another country. Perhaps I could hang out in the US V.I.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 08:00   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Once you touch the refrigerant gasses you may need a local license, but for the 12v electrics I think the issue is more one of costs. Convincing people to pay what the right gear costs, and then pay more for the labor.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 08:14   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If there's one thing in common in these "Are (BLANK) in Demand?" threads is that no one ever chirps in that they're cruising the Med/Caribbean/South Pacific and making boatloads of money with an underground cruiser fix-it business.

There's gotta be a lesson there somewhere.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:26   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the cruisers who i have seen and experienced making money as they go as far as repairing stuff donot make much and are always in fear of losing boat or freedom due to locals learning about the under the table businesses--- be very careful and do not expect to be able to do much as far as repairing other folks's boats while under way...i have been hiring a fella who is excellent in boat repair--- he brings in just enough to cover foodstuffs and some fuel..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:40   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bash, when you really try to simplify and generalize the topic, the way to make money while cruising is by having a valuable skill that few other people have. Which is also either not going to be regulated, or is routinely practiced ignoring regulations.

So I thought about that, and I'm just not pretty enough to be a gigolo. Don't ahve the fashion-sense for the job, either. I'm just not qualified.

Then I figured I could be a bank robber, but I was afraid that with my language skills, I'd wind up giving folks the equivalent of "I HAVE A GUB" and not being taken seriously.

After days and days of making lists and pros and cons, I finally got it right. I've been making money as a full-time professional hit man, hand over fist. In any civilized country, you can charge about the same thing as an average year's wages (for the common man) and beat the going local rate for a hit. And, since you have access to blue water and dumping, egh, cruising grounds where the water is deeper than trawlers and what's dumped stays down, you have the unique means of disposing of the body in a fairly reliable way.

Now of course, with gun laws being so strict these days, you go through a lot of clothing bills and steak knife sets, but hey, that's just the cost of being in business. It isn't the business for everyone, but if it was, I couldn't charge the rates I get!

So, put up a big pot of coffee, get out the yellow pad, make up two columns for "pro" and "con" and another pad to list your special skills, likes, dislikes, and I'm sure you'll find something equally unique and profitable. Just remember, pay your taxes, that's what they got Al Capone for not doing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote