Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2012, 13:47   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Are electricians in demand among cruisers?

I was a commercial electrician in my past life and have worked around boats all my life. There is work out there if you have the right people skills. There's not enough to make a living at but it adds to your kitty at times. Sailing cruisers are not your best bet for work, they already have a certain reputation in the marine industry. Many of them already know how to maintain their own electrical systems on their own boat, many with these skills are dangerous on others boats. Some should never pick up a pair of strippers. A few are darn good. Many more will want you to do it for free. Some might pay you to fix their mistakes. But sailors for the most part are on a budget, usually a very tight budget that doesn't allow them to pay you. Look for the check book boaters, usually the larger power boaters. Set up a Pay Pal account so you can take credit cards. Yes hone your DC and marine electronics knowledge. Most electricians I know are pretty good with their hands and can do a lot of other work as well, plumbing, refrigeration, engine work, etc. Hone these skills too, because one usually leads to the other on a boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Some should never pick up a pair of strippers. A few are darn good. Many more will want you to do it for free.
My wife keeps telling me not to pick up a pair of strippers. I know a few that are darn good, but I have not found any that want me for free.

Aiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:59   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is a demand, however, the permissions to legally work in many places is prohibitive--and working under the table can get you into much problem. good luck. just do not advertise nor brag.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:10   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki View Post
My wife keeps telling me not to pick up a pair of strippers. I know a few that are darn good, but I have not found any that want me for free.

Pitched down the middle and hit out of the park!!
Old 20-06-2012, 14:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Crusing sailors have a great reputation for helping each other out. I have spent hours fixing electrical problems on other boats. I expect nothing more than a pat on the back and maybe a meal or a drink at the end. Why not I time rich and enjoy working with electrics.
I have similar favours returned. A very nice fellow cruser ( and ex professional marine engineer) recently adjusted the tapet clearance and helped me rebuild a water pump. What goes around comes around.

It is very tough to operate a commercial operation in this sort of climate.

The other problem is that even with great skills you will lack the contacts and resources that local trade people have. Diagnose a burnt out alternator,or starter motor, a local marine electrician will know someone who can rebuild it in a couple of days. Without the local knowlege, contacts and no car you cannot offer the same service unless you stay in same location for a long time.Then you are not crusing
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:40   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The other trade I have been thinking about is canvas work. Buy a good used machine and take along some canvas and even some random sail material. The out-lay wouldn't be much past $600.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 14:55   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

be very careful about working in other countries-- both ye have some needed skills--dont get caught --we boaters have a lot to lose when things go bad--there are many locals who want to do these jobs but who dont really know how to do the work. folks coming in from other laces and working equates out to taking the jobs from them---be careful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:04   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I've been cruise working for 10 years in the Caribbean with my two trades. Master Electrician and Refrigeration Technician. I have had no problems finding work when I wanted, and work permits have not been an issue. If the employer wants you they'll take care of it. I've actually be transferred to another island, after a project has finished up. Bugger commuting, the best type ever!!.
The tradesmanship of your colleagues can get a bit frustrating at times, but then I re-read Don't stop the Carnival, and everything resets.
It can be done, set your expectations low to start with, remember rule #2 -Your not at home- and you will enjoy yourself.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 14:36   #24

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback. I actually should have asked if i could make a living while cruising, rather than from cruisers. I actually envision myself spending a season in a port to sell my services to boat owners based in that port, and offering my services gratis to other cruisers while on the move. If i enjoy someones company then spending a few hours helping them out won't require payment since it won't be "work".

Caribsailor, I'm right there with you. I'm going to begin with at least a one year kitty. Hopefully I can stop and replenish it from time to time. Cruising is cheap, and if can make a fraction of what I make now I'll be fine...I'm not looking to get rich.
Lovnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 03:27   #25

I've been lurking on this thread.

It's interesting regards work visas. This doesn't wipe out the idea completely. Certainly there's the old way of just giving because you will get in return of course. However, there are ways to be paid without using cash.
For example, hitching a ride on someone's Yacht with all expenses paid in exchange for having the skills on tap. And besides, that way those skills could well be put into use outside country boundaries. I'm sure there are other ways too, just less of a business.

Can one protect oneself a little from visa problems by incorporating a business outside the country? It doesn't work from what I've seen but it might slow the authorities down?
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 05:53   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The main issue is you can do a certain amount on a cash basis amongst like minded cruisers. This goes on in all ports. The problem is when you come to the attention of the locals. , then the brown stuff kits the fan.

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 06:57   #27

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Dave is right about the locals... If they find out you are taking their business away from them, they will report you in a heart beat... I have seen this happen twice in Mexico and once in Costa Rica. Punishments on paper are harsh, but usually end up being a fine or expulsion from the country. Not only are you violating the VISA laws, you are avoiding txes, which in some countries is serious.

Jogo, I don't know how incoorporating your business outside the country your working in would help at all... If anything it could be more problematic, since they have something to track you finances. Your idea about working in kind is done frequently, but in the orginally email, it sounded like the writter wanted to pay his expenses working his way around the world. That could be done if he had a very small cruising budget, but in reality it isn't likely.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 07:12   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovnit View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback. I actually should have asked if i could make a living while cruising, rather than from cruisers. I actually envision myself spending a season in a port to sell my services to boat owners based in that port, and offering my services gratis to other cruisers while on the move. If i enjoy someones company then spending a few hours helping them out won't require payment since it won't be "work".

Caribsailor, I'm right there with you. I'm going to begin with at least a one year kitty. Hopefully I can stop and replenish it from time to time. Cruising is cheap, and if can make a fraction of what I make now I'll be fine...I'm not looking to get rich.
I missed that class!
Old 14-07-2012, 07:21   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What you should be asking is can you find work locally, ie work for a local usually paid under the table. Hence you will not whistle blown in this case. Yes that's possible. So if you're an electrician you could look at local plant maintenance or construction work. , you will be paid as a worker. Not offering your services as a self employed.

Still all illegal, but goes on all the time

As to " cruising is cheap" just what banana tree are you currently under

Dave
Old 17-07-2012, 05:28   #30

Boat: Currently Boatless

Add refrigeration expertise and you will do great. Every happy hour I've ever been to ends up in discussion about the damn fridge and/or freezer. The ability to analyze the boat energy system as a whole is also useful. Seen lots of people spend all kinds of money down in the caribbean upgrading their refrigeration only to find that the battery bank is too small, not enough solar power etc etc.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote