Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 13:02   #1

Any Ideas?

Hey Everyone! So im planning to buy a liveaboard in about 2 years and sail in the carribean. Im planning to live as cheap as possible but will still need a way of making money any ideas?? I will have a visa but im not sure how easy it will be to have a job on land while living on a sailboat

Any suggestions would be great!
Joeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 01:15   #2

Barter my brother. Find what the destination needs (non Illegal of course) then trade it for what people elsewhere would need. Simple as that......
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 01:46   #3

Boat: Tayana 48
Learn to repair (any or all): diesel engines, ac units, marine refrigeration, watermakers, sails, rigging.
The Carib (nor any other areas of the world) needs no more bartenders.
Besides, a land-based job will tie you down, and prevent you from experiencing exactly what the "cruising" lifestyle offers...freedom.
Have fun,
John
Old 29-12-2009, 02:19   #4

Boat: Sadler 26
Although it was 7 years ago, I found that bartering with lures was a good form of exchange. As was second hand yachting equipment, providing you can land your hands on some well priced gear. If you play a musical instrument and are willing to entertain, then busking seemed to pay for a couple of beers. It was less about making money than about swapping for produce, beers etc
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:21   #5

I like the trading lures idea. With a dremel tool and a few other things one could make plenty of them for cheap. Busking? I did that in London 25 years ago, back when I only knew three songs. It made some beer money, till the Bobbys booted me from Trafalgar Square. They seemed upset.
Old 29-12-2009, 03:27   #6

Meridian: Those diesels look easy to work on if they are accessible. Shame many boats have them tucked away so far to get to.....

And I dislike quite a few obnoxious type bartenders. But if they were'nt there; would all the bars have to be self service? Think about it.....
Old 29-12-2009, 03:41   #7

Boat: Boatless
Fixing outboards.....locals charge $50/hr.

We had 4 couples over for Xmas dinner and 2 of them had outboard problems.

Many of the engines are Yamaha 15 HP and there are virtually no spares available in Grenada. The Tohatsu's are now very common in the Islands and I get my Tohatsu spares from Tennessee.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:55   #8

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Find one specialty

I know of a local fellow, can't imagine where he is now, but he built a beautifle sailboat and had a workshop in the stern area below. He made custom copper weathervanes and sold them via word of mouth, Yankee magazine etc. and it helped pay his way. He had a long list of customers before embarking. Would love to hear about his life now. [this wa over 10 years ago]

Otherwise, I like the diesel repair idea. stuffing box work is another thing most would rather pay someone to do.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 04:51   #9

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Repairs of all sorts, Canvas bags, or items like snap on covers for bright work or windows, computer repair and set up marine electronics troubleshooting and repair there are many things like that will make some money. Once you get established and start maikng some money probably you will draw the attention of the local officials who will require documentation, work permit, taxes, etc. If they don't notice you at first they will probably be tipped off by locals that you will be taking business from.
Remember you will be often competing with someone who is willing to work for what you may consider very little money.

Good luck whatever you do
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 09:08   #10

Great! Thanks everyone!
Joeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 13:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc
Once you get established and start maikng some money probably you will draw the attention of the local officials who will require documentation, work permit, taxes, etc.
Just be aware that the local officials will not help you to get all of this documentation. What they will do, if you don't have it, is to either fine you, throw you in jail, force you to leave immediately, or some combination of the above.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 21:26   #12

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
Definitely learn to fix refridgeration. And where you're going, you'll find not only the large yachts (which tend to go for land based companies) but "luxury yachts" - and tell you what, if you can fix a generator and a fridge, you'll be doing quite well for yourself. Oh! and electronics.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:00   #13

boat ride's
CaptainTtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:34   #14

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
So many thing you could do the list just keeps going on, find something you like and learn to do it.

A friend came to visit me from St. Louis and started playing with rope made a few rugs sold every one at a nice price. Doing bottom jobs but not sure of the need for them there.

Electrical work is always needed, You stated above "diesels look easy to work" sorry to tell you the reason people pay to have them worked on is because its not easy to figure out the problem.

If you are good with computers there is always a need for repair for them and in most cases I found very simple fix.

In the short time I have lived in a marina the things people have ask me to work on have been first Electrical, Rigging or different types of wood work. I did install one hard top bimini but took a loss on that job so would never do it again.

My plan as I travel will be sail repair and welding and some electrical due to space for tools, I came across a cheap Sailright sewing machine and small wire feed welder that will run off my genset.

Long story short if you are handy you will find work.

Best of luck,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08   #15

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'
I have a small onlne business and frankly, when travelling, i just cozy up to a marina or resort that has an open WiFi connection every couple of days and do my online transactions (I bought a cheap WiFi antenna to extend my range). The money gets dumped to Paypal and I use their Visa card for my personal transactions.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote