Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 12:58   #16

Boat: Ta Chiao 56
Re: Annual maintenance costs of living aboard at anchor

You should probably narrow your choice down a bit first, as cost of maintenance can vary widely from one kind of boat to another, and not with just the size of the boat. Given that you first inquired about places to shop for a
Quote:
used large ship
and
Quote:
Old luxury yachts, used old cruise ships that may not be functioning well
on an all-in budget of $100k, you can't expect many people to take you seriously.
Come to think of it, I don't know why I bothered to post this, except to clue in others.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 13:25   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
I'm looking to minimize my expenses as much as possible to increase my profit (I'm self employed and work primarily online). I'm looking for any used boat, not necessarily a cruise ship (which was more of a pipe dream haha)
Now I know how to supplement my retirement income! Who knew

could pay so well?
Old 05-09-2019, 13:36   #18

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Why not just rent a place on land, much cheaper! Why the inconvenience of a non mobile boat?
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 13:50   #19

Boat: Lagoon 40

Why live on a boat unless you are going to travel? A tent is a cheaper alternative if you just want to minimize expenses! How much will it cost to maintain a boat? - How well do you want to maintain it? Its no different from a house - you can keep it well maintained and tidy, or you can let it go. In my experience, a boat that is sailed regularly is easier (not necessarily cheaper) to maintain than one that sits at anchor or at a dock. Things just sit and rot at the dock! And AKPRB is absolutely right about the Rio.

The real advantages of living on a boat.
- move when you want a change of scenery
- explore the world
- follow the "80 degree line"
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 14:25   #20

Thanks everyone for the wonderful feedback!

That's actually what I'm trying to figure out by figuring out the cost of maintaining a non mobile boat vs cost of being on land. With land you have to deal with property taxes and maintanence on a home as well. It seems like you can really minimize expenses by staying in one place on anchor because then you don't have to deal with engine/sails/rigging/marina costs/etc.

Yes I understand a tent would be the cheapest but I'm looking to have a more permanent shelter while minimizing expenses. Plus I love swimming and snorkeling and being in the ocean which is why I'm willing to pay more.

I'm also considering other places like Bocas del Toro in Panama and honestly anywhere outside the hurricane zones any suggestions for other locations would be awesome as well!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 14:29   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
you don't want a "boat", you what a "houseboat" or a barge

these can be great living cost savings depending on location
Old 05-09-2019, 16:39   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

You are not getting much love here. First off, I guess Belizsailor can't comment cuz he could rent you a house on the Rio. Not sure it's really on land, some places are on stilts. Second, you would be way better off in a marina, one with a pool like LLCoolDave has. You don't need a watermaker, just a really good filter/treatment set-up and a water catchment set-up. You will need big solar and a wind generator for the hour it blows some days. Oh, no question here, you are going to need a launcha, dinghy's suck. A 16' panga with a 15hp is about the right set-up if you are not going long distances. That will set you back $2k US used,$3K new.
As far as the visa thing goes, a lot of people deal with it, or become Guatemalan? I don't know what they are doing but there are bunch living there.
For the crusader out there, who I don't think would be welcome anywhere, they mention an AA meeting on the morning net.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
Now I know how to supplement my retirement income! Who knew

could pay so well?
Apparently it pays well enough to hire a crew...

Crew Wanted: Maryland to Rio Dulce in 40' motoryacht - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10   #24

Boat: Boat

Quote:
That's actually what I'm trying to figure out by figuring out the cost of maintaining a non mobile boat vs cost of being on land. With land you have to deal with property taxes and maintanence on a home as well. It seems like you can really minimize expenses by staying in one place on anchor because then you don't have to deal with engine/sails/rigging/marina costs/etc.
Honestly, I think this is a myth. A nice one bedroom apartment in most places will cost you about as much as you need to budget for the upkeep of a 33-40 foot sailboat. Now if you’re going going to go small (under 30 feet) those costs go down but the amount of living space available to you shrinks exponentially.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Honestly, I think this is a myth. A nice one bedroom apartment in most places will cost you about as much as you need to budget for the upkeep of a 33-40 foot sailboat. Now if you’re going going to go small (under 30 feet) those costs go down but the amount of living space available to you shrinks exponentially.
Hi cloroxbottle thanks for the input! What exactly do I need to budget for with having a boat at anchor other than paying a diver to clean the bottom (or do it myself), periodic pump outs, maintenance of pumps/heads/electrical /dinghy? The truth of the matter is that I just prefer to be on the water as a lifestyle choice even if it may be cheaper to be on land. Any input with hard numbers and other running maintenance costs I need to budget for please let me know!
Old 07-09-2019, 06:47   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Annual maintenance costs of living aboard at anchor

Quote:

Yes I understand a tent would be the cheapest but I'm looking to have a more permanent shelter while minimizing expenses. Plus I love swimming and snorkeling and being in the ocean which is why I'm willing to pay more.

I'm also considering other places like Bocas del Toro in Panama and honestly anywhere outside the hurricane zones any suggestions for other locations would be awesome as well!
Well where your talking about is a shitty river and estuary, not brilliant swimming of a boat.
Try looking at the islands of Aruba and Curacao instead.. or even Grenada or Tobago.. English widely spoken, good supplies and air links etc etc.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:51   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well where your talking about is a shitty river and estuary, not brilliant swimming of a boat.
Try looking at the islands of Aruba and Curacao instead.. or even Grenada or Tobago.. English widely spoken, good supplies and air links etc etc.
Yes thank you bases on yours and others feedback I probably won't be going to Rio Dulce
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah52 View Post

When one's own time is worthless, you're not inclined to be worried about wasting other people's.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
When one's own time is worthless, you're not inclined to be worried about wasting other people's.
Yea, it seems stroking one's ego with no regard for others is socially acceptable to some. In the long run the reputation of this board being a good place to look for crew positions certainly won't be enhanced.

I wonder if he does this on airplane forums.
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah52 View Post
Yea, it seems stroking one's ego with no regard for others is socially acceptable to some. In the long run the reputation of this board being a good place to look for crew positions certainly won't be enhanced.

I wonder if he does this on airplane forums.
So let me get this straight.. Just because I look to minimize expenses you assume I have no money and can't afford to hire crew?? Wow how arrogant hahaha.

Many thanks for the otherwise kind and helpful responses. Please keep them coming.

Tags
anchor, living aboard, maintenance