Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2016, 19:09   #1

Advice sought on which sailboat to buy

Hi

So I'm pretty green when it comes to sailing. Made the mistake of buying a San Juan 24 last year which I dubbed "bob" since it would bob up and down at the slightest ripple and made me very seasick. I also hated how it seemed very unstable even in minor waves up to one meter.

Had the fortune to go out a few times on a Brent Swain 36 which I liked for the smoother ride (I get seasick relatively easily so prefer heavy displacement). I also liked the fact that I could stand up below decks (I'm 6'8" tall) and that you could "dry out" on the beach at low tide which seems like a nice safety feature in case of hull damage or just wanting to sleep without moving around.

I'm looking to get a boat under 40 feet sloop rigged and preferably with room to stand up in (at least in the galley) I'm not the slightest bit interested in racing. I'd most likely just be using it six months a year to cruise around the coast of British Columbia until such time I can retire and then I might try some blue water cruising. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination but it seems like even used Brent Swain 36s come up for sale occasionally in the 30-40k range which I could handle. Being a cheap bastard I'd always like to spend less but not if it means having a flimsy piece of junk that's ugly and sails poorly. Oh and most of the time I'd be singlehanding the boat FWIW.

Anyway, thought I would ask you good folks your opinions, what kind of boat would you suggest?
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 19:55   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Advice sought on which sailboat to buy

Welcome here! Where are you located, is it Seattle or Vancouver area? It may be tough to find a boat with 6-8 headroom. Something with a pilot house... For a gentler motion a heavier displacement boat will probably suit you, personally I prefer a hull that is not too beamy. In the Puget Sound area where it is pretty calm, a good diesel is important. What kind of budget do you have?

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/54987
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 20:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome here! Where are you located, is it Seattle or Vancouver area? It may be tough to find a boat with 6-8 headroom. Something with a pilot house... For a gentler motion a heavier displacement boat will probably suit you, personally I prefer a hull that is not too beamy. In the Puget Sound area where it is pretty calm, a good diesel is important. What kind of budget do you have?

1990 36 Ft Brent Swain sailboat for sale in Outside United States
Well I live in BC kind of. I work as a trucker so I'm actually all around Canada and the USA for work. When I get a boat I'll probably store it on the hard during the summer and cruise in the winter. Bugetwise I wouldn't spend over 40k but 30 would be a lot better. I'd only pay that for a steel boat though, I think 20 would be tops for fibreglass. Why do you say a diesel is important?
Old 12-04-2016, 20:36   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

6'8 with a 30k budget canadian is going to be difficult. I am 6'3 and started this thread a while back. There might be a couple boats to look at.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-153130.html
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 20:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
6'8 with a 30k budget canadian is going to be difficult. I am 6'3 and started this thread a while back. There might be a couple boats to look at.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-153130.html
I like how you have your boat listed as "workin' on it" that gave e a chuckle.

I'll check out your thread. Fortunately for me I have time on my side. I don't forsee me having any time to go cruising anytime soon I basically have to quit my job in order to do it because this industry is not known for lots of home time, haha. I took 6 months off last year so I need to rebuild my savings. This should be beneficial as buying a boat seems to be unnerving enough without deadlines.
Old 12-04-2016, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
Well I live in BC kind of. I work as a trucker so I'm actually all around Canada and the USA for work. When I get a boat I'll probably store it on the hard during the summer and cruise in the winter. Bugetwise I wouldn't spend over 40k but 30 would be a lot better. I'd only pay that for a steel boat though, I think 20 would be tops for fibreglass. Why do you say a diesel is important?
Steel is strong, but it has its own share of issues. An older fiberglass boat (from the 50s and 60s usually, some 70s & 80s) will be built better (hand laid up roving) and heavier (many layers) than more modern ones, and they are very strong. Preferable to steel in your case IMO. If you can find a boat of that vintage that has been well cared for, with a good diesel, it could be just the deal you are looking for. There is a member, BigNickMontana, also a trucker, who was looking for something similar recently. I believe he is now looking into a Spencer 42, a nice old, tough, fiberglass boat.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-163321.html
Why diesel? With any boat, you'll be motoring, in some areas more than others. A fresh diesel that is strong will give you many hours of worry-free chugging around, which you'll need in places like Puget Sound.
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-04-2016, 09:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I'm 6'6" and its always been a struggle. A friend is slightly taller than you, by an inch, and he has a Barens Sea Trader, 39ft, with adequate headroom - not sure about availability though.

Quote:
Hi

So I'm pretty green when it comes to sailing. Made the mistake of buying a San Juan 24 last year which I dubbed "bob" since it would bob up and down at the slightest ripple and made me very seasick. I also hated how it seemed very unstable even in minor waves up to one meter.

Had the fortune to go out a few times on a Brent Swain 36 which I liked for the smoother ride (I get seasick relatively easily so prefer heavy displacement). I also liked the fact that I could stand up below decks (I'm 6'8" tall) and that you could "dry out" on the beach at low tide which seems like a nice safety feature in case of hull damage or just wanting to sleep without moving around.

I'm looking to get a boat under 40 feet sloop rigged and preferably with room to stand up in (at least in the galley) I'm not the slightest bit interested in racing. I'd most likely just be using it six months a year to cruise around the coast of British Columbia until such time I can retire and then I might try some blue water cruising. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination but it seems like even used Brent Swain 36s come up for sale occasionally in the 30-40k range which I could handle. Being a cheap bastard I'd always like to spend less but not if it means having a flimsy piece of junk that's ugly and sails poorly. Oh and most of the time I'd be singlehanding the boat FWIW.

Anyway, thought I would ask you good folks your opinions, what kind of boat would you suggest?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 11:21   #8

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Hello.

May you consider a motor-sailer!?

You would enjoy the pilot house with enough headroom, I believe.

Boat would be roomier than any sailing boat of equal LOA, and mayby two engines would up to safety and comfort
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 16:18   #9

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Take my advice. Buy my boat. Just listed one of my two boats yesterday.
She is in Oak Bay, Victoria.

Bayview Yacht Sales (Oak Bay, BC)
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 18:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Hello.

May you consider a motor-sailer!?

You would enjoy the pilot house with enough headroom, I believe.

Boat would be roomier than any sailing boat of equal LOA, and mayby two engines would up to safety and comfort
Well I don't know much about motor-sailers but I've seen the McGregors and was not interested; seems like the decks could use less glass and more GRP supporting them. Never been on one but I'm assuming leaking windows are common(?). Plus while I have my eye on traveling some of BCs long channels I intend to sail most of the time.
Old 13-04-2016, 19:03   #11

Considering how much room the Columbias from the early 70s have, you might get a look at some. They have a good rep for strength and for sailing speed. There is a gentleman in the Columbia Owners Group on Yahoo who just refit a 43 beautifully and sailed down from Portland on his way to distant lands. A good 34 is probably in your budget.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-04-2016, 19:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
Take my advice. Buy my boat. Just listed one of my two boats yesterday.
She is in Oak Bay, Victoria.

Bayview Yacht Sales (Oak Bay, BC)
I'd say that one is definitely worth a close look!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-04-2016, 14:49   #13

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Quote:
Well I live in BC kind of. I work as a trucker so I'm actually all around Canada and the USA for work.
A trucker !!!! Just what I need to move my second boat!

Do you have a flat deck truck?
Do you ever run from San Diego to BC?

Would you please buy my boat in Vic and deliver my San Diego boat?

There seem to be a lot of boats in CA that could be modified to meet part of your needs. You can buy a 36 - 40 glass boat and cut out the coach roof to install a pilot house. It might sound impractical but there are guys here in Vic who can do it.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 15:56   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

If getting seasick is part of your challenge, I would try a modern boat or a cat.

I noticed boats with more classic shapes and designs tend to roll off the wind a lot and this makes many people seasick very quick. Some of these more classic boats do offer finer ride upwind in heavy seas though. It can be more bouncy and shaky in a modern boat.

Try a couple of designs, see what works for you. You will find one that is better than others for sure.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 16:01   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I say that for you the best is SomeGirlwithPants

Other than that I think the best boat is the one you like (if you get sea sick the boat isn't really going to change that). No one really knows what the right boat for them is until they have spent a few years on one so they know what direction to take in the various comprises.

Tags
sail, sailboat