Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 21:21   #16

Re: Advice sought on which sailboat to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
Take my advice. Buy my boat. Just listed one of my two boats yesterday.
She is in Oak Bay, Victoria.

Bayview Yacht Sales (Oak Bay, BC)
WOW! I couldn't see the link before (on my phone) but now I saw your boat. What a beauty! Very tempted but I think it's too fancy (and expensive) for me. I am unmercifully rough on stuff I own (meant to be used), it would be a crime for my clumsy hands to be at the helm of that work of art. Still putting it into my saved photos though. Kind of reminds me of an Albin Vega at least as far as the pilothouse and coach roof (hope those are the correct terms) are concerned.
Why you selling it if you don't mind me asking? Tired of varnishing?
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 21:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
I'm 6'6" and its always been a struggle. A friend is slightly taller than you, by an inch, and he has a Barens Sea Trader, 39ft, with adequate headroom - not sure about availability though.
Do you really find the height to be an issue? I'm wondering if it will matter all that much. Most of the time below decks I'd be sleeping or sitting anyway. Is your boat big enough inside to stand up straight in?
Old 16-04-2016, 21:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
A trucker !!!! Just what I need to move my second boat!

Do you have a flat deck truck?
Do you ever run from San Diego to BC?

Would you please buy my boat in Vic and deliver my San Diego boat?

There seem to be a lot of boats in CA that could be modified to meet part of your needs. You can buy a 36 - 40 glass boat and cut out the coach roof to install a pilot house. It might sound impractical but there are guys here in Vic who can do it.
Haha Newp, no flatdeck, sorry. I just haul refrigerated freight and anything that will fit in a dry van, less specialization means I get to go everywhere and do different stuff every day Go fig I want to be a cruiser, right? Right now I think I am 99% sold on a steel boat with bilge keels so most likely a Brent Swain design. I've seen a lot of vitriol on the whole subject of steel vs glass but after considering the pros and cons of each I figure I'll go with steel (unless I find a dirt cheap glass boat that's workable). I'm still years away from being in a position to buy a boat AND cruise on it for a few years, need to rebuild the piggy bank.

I doubt your boat will be hard to sell, it's probably the most beautiful one I've seen so far.
Old 16-04-2016, 21:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If getting seasick is part of your challenge, I would try a modern boat or a cat.

I noticed boats with more classic shapes and designs tend to roll off the wind a lot and this makes many people seasick very quick. Some of these more classic boats do offer finer ride upwind in heavy seas though. It can be more bouncy and shaky in a modern boat.

Try a couple of designs, see what works for you. You will find one that is better than others for sure.

b.
Modern boats and cats are usually pretty pricy, no? It's funny I never used to get seasick but I did a lot of oceean trips in my canoe last year and was nauseated almost every time. Strangest thing, I can be on a river bouncing up and down in waves for days but on the ocean I get crazy ill
Next time out I'm going to bring seasickness pills and try mixing them with caffeine pills to counter the drowsiness effect, hopefully that will work. It's much less of an issue in heavy boats though so, prob best to go with steel. We'll see, it'll likely be a while before I buy a boat.
Old 16-04-2016, 21:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I say that for you the best is SomeGirlwithPants

Other than that I think the best boat is the one you like (if you get sea sick the boat isn't really going to change that). No one really knows what the right boat for them is until they have spent a few years on one so they know what direction to take in the various comprises.
Well I don't discriminate; she doesn't have to have pants. Hehe.

I think the seasickness is probably easy to overcome with exposure. Most of my time on the water since I lived near the ocean has beein in rivers and lakes so it's a whole other ball of wax, eventually I'm sure my brain will figure out that I'm not hallucinating and sending my breakfast up for the seagulls' inspection.

Tags
sail, sailboat