Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 07:38   #391
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,518
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For the most part since most full keel boats are older designs, to me none of them are good live aboards. Doesn't mean people don't do it and claim they are. But you can look at the layout of an older boat (almost a given that it will be full keel) and a 55' boat doesn't have as good a live aboard layout as a modern 40' boat.

Just the way it was and is.

About the only exception are the Island Packets.
I know of two couples living in the Med aboard beautifully restored 1980's vintage Hans Christian 43's along with their pets. Plenty of room with everything one needs for full time liveaboard and comfortable live style.

Presently, I'm in dry dock next to a Belgian fellow with another Hans Christian 43, who's boat would surely kick butt over one of the newer production boats when the weather turns sour. His teak decks and bright work look awesome & his marble galley sink, full teak interior and ceramic tiled shower are a nice touch, you won't see on production boats.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:47   #392
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,767
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
...
Presently, I'm in dry dock next to a Belgian fellow with another Hans Christian 43, who's boat would surely kick butt over one of the newer production boats when the weather turns sour. His teak decks and bright work look awesome & his marble galley sink, full teak interior and ceramic tiled shower are a nice touch, you won't see on production boats.
Not properly suited for the med, except in what regards living aboard and stay put or motoring. Except the Aegean the Med on the sailing season has mostly weak winds with some occasional very strong ones. On the med one ends up doing a lot of upwind sailing. The Hans Christian is good on strong winds but does not sail properly with less than 10K and does not point very well.

For the med a full keel to have a decent sailing performance has to be a narrow and elegant boat, something like this:





Very nice, even if for having the needed interior space it has to be big and that means expensive in many ways.
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 09:01   #393
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,518
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Mr. Polux,

More of a world view is in order. All three couples with the HC 43's started their journeys in the UK or Belgium, are now exploring the Med, and then will continue to discover the rest of the world over the next 10-15 years. There's no such thing as a boat ideally suited for all locals. But some hardy boats can take you anywhere you wish to go in suitable luxury and safety.

I'm sure when we eventually take our Oyster over to the Bahamas, we'll find ourselves at a disadvantage due to our 7.3ft draft, and wishing we had a catamaran.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 09:58   #394
Registered User
 
SV Windrush II's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere in the Philippines
Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Posts: 452
Images: 18
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Food for thought;

From The Circumnavigators by Don Holm.


“Varua, which means “spirit” or “soul” in Tahitian, is considered by many aficionados to be the most beautiful and functionally perfect sailing yacht ever built.”


__________________
Mariner 40 Ketch
SV Windrush II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:02   #395
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
For the med a full keel to have a decent sailing performance has to be a narrow and elegant boat, something like this...

Very nice, even if for having the needed interior space it has to be big and that means expensive in many ways.
Looks like a J-boat.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:03   #396
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightonyachts View Post
Food for thought;

From The Circumnavigators by Don Holm.


“Varua, which means “spirit” or “soul” in Tahitian, is considered by many aficionados to be the most beautiful and functionally perfect sailing yacht ever built.”
Looks like a clipper.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:04   #397
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Presently, I'm in dry dock next to a Belgian fellow with another Hans Christian 43, who's boat would surely kick butt over one of the newer production boats when the weather turns sour. His teak decks and bright work look awesome & his marble galley sink, full teak interior and ceramic tiled shower are a nice touch, you won't see on production boats.,
I wasn't aware that teak decks, marble galleys, teak interior and tiled showers were useful in a handling heavy weather, but I learn something new everyday

dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:06   #398
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

If you can nap in it, it's gotta be good.

__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:07   #399
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I wasn't aware that teak decks, marble galleys, teak interior and tiled showers were useful in a handling heavy weather, but I learn something new everyday

dave
When people talk teak, teak, marble, teak….

I want to run away into the coconut trees so I don't have to work.

I wanna go sailing. Don't need another job.
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:16   #400
Registered User
 
SV Windrush II's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Somewhere in the Philippines
Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Posts: 452
Images: 18
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
If you can nap in it, it's gotta be good.


Nice!
__________________
Mariner 40 Ketch
SV Windrush II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 10:42   #401
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,506
Images: 16
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

For upwind sailing there are many centerboard designed full keeled boats that would perform quite well, i.e., Hinckley, Little Harbor, etc.

Mason makes very fine full keeled boats.

Alden has modified fins with centerboards, another great choice.
__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:06   #402
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,767
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mr. Polux,

More of a world view is in order. All three couples with the HC 43's started their journeys in the UK or Belgium, are now exploring the Med, and then will continue to discover the rest of the world over the next 10-15 years. There's no such thing as a boat ideally suited for all locals. But some hardy boats can take you anywhere you wish to go in suitable luxury and safety.

I'm sure when we eventually take our Oyster over to the Bahamas, we'll find ourselves at a disadvantage due to our 7.3ft draft, and wishing we had a catamaran.
Mr Kenomac,

Yes I agree with you. Most boats can take you anywhere, if not all in luxury or with speed. The important is to have one suited to your life style be it a luxurious one or a sportive one, motoring or sailing, to each his pleasure
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:23   #403
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Yeah the Tartan 34 , beautifull underwater shape, but nothing beat this Swan in terms of beauty... Just kidding...
No kidding, and sails well too. Thou every boat has some flaws just can't remember any on 65' (ok, the engines are in very crambed space, a PITA to maintain)
__________________
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:47   #404
Senior Cruiser
 
Igotnuthin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Millgrove, Ontario
Boat: Northstar 8020
Posts: 57
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Forgive me if I am re-suggesting or suggesting contrary to requirements. Didn't feel like reading ALL 27 pages of posts.......
1976 Hughes Northstar 8020 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I have one...she's solid, she's stable, she's big inside. Or if you don't want a ketch, a Hughes 40, same boat minus the mizzen.
__________________
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:21   #405
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,334
Re: A Full Keel Blue Water Cruiser Worthy of Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For the most part since most full keel boats are older designs, to me none of them are good live aboards. Doesn't mean people don't do it and claim they are. But you can look at the layout of an older boat (almost a given that it will be full keel) and a 55' boat doesn't have as good a live aboard layout as a modern 40' boat.

Just the way it was and is.

About the only exception are the Island Packets.

To those that replied to the above pointing out to me that you could live on a older full keel type of boat, please read what I wrote and not what you wanted it to say in order to correct me on it. People CAN live on any boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't mean I would.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, cruiser, keel, living aboard, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunter 27' : blue water/carrib island hopping worthy? Capt Darren Monohull Sailboats 14 18-08-2016 13:39
Morgan 27 blue water worthy? Sqelix Monohull Sailboats 10 04-01-2013 11:21
Looking for - Blue Water 40+ft - $60k Full Keel camcam Monohull Sailboats 17 14-08-2012 19:07
Sea-worthy 30 footers for live-aboard? tetraj Monohull Sailboats 7 27-07-2012 20:10
I'd like to get your thoughts on some full keel blue water cruisers Miu Miu Monohull Sailboats 21 15-06-2012 17:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.