Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2018, 06:39   #106

Re: A fine for a not registered 10ft dinghy? FL-US

Most states require registration of any powered vessel regardless of length (Florida does). Not displaying registration numbers is an invitation to be stopped

Florida (most states) allow 90 days of navigation of any vessel properly registered in its home port (state or country). I cannot say what that means for a dinghy from a state or country that doesn't require registration. I suspect that you would prevail but would need to go to court to do so. Note that foreign vessels are required to present themselves to US customs at the first port of entry

Florida has a dual registration program for vessels visiting for more than 90 days. it is a simple form and relatively modest fee. You do not have to re-title your vessel and do not have to pay any taxes. I have had two vessels dual registered there for 5 years - the 24' center console was $90 for 2 years the 42' trawler was $300 (I think)
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 06:41   #107

Boat: gozzard 44

Since you say your dinghy doesn’t require registration in your homeland why not simply display its hull number on the bow and say that’s all the requirement in NL.
The yachtsman John Rousmaniere, The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, used to contend his tender didn’t require registration, just T/T. I believe it fell on deaf ears.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 06:50   #108

[QUOTE=billknny;2763896]T

If you stay in Florida for more than 90 contiguous days, then you DO need to register both your dinghy and your main vessel.

AND...if in FL, can you simply bip over to the Bahamas as you get to the end of your 90 days and reset the clock?

Don't think so. Meanwhile, you'll prolly haveta pay entry fees into the Bahamas.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 06:57   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1 View Post
Since you say your dinghy doesn’t require registration in your homeland why not simply display its hull number on the bow and say that’s all the requirement in NL.
The yachtsman John Rousmaniere, The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, used to contend his tender didn’t require registration, just T/T. I believe it fell on deaf ears.

Ronbo

It's actually a complicated question, whether other countries are required to accept or deign to accept the absence of any REQUIREMENT to register a vessel, as opposed to the FORM of registration, of the flag state. This is a thing that raged for decades between the UK, which requires no registration of yachts or tenders whatsoever, and France, which strictly requires registration. France accepts UK FORMS of registration, but refused to accept the absence of ANY registration.

Therefore, the Small Ships Registry was created, which simply provides a number and a scrap of paper with no legal meaning at all in the UK, no evidence of title or indeed of anything at all other than that you've sent off for a scrap of paper through the post, but which satisfies foreign jobsworths which require SOME scrap of paper.

Even now some UK yachtsmen refuse to accept France's refusal to accept the UK system, which still leads to occasional friction.

The moral of the story is -- just get the scrap of paper. Are you on your boat to cruise, or to argue with foreign LEO's over the law, an argument you are bound to lose no matter how right you are? And by all means, MARK the tender -- which is the practical matter which I believe is most interesting to the water cops.

What the OP now proposes to do -- mark the tender with the mother ship's registration details -- might be OK. My own tender is un-registered and un-marked, and I've never had any issues in Northern Europe (or the Arctic). But if were to take this boat to Florida (where I have done some years of cruising, and where I received far more hostile attention from LEO's than in the entire rest of my cruising life put together), I would darn sure register the tender in the SSR, mark her, and laminate the meaningless SSR scrap of paper to carry with me at all times. I don't know if there is an equivalent system in the Netherlands, but if there is, that is what I would be using.

In my experience, it is always best in such cases to do your best to figure out what LEO's need, and just give it to them. They have boxes to tick, and if they can't tick them, whether it's your fault or not that they can't tick them, they are going to make your life miserable. Despite the word "law" in the phrase "law enforcement officer", in my experience, LEO's are rarely interested in the law at all, and certainly not in foreign law. The faster you can help them get their box ticked so they can speed off to the next doughnut, the happier they are going to be. They happier they are, the happier you will be. There's something oppressive in that picture, but that's the way the world works, and in my experience, it is quite counterproductive to fight it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:05   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Some local LEO's aren't well versed in the law. A visiting boat (less than 90 days in state waters) doesn't need to register in Florida. A FOREIGN FLAGGED foreign vessel with a valid cruising permit needs to meet the laws of their flag country. In many cases this means noting the dinghy as a Tender To (T/T) the main ship. This exception, however, means it is USED SOLELY as a Tender and not as a separate recreational vessel. No, Florida can't make a visitor register their tender in the above case.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:18   #111

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the “documentation exemption”. If you have a documented vessel and your motor is under a certain size, you do not need registration. Simply paint “TT boat name” on the tender and you are done.......
I believe that used to be true everywhere in the states but now some states insist that you register. I think Maine and Mass do. I have friends who were ticketed in Maine 10 years ago with a documented vessal and t/t on the dingy. It cost them some $$ and they have since registered in Mass.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:19   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Dock,
An issue with just getting the scrap of paper is location, you have to get to a DMV, which can be miles away, and once there they REQUIRE either a title, or manufacturers statement of origin, from which they will issue you a title.
Or at least they have both times I’ve registered a dinghy in FL.

Person who bought my old dinghy from the crook that sold it, called me, he is having trouble registering it, cause the fool he bought it from only gave him a sales receipt and not a title.
I gave him the title when I sold it, so I know he has it.

Even professionals who are supposed to know what they are doing, don’t. I went round and around with the USAA rep on the phone the other day. Our Daughter has the Prius at College with her in Ga. USAA was adamant that they had to issue a Ga Insurence policy, cause the car is garaged in Ga.
Problem is it being registered in Fl, if they cancel the Fl policy, Fl is going to cancel the registration and fine me.
USAA’s answer was that I was supposed to go to the DMV in Fl and explain it.
Think that would work?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:22   #113
CLOD

Boat: none

There is a difference between a CG documented boat and a dinghy to that boat.

But, this has nothing at all to do with the OP in post #1
Old 23-11-2018, 07:24   #114

Boat: Treworgy 50' (65LOA) Custom Pilothouse Staysail Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
In Texas, if it has a motor, it has to be registered. With numbers affixed as well, and the decal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
If any American does not understand that this right extends to every person, even foreigners and a bunch of grungy yachties, and their property, while legally present in the United States….well there is just no hope for you.
Make a copy of this post and laminate it in plastic. Hand it to the next local law enforcement jackass that tries to give you any grief.

If you have only a state registered boat, you're screwed, they will tax the s--- our of you.
Look here officer, jmschmidt says right here I don’t have to have my boat regihere. See, he says so right here!
Officer says, “Oh! jmschmidt! Why didn’t you say so? You’re free to go! Have a nice day!”
Or, more likely:
Officer says, “Who is jmschmidt?”
NotCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:30   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
Yesterday I was pulled over by an official who asked for my registration papers. I was driving my dinghy from my boat to shore. My dingy is a 10ft WalkerBay 10 with a 3hp Yamaha outboard.

I said that I never heard of such nonsense to register a 10ft dinghy but he was persistent and was about to write a ticket. Than I mentioned that I'm a foreign vessel and asked how the h#ll I'm suppose to register a dinghy in the US, being a foreigner. He didn't have an answer and "gave me a warning". In other words, no ticket but close!

My question is, is he right? Do I have to have my dinghy registered in Florida, USA?
I encourage you to remember that registering your dingy helps to retrieve it if it lost or stolen. One incident I recall was on the Chesapeake where violent thunderstorm cause me to lose my dingy near the Bohemia River. As a last ditch effort before replacing it I called the Coast Guard to see if it had been reported. Surprisingly a good Samaritan had found it and turned into the Bohemia yacht club. Upon presenting my registration I'D. it was returned.
Adagio01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 07:31   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Dock,
An issue with just getting the scrap of paper is location, you have to get to a DMV, which can be miles away, and once there they REQUIRE either a title, or manufacturers statement of origin, from which they will issue you a title.
Or at least they have both times I’ve registered a dinghy in FL.

Person who bought my old dinghy from the crook that sold it, called me, he is having trouble registering it, cause the fool he bought it from only gave him a sales receipt and not a title.
I gave him the title when I sold it, so I know he has it.

Even professionals who are supposed to know what they are doing, don’t. I went round and around with the USAA rep on the phone the other day. Our Daughter has the Prius at College with her in Ga. USAA was adamant that they had to issue a Ga Insurence policy, cause the car is garaged in Ga.
Problem is it being registered in Fl, if they cancel the Fl policy, Fl is going to cancel the registration and fine me.
USAA’s answer was that I was supposed to go to the DMV in Fl and explain it.
Think that would work?

That's exactly why you need to deal with it beforehand, rather than relying on persuading a LEO. IF YOU CAN. For the OP's problem, he might have recourse to a really simple solution like the UK SSR, which can be done through the mail -- and from Florida -- with minimal hassle or expense. As to your Prius problem, I can only sympathize.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:02   #117
Marine Service Provider

All states have registration laws , I am only familiar with Florida and NY. If you cruise a documented vessel there , for more than 90 consecutive days, you are required to register the vessel. This applies to dinghys as well as to the documented “mother ship”.
* If your country does not require a seperate dinghy registration, ie ; it is exempt , you might cite the comparable US statute below , which exempts dings of documented vessels , that meet certain criteria. It is likely a US official is not conversant in your native language, so showing him your countries law covering such an exemption , might be problematic.

Here is the law:
Title 33 CFR 173.13
Exemptions
B, 1,2 & 3 apply, if you are claiming your ding as “tender to” your documented vessel.

B) ding must have 10hp or less
1) ding must have same owner as documented vessel
2) ding must have numbers displayed ( same as documentation of mother ship plus a hyphen and a “1 “ )
3) it is used solely for transporting crew to shore.

My ding is a “ tender to” and along with her flares, she carries a laminated copy of Title 33 CFR 173.13 to show authorities if stopped. If I remain in a state more than 90 consecutive days, I will need to register both , per local jurisdictional requirements.

Putting “TT / (name of mother ship)” , is not 100% compliant. Title 33 CFR 173.27 may be referenced for what constitutes legal numerical identification of a documented vessel’s tender , if it qualifies as exempt from state registration per 173.13.

Enjoy your cruise! I’m very happy you only got a warning. Mostly our officials are kind caring individuals looking out for our safety. I hope this info helps clarify the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	901189AA-7861-4DBA-8E49-CB0E4F8C85F7.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	181105  
Capnkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:07   #118

Boat: DeFever 41

There's no legal authority for the old wive's tale that a dingy for a documented vessel does not need to be registered. You take your chances; obviously, many boaters get away with it, but it's still not legally based!

Florida requires that any water vessel (of any length) must be registered if it's motorized; any vessel over sixteen feet in length also needs to be registered. Pretty simple! If you don't want to register your under 16 foot dinghy (or kayak, or canoe) in Florida, don't put a motor on it!
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:10   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Starlight Ketch 64'

In Florida under 16 ft and under 10 horsepower does not need to be registered or titled
captsundancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 08:30   #120

Boat: Discovery 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Title 46, Code of Federal regulations exempts all foreign flagged vessels from all state registration regulations as long as your boat complies with the regulations of your homeland.

In Canada, dinghies are not required to be licensed (= state registration) unless they have a motor more than 9.9hp. so I have no numbers on my dink and have had this argument with Florida water cops on several occasions. I shut them down by pulling out my highlighted copy of Title 46. 4301, 12301 and 12302.

There are a number of other exemptions for foreign vessels. I would not travel in the US without copies of the marine sections of Title 46 and 33 due to US water cops lack of knowledge of their own laws.,.
Brilliant where does one get a copy of that booklet?
Paul Reading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy