Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 05:49   #91

Re: A fine for a not registered 10ft dinghy? FL-US

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While that may be true, it's still preferable compared with asking on an Internet forum. some of the responses here, while we'll-intended, are patently wrong and misleading. I'll take my chances with the folks who do it for a living.
The State of Florida actually has all of these laws and regulations posted on the internet, and they keep the websites pretty current. Hence, it is relatively easy to look up everything you need to know, if you're willing to spend just a bit of time. That's even better than asking a desk jockey at some state agencies, and WAAAAY better than asking a bunch of internet lawyers!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 07:15   #92

Boat: Hunter 33

I ran my unregistered 10' dinghy by Marine Patrol in Marco with a 3hp engine and beer in hand. (I was worried about the beer in the hand not the registration)

I waved at them and they waved back and kept going
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 14:24   #93

Boat: Nonsuch 36

I went ballistic with a permanent marker on my poor WB10 dinghy today. It now has markings that look similar to the ones on the mother ship (Dutch Z registration) and "NLD" as a clue to it's origin. My girl is almost done with a miniature Dutch flag... Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks again for the answers on my question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. For the fanatics that replied that I should read a Floridian law book: do you read the laws of a country you're visiting for a holiday or cruising? Yes? what if you're cruising to a dozen country's doing a bigger trip? Do you spend at least half or your quality time studying stupid laws that partly or not at all apply to you?

The fact that US citizens on this forum don't always have the perfect or even correct answer, says enough about my knowledge concerning US federal, state or CG rules.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 05:04   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
Do you spend at least half or your quality time studying stupid laws that partly or not at all apply to you?
In this case, the rules that apply to you are those related to foreign flagged vessels. Anyone who travels between countries ought to have at least a vague understanding of those rules. Had I been in your situation, the very first words out of my mouth would have been, "I am a Dutch citizen, my vessel is of Dutch registry, and I'm only in the United States for a brief visit." That might well have ended the matter right there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 06:26   #95
CLOD

Boat: none

this thread is an excellent example of how useful an internet forum "answers" can be
Old 21-11-2018, 07:17   #96

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
I went ballistic with a permanent marker on my poor WB10 dinghy today. It now has markings that look similar to the ones on the mother ship (Dutch Z registration) and "NLD" as a clue to it's origin. My girl is almost done with a miniature Dutch flag... Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks again for the answers on my question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. For the fanatics that replied that I should read a Floridian law book: do you read the laws of a country you're visiting for a holiday or cruising? Yes? what if you're cruising to a dozen country's doing a bigger trip? Do you spend at least half or your quality time studying stupid laws that partly or not at all apply to you?

The fact that US citizens on this forum don't always have the perfect or even correct answer, says enough about my knowledge concerning US federal, state or CG rules.
An excellent attempt to displace responsibility by exaggerating the effort required to read a few simple sentences or make a phone call.

And yes, lots of us do ensure compliance with local rules.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:37   #97

Boat: Spacesailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
An excellent attempt to displace responsibility by exaggerating the effort required to read a few simple sentences or make a phone call.

And yes, lots of us do ensure compliance with local rules.
Well said. People who don't find out about their destination's laws end up being detained for infringing something that could easily have been avoided.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:55   #98

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAdelaide View Post
Well said. People who don't find out about their destination's laws end up being detained for infringing something that could easily have been avoided.
I do believe that a member here faced a similar problem in Queensland some years ago regarding the need to register a dinghy, USA registered yacht with all appropriate paperwork etc yet the Muppet that insisted that the dinghy needed to be registered had difficulty realising that to register a vessel in Queensland one needs a Queensland address, somewhat difficult if transiting on a yacht, no?
So just how would you suggest that a short term visitor to another country that supposedly adheres to to and abides by universal international agreements recognising the citizens and vessels of other countries deal with this ?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:56   #99

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
On my prior dinghy I had thought that a "tender to" was exempt from registration, but that did not work when my kids were stopped. It might work for documented vessels, mine is state registered.
Nope.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 21:58   #100

Boat: Various

Quote:
Even if I wanted to register my dinghy or sailing vessel in the US, I can't. My home address is in the Netherlands.
You could register them in the US. You couldn't document them, but state registration doesn't care about your home address.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 04:17   #101
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Millions of boats and other possessions are registered without the owner having a residence there.

It is easy to get a local address for such purposes for those jurisdictions that require them.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 04:19   #102

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I do believe that a member here faced a similar problem in Queensland some years ago regarding the need to register a dinghy, USA registered yacht with all appropriate paperwork etc yet the Muppet that insisted that the dinghy needed to be registered had difficulty realising that to register a vessel in Queensland one needs a Queensland address, somewhat difficult if transiting on a yacht, no?
So just how would you suggest that a short term visitor to another country that supposedly adheres to to and abides by universal international agreements recognising the citizens and vessels of other countries deal with this ?
The last time I read them the Queensland rules specifically exempted foreign flagged vessels.

A lot of this nonsense is pure revenue collection. They work on the assumption that most people will make the economic calculation that it is far cheaper and easier to just pay the fine than endure the costs and frustrations that go with challenging the case in court.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:18   #103
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Or just pay the rego fee, so you don't get fined.

If it's less than the price of a meal ashore, why not?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:27   #104

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Because it's a pain in the butt.

When I registered my dink outside my home state, the clerk had to research the public website before she came to the conclusion it wasn't allowed. I went to another DMV office who allowed it. Indiana also required an inspection by a law enforcement officer to verify the HIN and it's not easy to convince one to drive to the marina. It was enough hassle that I might choose to skip the USA as a foreigner. Fortunately, a cruiser passing through is unlikely to get a ticket with some fast talking and an appropriately thick accent.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:39   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The State of Florida actually has all of these laws and regulations posted on the internet, and they keep the websites pretty current. Hence, it is relatively easy to look up everything you need to knoworida t, if you're willing to spend just a bit of time. That's even better than asking a desk jockey at some state agencies, and WAAAAY better than asking a bunch of internet lawyers!
The problem is that some of those “desk jockies”, are going to the ones interpreting those laws and regulations spelled out on the internet, and a lot of times, their interpretation and application, is going to be anything but consistent.

Otherwise these, “this just happened to me in Florida” threads would go away. But, they never do.

Tags
dinghy