Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 05:23   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 36
A fine for a not registered 10ft dinghy? FL-US

Yesterday I was pulled over by an official who asked for my registration papers. I was driving my dinghy from my boat to shore. My dingy is a 10ft WalkerBay 10 with a 3hp Yamaha outboard.

I said that I never heard of such nonsense to register a 10ft dinghy but he was persistent and was about to write a ticket. Than I mentioned that I'm a foreign vessel and asked how the h#ll I'm suppose to register a dinghy in the US, being a foreigner. He didn't have an answer and "gave me a warning". In other words, no ticket but close!

My question is, is he right? Do I have to have my dinghy registered in Florida, USA?
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 05:30   #2

Re: A fine for a not registered 10ft dinghy? FL-US

It varies by state but often if you add a motor, you need to be registered but if you row smaller boats don't...not sure how being foreign affects this. Technically, you probably need to show evidence that it is properly registered in your home country. That could be a copy of the local laws that show it doesn't require registration.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 05:30   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

I don’t know Florida but have been warned that the same thing can happen in New York State. Since we cross into NY, I have licenced the dinghy (Canadian boat, costs nothing in Canada) and carry the papers in it.
Old 18-11-2018, 05:33   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

In Texas, if it has a motor, it has to be registered. With numbers affixed as well, and the decal.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 05:57   #5

Wow, this is new to me. We've been cruising for more than 3 years now and covered a lot of countries. Non had anything against our not-registered dinghy.

Anyway, what do you, fellow forum members, suggest I should do to comply with US laws. And do I also need another Cruising Permit - just for the 10ft dinghy that I brought into the US?
Old 18-11-2018, 05:57   #6

Boat: Fountain Pajot Saona 47

It is my understanding that Florida will grant up to 90 days for vessels registered in another state or country. I am sure your mother ship is registered in your home country... you are good to go for 90 days. Lots of people forget the same requirement applies to a powered dingy. While your home country might not require your dingy to be registered, if it was, then the same 90 days exemption would apply. If the dingy is NOT registered in your home country, then yes, Florida can require it to be registered.

You probably do not want to register it in Florida, because then they are going to want you title it, with fees (do you have a bill of sale from when you bought it?) AND they will want to charge you use tax. Also will require a valid Florida street address.

Solution: Register the dingy with your home country, or pull the engine and use oars? No engine, less than 16 feet is also exempted.

You will be an attractive target for Florida law enforcement just because your dingy does not have a decal and numbers from somewhere, and/or you use the dingy at night without running lights. Two most common reasons they will randomly stop you.

Sorry, this country (and State) isn't as "Free" as they'd like you to believe...

BTW, welcome to Florida and the United States
jimglasair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:00   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

In this case the most relevant bit is your mothership being a foreign **flagged** vessel, the owner being foreign not so much.

Just need to know the rules about how to maintain that status, and be ready to show evidence.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:30   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

To avoid this stick some numbers that sort of look like your national registration on lucite or wood and tie wrap it to the dinghy. If they ask say it’s registered in home country.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
My question is, is he right? Do I have to have my dinghy registered in Florida, USA?
The way you phrased it is ALMOST right. Your dinghy needs to be registered--somewhere. If you can prove that your dinghy does not need to be registered in your home country (is that true??), then you should be good to go, although the officer on the beat might not be sophisticated enough to make that distinction.

If you stay in Florida for more than 90 contiguous days, then you DO need to register both your dinghy and your main vessel.

Something that is a bit difficult for non-US people to understand is that each state in the USA is in many ways like a separate country when it comes to rules like this. You have to pay just as much attention about changes in rules going from Florida to Texas as you do going from the USA to Canada.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:46   #10

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the “documentation exemption”. If you have a documented vessel and your motor is under a certain size, you do not need registration. Simply paint “TT boat name” on the tender and you are done.......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:51   #11

As a point of reference, in Canada, it's engine size (10 hp).
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 06:58   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
Wow, this is new to me. We've been cruising for more than 3 years now and covered a lot of countries. Non had anything against our not-registered dinghy.

Anyway, what do you, fellow forum members, suggest I should do to comply with US laws. And do I also need another Cruising Permit - just for the 10ft dinghy that I brought into the US?
If you are a Canadian registered or licensed boat you need a Canadian license for your motorised dink. There is no charge for this.
Old 18-11-2018, 06:58   #13

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the “documentation exemption”. If you have a documented vessel and your motor is under a certain size, you do not need registration. Simply paint “TT boat name” on the tender and you are done.......
Could you please provide a reference to that?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 07:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
..... If you can prove that your dinghy does not need to be registered in your home country (is that true) ....
Yes, home country is The Netherlands. No registration needed for pleasure crafts on inland or national coastal waters unless if it's fast going (planing). I registered the big boat when I started sailing abroad. I never registered the dinghy and up until the US nobody ever asked for dinghy papers. The dinghy is mentioned (and insured with) in my big boat insurance papers. Would that count as a registration in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you stay in Florida for more than 90 contiguous days, then you DO need to register both your dinghy and your main vessel.
I will definitely not stay! I'm just visiting on a VISA. Checking out habitats of American folks

I think that just to say "it's not needed in my home country" will not cut it because I don't need to register any pleasure boat (not planing) in The Netherlands.
And I do wonder about registered dinghy's and cruising permits because if it's a boat (legal status:, motored vessel) you must have a cruising permit for it to bring it into the US...
Old 18-11-2018, 07:12   #15

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Could you please provide a reference to that?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/documented-vessels-and-their-dinghys-85521.html
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy