Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 13:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: 4 years until we cruise, What to use the GI Bill for

I don't know what incapacitated you at age 50 such that you doubt that you can pass a the physical for a USCG license. I passed my last one at age 70. Maybe it was like this fellow with some drugs thrown in.

"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:31   #32

Boat: C & C 36

Nahbrown
Sincere thank you for your service!
Will be looking for you "down the line".
Best of luck whatever you choose to do.
One Chance
One Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:43   #33

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

I graduated from a Maritime Academy. Some skills crossover, but fewer than one might think. If I were to go back to school I would be most interested in one of the small boat design and building schools in Maine, North Carolina or Washington. Small boat sailing is much easier and cheaper when you begin to understand the how and why of boat design and building.

Brian
SV Dawn Treader
www.sailingdawntreader.com
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:07   #34

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I don't know what incapacitated you at age 50 such that you doubt that you can pass a the physical for a USCG license. I passed my last one at age 70. Maybe it was like this fellow with some drugs thrown in.

"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard
Just like flying, I would say the ole ticker is the main issue which would squash any idea of a CG ticket.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 16:15   #35

At 59 years of age my DH went thru the maritime engineering year long course at Seattle maritime academy. He is now fully coast guard certified and qualified as a member of an maritime engineering department. He also is a diabetic and a recovering alcoholic. The coast guard scrutinized his medical records a little harder, but he passed
windcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:19   #36

Reply to Dawn Treader. After completing the course my husband rewired our sailboat to ABYC standards. He was also able to troubleshoot and fix the refrigeration system and can work on Diesel engines. He spent 3mobths as an intern on WA State Ferries. He thinks that the amount of hands on experience is what is important. According to him the theory is the same, big or small. He met so many students that had come up from CA to do their internship that were far less capable than those who went through his program. Apparently that school offered very little hands on training. He went thru the year long program in order to obtain the credentials. His thought is if he needs to work at some point, it's easier if one is credentialed.
windcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 23:54   #37

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Shipmate - Thanks for your service!

EMT - when my wife and I "graduated" from USAF in '96 we used permissive TDY to attend an offshore medical course. Good prep but we were leaving shortly, and it fit timing.

I'd do the Skippers/Masters licenses, Welding (TIG) is on my list to learn (racecar and boat), and you might find easy work as a Surveyor. There are few tools, lots of knowledge and effort, but someone is always looking for one in far away ports. Diesel mech at the local community college, etc.

Enjoy your studies, and be sure to not lose sight--and live your dream!

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 03:12   #38
Marine Service Provider

Great to hear you are planning on continuing your education!

Lots of great information here. I agree with the diesel engine mechanic / electronics / refrigeration suggestions. If you think you might want to get into deliveries or running a big boat down the line, the USCG license would help but RYA Yacht Master is more widely recognized and can be converted to a 200 ton USCG license (last time I checked anyway).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions we can help you with.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 03:17   #39

Boat: Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Go and learn accounting and get a CPA. Demand is high, work almost anywhere you want, and every shop keeper we met around the world needs to get their books in order for government. As a CPA, you will be in high demand by American contractors overseas to handle audits, forensic examination of the books, and to ensure reporting compliances. Plus you get to earn close to $200k per year on a part time basis.

Wow. Where can a CPA earn $200K part Time? I'm a CPA and a Partner in a firm and I'm not on that sort of money. The average CPA in Australia is on less than half that, and they have to work 40 hrs a week...
Sailing Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:51   #40

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

I have not gone through this entire list....but here is my factual experience.

As vietnam vet . after discharge from active duty, I used the GI bill to gain a career in aviation. I do not know what they cover as far as Maritime training, but call them and ask.

Here is how it worked for me, and it was easy. i wanted to fly, I was working in high explosives with in 3 days of my discharge. I had been doing that for about a year when I heard the GI bill paid for 90% l of my flight training, but I had to get my private on my own. In those days my cost was $ 720.00 for private ground school, book, plotter, computer ( whiz wheel ) and the dual and solo flight hours. ( down to the bank and took out a loan ).

After I attained my private, Uncle Sam did what he claimed. He paid 90% of my commercial pilor and , instrument rating, multi engine rating, and CFI ( Certified FAA Flight Instructor. It was about 2.5 years or more for me to finish all of that...and my flying career for compensation or hire began.

The lessons all began in Dec of 1967. Today I have 6500 hrs total time, as a flight instructor, charter pilot and corporate pilot, with the last 17 years as an instructor pilot for Air Combat USA flying the fighters.

To get all of this in motion, in 1967, I drove out to Fullerton Airport, Ca. walked into the flight school and asked them if they were qualified to train with the GI Bill......I filled out the short few pages of the request, and that was that. My first flight lesson began a few days later.

The VA process was nt hard at all, I kept everything easy, but I knew what I wanted to do.

I also had a long career, kind of simultaneously in maritime, but I did not use the GI bill . I ammased 720 days at sea documented time ( that took 5 years ) as a sailing and power vessel instructor and charter skipper, , paid for a U.S.C.G prep class, and passed the test for my 100 ton master lic.

I had to renew the lic. every 5 years. The last renewal , 5th issure, the U.S.C.G. upgraded the 100 ton, to 500 tons near coastal.

You do not need a physical to take a U.S.C.G. preparatory school class. These are civiiian companies.

As to the U.S.C.G license I do not remember any problem with a physical.
And prior to the service I was in a very serious auto accident, skull fracture, concussion, pretty much destroyed nose and face, broken legs, and the last rites.

That did not slow me down, I volunteered and joined the Naval Air . As all worked out I had two marvelous careers of flying and sailing until I was
66 years old.

Now at 76, we are still sailing, not for hire, but just for pleasure and will be heading back down to the BVI in a few months for two weeks of bare boating a 36i sailing vessel, just Erica and I.

Point being, you just need to figure out what exactly it is that you wish to do, and hopefully it is something that you have a passion for. Check with the VA GI Bill program and their training school programs, and done deal. You have many years ahead before you take off sailing the planet. However, I am thinking that they are really trying to help vets in a post military career.
Boat maintenance , construction, sail making, etc, might just fit the bill.

I strongly feel, that each individual needs to plan their own future, and if they can work at something that they love and enjoy, life is going to be a marvelous trip. But, I cannot tell what to study or do . That choice is up to you.

All, I can speak of is how I handled using the GI Bill, and how much I have totally enjoyed my travel through life. I loved what I made a living at and have gained marvelous friends, and the lady love of my life, lots of adventures at sea through-out much of the world, as well as professionally flying for over 40 years especially the last 17 years as an instructor pilot flying air combat ( 5 and 6 G dogfights) with paying customers.

Thank you uncle sam for aiding much of that. Neat to be blessed with an amazing and adventurous life...still ticking at 76 yrs .

check with the VA and find out what type of training , and or schooling that they cover. It probably has changed from the Vietnam GI bill, but from what I hear, it is still awesome .

It appears that you have a marvelous life of seagoing adventure on the horizon.

Good on ya, lad.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 10:11   #41

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
We have to wait 4 years to untie the lines and take off so I am curious what others would do with 4 years of free college while waiting to cruise. I could take classes to prepare for life aboard (fixing things in exotic locations) like Diesel engine or electronics courses.

Although I am comfortable with our monthly budget I could focus my education on a skill to generate income while cruising.... after reviewing the monster thread on that subject the options seem limited.

In 4 years I will be 50 and I assume too physically broken to pass a USCG physical so a maritime school is probably out of the question.

So if you were in my situation and couldn't go for 4 years what would you do with 4 years of education?

Thanks for your input!
Get skilled at *marine* diesel repair, stainless/alu welding or even varnishing and make yourself reliable. You will find work all over the Caribbean! Good luck!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 15:09   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

I used my GI Bill to get a degree in History (and to make money since it was the Vietnam Era Bill) where I actually learned a few things. I wasted lots of it though taking math and computer science classes otherwise I could have had an MA in History

You can use your navy training for your future job, but you should go to school to learn something above a simple skill to make money especially at your age
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 16:39   #43

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this thread and the PMs as well!

Some really good ideas have been posted and I plan on looking into a marine Diesel course for starters. I can MIG weld but not TIG and certainly not stainless steel, so perhaps I will go that route as well.

The most interesting thing to me is that the USCG physical seems to be down played by most. I thought it would be like a flight physical....

Again thanks all!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 17:47   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

My dad handed in his pilots license at the age of 84 at 81 he.still passed the physical but by 84 he was and is legally blind but still sailing at 92
Old 18-01-2017, 11:04   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if the op is so broken as to not be able to pass uscg capt license physical, then nursing is out. nursing is a heavy lifting and full body heavy use career choice.
he best go to diesel and electrician and electronix and refrigeration school to learn that which will save him millions of tears and dollars in repairing bills.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise