Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 23:11   #16

Re: 4 years until we cruise, What to use the GI Bill for

Get your off-shore skippers licence. Get all of the licencing to allow you to captain a big power yacht. Maybe buy an old Winnebago and then renovate it. You might learn carpentry, curtain making, mattress repair, gas fitting, electrical wiring, camp cooking, solar/ wind power installation and management. Buy one with a diesel motor and you'll learn all about engine maintenance and repair. As you holiday, you'll learn how to make instant friends and how to get to know a new town in half an hour. You might learn how to live on the smell of an oily rag. Add a dinghy to the camper and you'll learn small boat skills and small engine maintenance. Make it an oldie that, when fully restored migh be worth something ( a streamliner?) When you're ready to hit the water, sell the camper and put the money into retirement.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 01:02   #17

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
We have to wait 4 years to untie the lines and take off so I am curious what others would do with 4 years of free college while waiting to cruise. I could take classes to prepare for life aboard (fixing things in exotic locations) like Diesel engine or electronics courses.

Although I am comfortable with our monthly budget I could focus my education on a skill to generate income while cruising.... after reviewing the monster thread on that subject the options seem limited.

In 4 years I will be 50 and I assume too physically broken to pass a USCG physical so a maritime school is probably out of the question.

So if you were in my situation and couldn't go for 4 years what would you do with 4 years of education?

Thanks for your input!
I'm in a similar situation. Health issues forced me to postpone our circumnavigation plans. I'm using the time to finish my second PhD (Astrophysics). My plan is to work as an online tutor for universities while cruising.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:23   #18

Yes, you have to be approved but RN from the states usually makes that fairly easy to do (assuming you are actually staying in place for a while).

Another one would be teaching (more for 3rd world countries). Native English speakers can often get exemptions.

No matter what, follow the rules. If you aren't allowed to work, you don't work or if you do, don't come crying when you get yourself in a big mess.

Otherwise, diesel mechanic is probably one of the better options. I wouldn't waste the time on USCG license. If you are competent at seamanship, it's mostly documenting that you are competent at seamanship.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 08:45   #19

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Learn spanish, If you plan to sail a round.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdS2 Roland View Post
Hello,
Learn spanish, If you plan to sail a round.

+1 on learning language, but I'd suggest French for utility and not Spanish.
Old 15-01-2017, 09:10   #21

Boat: Boatless

EMT, Diesel, Electronics, USCG Lic (call SeaSchool), Salsa Dancing, Listen to a ton of Stefan Molyneux (philosophy).

The first 3 can be done on 1 year each in some kind of trade school setting. For the diesel and electronics you don't need the degree so negotiate to get what you want.

The USCG can't hurt and the course is short.

The other two just fun and help with conversations otherwise all you'll end up doing is talking blood, fuel and voltage 😝

What an opportunity! Have fun!

oh, a creative writing class for giggles.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:12   #22

As an RN am sure you are aware of the "Compact" that allows working in many other states than your own.....
ccrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:12   #23

If your plans are not to learn something to use for income, but rather, as I read your OP, what can help your own boating life, consider this:

Often we are faced with questions that go: "I don't know nuttin' 'bout elekrticity," or "Diesel engines frighten me," and "What spares should I take?"

So, think about the important boat SYSTEM and EQUIPMENT issues.

Figure out what you don''t know, and learn it. Take a diesel class that has the engine that is in YOUR boat. Learning about Yanmars when you own a Universal or Perkins ain't gonna help you much, you can learn about the concept of how diesel engines work from a book, but hands-on about YOUR specific engine is priceless.

Here's a list of topics of a recurring nature that give you a list of things to deal with, including electrical.

"101" Series - Quick Links to "Popular" Topics includes "Electrical Systems 101"

If you read even just the topics it will give you an overview of what you'll need to master.

Unless you're rebuilding the inside of a boat, I don't think woodworking is something you'll need.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:11   #24

A good friend of mine used his G.I. bill to become a sailmaker. It's nice to have a second or third language also.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:48   #25

My DH at the age of 59 went thru a year long course at Seattle Maritime accademy. He now has credentials as a certified member of the engineering department. He also has diabetes and is a recovering alcoholic. The coast guard did request additional medical info, but he did receive all of his required credentials. If this is something you are interested in pursuing, start applying for your TWIC card now. That alone takes a long time to process.
windcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:36   #26

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welding, with a particular emphasis on stainless and cast iron.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:37   #27

Go and learn accounting and get a CPA. Demand is high, work almost anywhere you want, and every shop keeper we met around the world needs to get their books in order for government. As a CPA, you will be in high demand by American contractors overseas to handle audits, forensic examination of the books, and to ensure reporting compliances. Plus you get to earn close to $200k per year on a part time basis. You are looking a gift horse in the mouth, so do not waste your g.i. educational opportunities.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:53   #28

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

It appears you don't need money...

But regardless of cash, there is a demand for diesel mechanics, Air Conditioning Techs and Electrical techs on cruising boats. Also canvas/sail repair. Having a working knowledge of the above trades and some tools will save you money in labor costs.

My wife speaks five languages... We found that English & Spanish worked great in Central America and the Western Caribbean. Knowing French and Italian helped a little with fellow cruisers.

Taking as many maritime classes as possible will help too... The easiest way is to take the USCG Licensing Classes.

You would be surprised about the USCG Medical, I worked as an AB on a Commercial boat with a Captain (1600-ton) who had a plastic hip and a bad knee. He worked the ship till he died at the age of 76.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:59   #29

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi
you do not mention how much sailing experience you have. Obviously the more hours on the water, and actually sailing, the better. (assuming you want to sail and not motor) Forget the non tidal areas, go for the challenging tidal stuff and cram the courses in such as survival at sea, first aid, short range radio, and long range radio if you can if you plan on using SSB, and geek coat repairs, power boat handling (for your tender). Learn about diesel engine maintenance and repairs, marine electronics and plumbing. You might even wish to put yourself through a Yacht Surveying Course which will really help you in choosing a boat, and may even earn you some pennies in the future. Remember that when you are out in the middle of an ocean and something goes wrong, you have a limited number of people you can call on to find a solution; you and your crew.

Good luck from one (Brit) vet to another, (and yes I have back, knee and ankle issues too but they do not seem to be so bad when I am on a boat)
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 13:19   #30

Boat: '95 Catalina 30

Thanks for your military service, NahBrown!

I used my GI Bill for an AS in Electronics then went on for a BA in Communication. Graduated in my youth at 49 I agree with the RN idea. I hear there is a world shortage of nurses. Great employment opportunities!

I'm looking forward to this season having just bought a '95 Catalina 30 MKIII. Have sailed only cat boats in the past. I've been an avid self-studier of late reading voraciously on navigation, Seamanship, maintenance, diesels, novels; Oh, and sailing jargon is a course all by itself!

Looking forward to cruising the C30 from Cape Cod to Saco Bay in the spring.

Cheers and good luck!
jamesdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise