Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2014, 16:17   #31

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: 10 days to see if wife likes it

last year I spent time in Grenada in June and August ,It was better than I thought it would be ,and a beautiful place to be .Also in "season " no need for Ac as the wind makes it very pleasant . There are charter people there to help Talk to Chris at LTD sailing in Grenada .

Old 26-12-2014, 18:16   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree with others that a "Cruise and Learn" charter course.... will empower your wife with the knowledge she needs to be more comfortable in following your dream.

The introduction should be tempered with benign sailing conditions and fun activities.....

Those who immediately want to test their spouses in rough conditions are either dumb or racers (not cruisers)

Old 26-12-2014, 18:54   #33

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Firstly, Welcome Aboard.
And info wise, the tips to have her take a women's only course are wise ones. I think we know that for the most part, women learn differently than men. And this is especially the case on boats, where yelling is common (albeit necessary). Plus there are a lot of other new stressors. Without the comforts & conveniences of land life.

Nor, for the most part, can you call a "time out", & take a breather when sailing, & come back to handle situation X, later. So learning both the sailing skills, plus the self reliance, without guys around can be a big help to a lot of gals.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 19:49   #34

Boat: Hunter 386

July and August are a great time to cruise the Gulf Islands. Quiet anchorages and stunning scenery. Blue Pacific, Coopers and Island Cruising all have cats so if you have the shekels, hire a Captain (which is probably cheaper than airfare to most other areas) and you are good to go.

And if you want something more cosmopolitan, Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle are all likely within reach.
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 09:30   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If the Mrs. is adventurous, & you've got a bit of coin floating around, here's an idea. Sign on for a stint with Skip Novak & his crew www.pelagic.co.uk And if you manage to book the right trip, you'll possibly have a shot at seeing penguins & our southern most continent ;-) - Truly an adventure to be remembered.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 18:49   #36
senior windbag

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Check out Narragansett Sailing School in Rhode Island. I believe they have one catamaran in charter along with several monos. Summer is ideal for exploring the New England coast.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-12-2014, 19:23   #37

Boat: None yet
Second or third the idea of a sail in the west coast gulf

I'm just south of you in Lethbridge. I was basically in the same situation last year. I ended up booking a sail and learn cruise out of Comox that went to Desolation Sound and area- it was beautiful. Warm waters, no swell, amazing scenery, albeit very little wind.

We learned a lot and the most important fact was that my wife really enjoyed the experience. It was a great introduction to sailing. I'm now arranging a charter for next summer.

Good Luck!
Old 29-12-2014, 19:06   #38

Thanks to everyone who responded to the call for help. Have read them all and we are going to be making a further decision shortly. You guys and gals gave some great ideas. Again thanks and take care to all of you. Have a great New Year wherever you are.

Tom Gorham
Old 30-12-2014, 04:36   #39
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Be careful, going on a crewed charter is a million miles from " going cruising ' yourself. Don't take it as any sort of definitive answer your wife is ready or has accepted the lifestyle. In may give you some pointers that all

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Welcome to CF Tom.

As an intro focussed on your wife, I would second BVI as a user friendly...short day sail... charter spot.
You can also avail of off season rates and quieter anchorages during your time frame.

Remember to tell her that cruising life is about 85% at anchor or marinas, exploring new cultures, then short hops to new places..... So keep this trip realaxed and balanced with shore side fun ....rather than to focus on just the sailing.
Good luck!

Great advice ole man, which is definitely part of my plan. But, I am thinking only two days, with one initial "marina' stop" and not too many afterwards - especially since we've been sitting in one a bit too long already : )

Best regards to you and yours,

G2L
Old 01-01-2015, 04:54   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Tom,

Ok, you are tryi g to "manipulate" your half, with love.

Your best, and most needed, support must come from another woman , and another retired couple.

chartering wou!d be little or no use. We dont know yohr level of experience.... anyhow, show her it js an act of love, watering together....
"Manipulation through love". I like that. Sounds a bit Machiavellian, but if the wives are masters at it, why not ... : )

On a slightly more serious note, it seems to me that cruising should be just another step in the rest of a couple's life together. There will be trials and adaptations, lots of problems to solve and lots of sharing to do - in other words, lots of what we've already been used to doing, but in a new, probably more challenging environment.

Realistically, the only way to know if a new lifestyle fits is to try it on (albeit, perhaps, gently and progressively, as some other folks up the thread have suggested.

Bottom line is that a sailboat can always be sold later, and the joys and trials shared in any new adventure will hopefully bring the couple concerned closer to each other.

Liked your suggestions,

G2L
Old 01-01-2015, 05:50   #42

Check out this blog Zero to Cruising! this is couple that offers charters on a catamaran in the BVIs. From their blog, you can really get a feel for and appreciate the care and attention to detail they offer their guests and the way they maintain the boat. It looks pristine, and they have the whole balance thing going between short sails and land activities.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: