Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 06:16   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Your favorite spot in the Thousand Islands

OK, give it up. Tell us where you like to be.

I'll start. I love the little "bay" on the NE side of Endymion, between Endymion and Sunset Island.

It is so quiet, without any through traffic. The approach can be frightening to new sailors, since one has to pass big rocks way off shore, but there is plenty of water. The water is clear and clean and it's a mud bottom. It's protected from everything except a NE.

We sat and watched mink play on Endymion, and a heron relaxing on the spit of Sunset.

My other favorite place many will scoff at- the municipal pier at Cape Vincent. No power. It's often full, so you can't get on the pier. The bottom is shale, so anchoring isn't a very good option. Tempers can get hot when a boat wants to squeeze in but other boats are taking too much space.

But if you get there at 10am the dock is open. As boats arrive those whom you help in (and recommend they leave space for others) become friends. Impromptu happy hour on the picnic table- I can't count the number of times I've made dinner for those I'd just met that day.

The walk up to the Tibbits Point lighthouse is long, but enjoyable. Walking along the shoreline one tries to stay well off of provides a vastly differing view compared to that from way out in the channel.

I love to watch the freighters. We have the book listing the freighters and birgees, and the kids enjoy recording those we spot. They are very impressive.

There is the DEC building with some aquariums, a liquor store, and a place for breakfast. The small market is just across the street.

Maybe part of my love for CV is when I busted my knee off Galloo and went into CV. I was adopted by a local couple who fed me and took care of me for days.

But I think it's the power- or lack thereof. It keeps away the 60 Amp hogs and those that "just have to plug in". It keeps the TV crowd at other places, leaving only those who would rather watch the river and stare at stars. Certainly, the fastest way to ruin the CV spirit would be to install AC power on the pier.

I know there are many other places. Schoolhouse Bay, Leek Island, but I'll leave mine at two favored spots.

Who's next?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 15:34   #2

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Question Your favorite spot in the Thousand Islands

I have no idea where any of those places you mentioned are. I've never heard of any of them, or the Thousand Islands... Which Great Lakes are they in?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Old 21-03-2017, 15:54   #3

Boat: Douglas 32
Re: Your favorite spot in the Thousand Islands

Tetepare,
Quote:
NE side of Endymion, between Endymion and Sunset Island.
Do you mean Sundown Island, not Sunset? There are several unnamed islands around Endymion...

We spent a couple of days at Grenadier Island, anchored between Hooper and Shanti Islands. Long sand beach, covered picnic building. Mud bottom, but there is an unmarked electrical cable running north-west from Shanti Island to shore. We snagged it when raising the anchor in a south wind. ( is open from the south! ) Got free of it by raising the anchor and dropping it fast.

We docked twice at Stovin Island ( Canada Parks, south west end dock ) covered picnic building, tick warnings. Good protection from freighter wakes, but open to the wakes of powerboats traveling past the south side of the island.
- Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote