Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2010, 20:21   #1

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Windsor, Ontario to Québec City

I am planing a summer cruise for next year that would involve going down lake Erie, through the Welland, through lake ontario to Kingston, then going up the Rideau canal to Ottawa, down the Ottawa river to Montreal and then the St. Laurence to Québec city. (perhaps around the Gaspé peninsula to the Bay of Chaleur)

My concern is with tides once past Montreal, are there issues I should be aware of other than travelling with the timing of the tides whenever possible, and of course, being cautions of varying depths.

Would like to have the insights of people who have been through that part of the St. Laurence as to what I can expect.

My return would bring me back to Kingston on the St. Laurence to take the Trent Severn canals to Georgian Bay to do the North Channel and then return to Windsor.
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 05:55   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
If you're traveling in your Sea Ray you won't have any problem with tides past Montreal to Quebec City. You can check Notships (Notices to Shipping) on the Canadian Coast Guard Quebec region web site (Marinfo) to help plan your trip. Shoaling is an issue on many parts of the St. Lawrence and they're all listed on that site. There's a map interface you can sign up for to help with trip planning. The commercial shipping lanes are well marked so if you can keep it within the cans you'll be fine.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
If you're traveling in your Sea Ray you won't have any problem with tides past Montreal to Quebec City. You can check Notships (Notices to Shipping) on the Canadian Coast Guard Quebec region web site (Marinfo) to help plan your trip. Shoaling is an issue on many parts of the St. Lawrence and they're all listed on that site. There's a map interface you can sign up for to help with trip planning. The commercial shipping lanes are well marked so if you can keep it within the cans you'll be fine.
Thanks Knotty, I will definitely check that out.

I will be travelling in the RaySea lady not a Sea Ray .. It is a Bluewater with only 32" draft. Keeping in the shipping channel sounds like a plan.

Are there a lot of locks from Montreal on down?
Old 26-08-2010, 08:38   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
Are there a lot of locks from Montreal on down?
Not once you clear the Seaway locks. Here's the link to the St. Lawrence Seaway pleasure craft guide.

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/...craftguide.pdf
Old 26-08-2010, 08:42   #5

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Once out of the Ottawa River you will be on Lake of Two Mountains, from there one Parks Canada pleasure craft lock into Lake St.Louis at Ste.Anne de Bellevue. Once in Lake St.Louis' south eastern end you will be in the St.Lawrence Seaway, 1 seaway lock at St.Catherine and 1 more at St.Lambert (you will see downtown Montreal from here). St.Lambert is the last eastern lock of the seaway system.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 17:01   #6

thanks for the wealth of info so far.

I love this place.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32   #7

RaySea Lady:

I'm planning my 2011 cruise to go thru the Welland from Erie to Ontario at the end of May, then out the St. Lawrence Seaway to Gaspe, PEI, NS.

Do you or others know if there are anchorages to be found while travelling the SLS?

BTW, I just bought Capt. Cheryl Barr's Down East Circle Cruising Guide. It came highly recommended to me from multiple sources. I just got it, so I haven't read it yet, but I'm expecting it to be an excellent guide with regard to the tides and currents along the SLS and beyond.
Murphiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingKelly View Post
RaySea Lady:

I'm planning my 2011 cruise to go thru the Welland from Erie to Ontario at the end of May, then out the St. Lawrence Seaway to Gaspe, PEI, NS.

Do you or others know if there are anchorages to be found while travelling the SLS?

BTW, I just bought Capt. Cheryl Barr's Down East Circle Cruising Guide. It came highly recommended to me from multiple sources. I just got it, so I haven't read it yet, but I'm expecting it to be an excellent guide with regard to the tides and currents along the SLS and beyond.
Sorry, can't help you out yet... Just got Cheryl's two books in the mail yesterday also so, I have some reading to do.
Old 17-10-2010, 13:50   #9

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingKelly View Post
Quote:
Sorry, can't help you out yet... Just got Cheryl's two books in the mail yesterday also so, I have some reading to do.
Can you Guys tell me where you got Cheryl Barr's books? I'd be interested in getting her book regarding SLS. And RaySea Lady, what is the second book of hers that you got (if you don't mind)? Did you get them online?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 14:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Can you Guys tell me where you got Cheryl Barr's books? I'd be interested in getting her book regarding SLS. And RaySea Lady, what is the second book of hers that you got (if you don't mind)? Did you get them online?

Thanks,
Extemp.

Hi,

Her phone number is 902-624-8664, she is in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Her two books are, The Down East Circle Route and The Canadian Maritimes.

You can also email her at yachtpilot@eastlink.ca

She is most helpfull, when you talk to her she will probably offer that you call her anytime for any other information you might need about the route. That alone is worth the price of the book. She would be a great resource.
Old 17-10-2010, 15:42   #11

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:

Hi,

Her phone number is 902-624-8664, she is in Mahone Bay Nova Scotia.

Her two books are, The Down East Circle Route and The Canadian Maritimes.

You can also email her at yachtpilot@eastlink.ca

She is most helpfull, when you talk to her she will probably offer that you call her anytime for any other information you might need about the route. That alone is worth the price of the book. She would be a great resource.
Good Stuff.

Thanks RaySea Lady.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 16:27   #12

Re: Windsor, Ontario to Québec City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
Once out of the Ottawa River you will be on Lake of Two Mountains, from there one Parks Canada pleasure craft lock into Lake St.Louis at Ste.Anne de Bellevue. Once in Lake St.Louis' south eastern end you will be in the St.Lawrence Seaway, 1 seaway lock at St.Catherine and 1 more at St.Lambert (you will see downtown Montreal from here). St.Lambert is the last eastern lock of the seaway system.
Hi Drumroll,

We are a few weeks from departure for our trip to quebec. One of the things that concerns me is the St. Anne canal, my charts indicate 3ft of water in that canal, can you remember if this is true. My garmin charts supposedly convert meters to feet, however, i think this one was missed and it is 3 meters and not feet. If it is 3 feet, I can't make it through there as I draw 4.

Your confirmation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2011, 16:36   #13

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Your Garmin is definitely reading meters. The pleasure craft locks at St.Anne de Bellevue have at LEAST 10 feet of draft and right now we're at record breaking high water levels so depth sounder readings of 14+ feet wouldn't be surprising. I have moved my boat away from Montreal to Eastern Lake Ontario/Bay of Quinte region a few weeks ago.
Have a great trip!
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 16:39   #14
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IIRC there's 8 or 9' of water in the lock. It lifts about 3' so maybe that's what you saw on your chart.
Old 05-06-2011, 18:04   #15

Thanks a bunch guys !

Your input is Greatly appreciated !

Tags
ontario, quebec, windsor