Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 19:27   #16

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: Where to Drop / Step the Mast on the Erie Canal

Came thru this canal on a C&C 35 from the BVI in June on our way to Toronto in '91... At the time I didn't know any better, had no internet or cruising buddies, and few resources. There were only 2 of us on board, 12 days from Virgin Gorda and this was our second stop (1st was in Manhattan to clear in - but that's another story).

We stopped at a city float (there were only 2) just after the bridge in Troy, found a payphone and called a local wrecking company. I asked them if they had a boom truck, and they did. asked him to come on down to the rivers edge, and swing by the beer store and the hardware store on the way. he was there inside an hour, with a 24 of cold beer, 4, 2x4x8's (which we built two mast support A-frames from) and a wrecker with a boom. An hour later we had the boom lashed to the cradles on the deck, only 6 beer left, and a new best buddy! He went up the river with us a few miles and showed us a good spot for the night, then caught a cab back to his truck and (i suppose) drove it home. maybe he slept in it all night... or maybe took the cab home. I dunno - things were different then.

Anyway - we had a hoot of a trip thru there to Oswego - hit every little backwater pool bar there was it seemed, and had a couple of week long delays due to lock failures. My dad drove down from Nova Scotia and joined us for a week, and generally it was a lovely relaxed trip. glad to hear it's still fun! must do that run again sometime. but maybe in a power boat this time.

bg
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 17:29   #17

Boat: Mirage 33

NOt mentioned in this thread is northbound on the Hudson. I am reading you can raise your mast at Whitehall.
wrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 10:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
Did the canal from Buffalo to Albany a couple of weeks ago and wanted to post our experience for everyone's benefit. Mast down at Rich Marine. I had them build the supports too and they did a top notch job. The crew was very experienced and helpful. Mast up at Riverview in Catskill. Really nice people there. Also did a first rate job. Facilities were clean and well kept and the town of Catskill had good food, liquor store and groceries in walking distance.
Not to dig up an old thread but I've been researching a trip through the canal. I contacted Rich Marine just now and even though their website says they do full mast unstep work they just responded to my email saying they no longer do masts at all and to try "RCR" or wardell.
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

FYI, Smith Boys Inc in Tonnawanda aren't really in the mast restepping business anymore. Focused more on power boat business line.
theBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast