Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 21:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau 36
USA Stickers...

Group :

As I'm told, the US gov't wants us to have some sort of sticker if we come over & visit the USA by boat.

I'd be glad to donate to your bottom-line...really...however, as I understand it, these mistery stickers can't be bought locally in the Detroit area.

Do any of you have any information about all this ?

As a Canadian, I just want to try to get along & don't want to excite any Rambo types because they might think I refused to comply.

Thanks in advance.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 21:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You need to come over here so you can learn what we are really like...honestly, very few here are Rambo types. In fact, most Americans are not even like the people you see in the movies! You guys don't all wear red lumber jack shirts do ya? Just messin' with you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 22:38   #3

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Group: As a Canadian, I just want to try to get along & don't want to excite any Rambo types because they might think I refused to comply.
Hahaha, and don't forget...

Quote:
You guys don't all wear red lumber jack shirts do ya?
Haha, I love it. Stereotypes are so much fun...

I do know a few Rambo types, but they're not gonna get all pumped up about stickers on ur boat, and Canucks fit right in anyway IMHO, eh?

From homeland security's website:
Land/Sea Travel
Cheers

Bill
Old 20-01-2009, 23:06   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Hi Paul...I'm both Canuck and American. While things are done a little different down here, there is never a problem providing you fill out the proper paperwork when you come. Contact the U.S. customs close to you for what you need. Once here, you will blend right in. Hopefully things will lighten up down here as we have a new boss running the country.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 03:13   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Paul,

The procedures for entry by boat can be a bit different than those by land. Take a look at this CBP website. It should have, or link to, everything you need to know.

Canadian Border Boat Landing (I-68)
Old 21-01-2009, 04:33   #6

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Paul,
As far as I know, things have not changed for boaters, yet.
Try the following link, as my buddy keeps up on all that border stuff.
Reporting Requirements

You guys up north have it easy. I have to buy a form, buy a sticker, get fingerprinted ( every stinking yr ), and I still have to call and get harassed, just to get back into my own country. When I get to Canada, I call customs, and they ask how much liquor and fruit I have on board. I then hang up, and run back to the boat and give away all my wine and beer, rum and limes stay. The Canadian customs people almost always show up at the dock, but are friendly as can be.

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
pjbsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:24   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Paul,
Things have changed a bit since "our" 9/11. There are not any new laws on the books its just that with our new Home Land Security existing rules are being enforced. I'm not sure how long you have lived in the area, but I assure you that your frustration is shared by your neighbors on the other side of the lake.

Have you and crew gotten a NEXUS card?(or a form I68? ) They make checking in a breeze! (for both directions)

I spend the whole summer sailing back and forth to Canada,and my many Canadian friends do the same. Unfortunately if you have a boat 30' and over,and you want to land in the U.S. and you want to follow the law, its gonna cost you $27.50/year.( by the way,US vessels returning from Canada are also required to have the sticker, we aren't just picking on Canadians) I bet you would save that in one fuel fill up!

I'm pretty sure every thing can be done on-line. Here's a couple phone numbers you can call to see if you can pick them up in person, and a link to the CBP site. Good luck, hope to see you around this summer. Hope this helps.
Name:Detroit-Windsor TunnelPhone:(313) 393-3793Fax:(313) 226-2193Operational Hours:Twenty Four (24) Hours A Day
Seven Days A Week (7)

Name:Ambassador Bridge Passenger FacilityPhone:(313) 226-3141Fax:(313) 226-3179Operational Hours:Twenty Four (24) Hours A Day
Seven Days A Week (7)

The Reason Behind The Fee(sticker):

Introduction
On April 7, 1986, President Ronald Reagan signed the Consolidate Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) (P.L. 99-272), which authorizes the U.S. Customs Service to collect user fees for various services. The law, initially established processing fees for air and sea passengers, commercial trucks, rail cars, private vessels, dutiable mail packages, and Customs broker permits. The collection of the COBRA fees for Customs services began on July 7, 1986.

The User Fee was established to offset inspection costs that were previously funded solely by general taxpayer revenue.

User Fee Payment Required

Payment of the User Fee is required if:
  • You operate a vehicle for commercial purposes that enters the United States.
  • You operate a private vessel that is 30 feet or more in length that enters the United States.
  • In order to qualify as a private vessel requiring a decal, the vessel cannot carry passengers who pay a fare.
  • You operate an aircraft, which is non-commercial and enters the United States.
There is more detailed information related to the requirements of the User Fee in the Code of Federal Regulations: 19 CFR 24.22.

Cost of Annual User Fee

2009 costs of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) User Fees are as follows:
  • Private Aircraft Decal: $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
  • Private Vessel Decal (30 feet or more in length): $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year*
  • Commercial Vehicle User Fee – $100.00 – U.S. CBP, $105.00 – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
    • Canadian Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year
    • Mexican Border – $205.00 (U.S.) per calendar year
APHIS is responsible for protecting U.S. crops and livestock from pests and diseases and for monitoring and promoting wildlife management and animal welfare. The current proposal published in the Federal Register on February 26, 2007 indicates the removal of Canada’s exemption from the APHIS Fee for Commercial Vehicles is scheduled for June 1, 2007.

The User Fee will not be pro-rated for purchases made mid- year. The User Fee year begins January 1st and ends December 31st. Therefore, all User Fees expire January 1st and are eligible for renewal.

This is the page with the complete info: User Fee Decals and Transponders - CBP.gov

If you Google CBP you will find the home site.
FairWinds
-Sandy
sandy davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:14   #8

Boat: Beneteau 36
Sandy :

Thanks for all that information !!

Look for us aboard Winpipe at Lakeview Park Marina in Windsor this summer.

We're almost neighbors !!
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Paul,
I popped into your web-site, Winpipe looks very familiar. I believe we have been anchored at Peche Is. a time or two when you have " buzzed " the anchorage. We spend a lot of time in your neighborhood, I'll keep an eye out for you. The name of my boat, a Cape Dory 27, is Blind Faith, and I've always got my first mate Wyatt with me ( a grey Austrailian Shepherd ).

If you ever make it over to our side of the river stop by the Edison Boat Club, I'll mix you and your crew a Dark-n-Stormy!

FairWinds
-Sandy
sandy davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 16:57   #10

Boat: Endeavour 37
Hello blind faith

Just a update. I ordered my 2009 Decal online and recieved it in about 9 days by regular mail. Last year I was slow and paid the extra for express mail and ordered Tuesday and had it for the weekend.

Good to see all the Lake St.Clair sailors on line.

If winter ever ends maybe we can go sailing.

Maybe anchor at Peche Is and dinghy over to Lily Kazillys for some prime rib.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote