Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 22:08   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
US Address ?

I understand that some places allow you to use their establishments address to have items (purchases) shipped to. I think?? these are usually Marina's but don't know. I'm sure I've been told there are Businesses that provide this service. Can anyone enlighten me. I'm in Kingston, Ontario area (east lake ontario) and would like to make some purchases in the States and have them delivered State side at which time I would go there (where ever there is) and pick them/it up, and bring them back across the border myself. I think this would be much cheaper then having a Company ship across the Border.

Anyone??

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 22:18   #2

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
I'm not sure of the options for what you are trying to do but St. Brendans Isle is a mail forwarding company that offers a variety of services and has a good reputation. There are other companies that offer similar services but St. Brendans is the first that comes to my mind at the moment. They may be able to help you, or point you in the direction of a someone that can:

Mail Forwarding Services at St Brendan's Isle
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 15:32   #3

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52
Contact any UPS store. They bought Mail Boxes Etc. and that is what they do.

The UPS Store: Locations

here you can find out your closest store.

Have fun...
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 16:42   #4

Well.... I almost feel silly now.
Thanks!

I will check with the Ogdensburg, NY UPS Store tomorrow.
I'm thinking I will have to buy a monthly service which would be more than I need. Does anyone know of anyone (in that area) that provides one time or intermittent mail receiving services?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 18-10-2010, 16:54   #5

There's the General Delivery service from the USPS. Never used it myself.

USPS - Receive Mail at Other Locations
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 17:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
There's the General Delivery service from the USPS. Never used it myself.

USPS - Receive Mail at Other Locations
I'll check that tomorrow too.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 19-10-2010, 16:04   #7

FYI So far

UPS - Will receive your parcels at $5 per parcel. Apparently you just have the sender put your name in place of "The UPS Store" with the street address below that. They will hold the parcel until you pick it up. All this without any previous arrangement. This seams both odd and risky to me, but that is what they told me. You can also rent an address from them for $18/month which would include 5 no additional charge parcels /month.

USPS - Will (one time only) receive a shipment but repeated many times that this was a one time only solution. They will rent you a PO Box for around $20 for 6 months. Different Post Offices have different prices.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 26-10-2010, 21:27   #8

Boat: 33Owens Concorde-Kokomo North
I live near Sault Ste Marie,On and use the UPS address across the border all the time. It allows me to do the Customs declaration myself and saves a lot of time between ordering and receiving-very convenient and not a lost parcel in about 60 shipments
goin2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 16:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2slow View Post
I live near Sault Ste Marie,On and use the UPS address across the border all the time. It allows me to do the Customs declaration myself and saves a lot of time between ordering and receiving-very convenient and not a lost parcel in about 60 shipments
Funny..... I happened upon a review of the vary UPS Store that I would use and the review was horrendous. Now, it's not that I put a lot of stock in one review.... but when I talked to them on the phone, they certainly did not instill confidence!
AND it looks like YOU have already used ALL of the good luck with parcels and UPS.
You're 0 for 60 (problems). I'm sure I'd be 1 for 1.
Ah, who knows.

I'm leaning toward the USPS mailbox.
$40.00/year I think is worth the miniscule accountability one might?? get.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:10   #10

Boat: 33Owens Concorde-Kokomo North
Well, $40 is OK if you don't intend to do more than 8 deals. Also, if you buy on ebay be aware that a good number of sellers will only ship to a physical address and not to P.O. boxes.
goin2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 19:17   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
My UPS box is an actual address- not a PO box. It's worked well so far on the vendor end but the clowns at the UPS store did give the $150 lifejacket I ordered to some random person without checking for an ID. The lifejacket was never to be seen again and the store had to write me a check for the price plus shipping. I think they wanted me to feel guilty that the money was coming out of the clerk's paycheck but I'm pretty certain I worked harder to earn my money than he did considering he can't even check to see that he is giving packages to the right person. ...Then again, the jerk who kept the lifejacket isn't all that great either.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 19:27   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
. . . I'm in Kingston, Ontario area (east lake ontario) and would like to make some purchases in the States and have them delivered State side at which time I would go there (where ever there is) and pick them/it up, and bring them back across the border myself. . . .
Thanks, Extemp.
You did not say how you would be paying for the items you want. If you are planning to purchase them on the internet or by telephone using a credit card it is highly unlikely you will be able to have them shipped anywhere except to the "address of record" for the credit card.
- - There are so many stolen credit card numbers that the companies selling the stuff do not want to be stuck with "eating" the costs of a shipment that is not positively or as best as they can determine - going to the actual owner of the credit card.
- - Long term cruisers set up their address of record for their bank and credit cards to the mail service organization like St. Brendans Isle or a relative. Then the items purchased can be sent to the address of record on the credit card and forwarded to you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 19:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prerequisite View Post
My UPS box is an actual address- not a PO box. It's worked well so far on the vendor end but the clowns at the UPS store did give the $150 lifejacket I ordered to some random person without checking for an ID. The lifejacket was never to be seen again and the store had to write me a check for the price plus shipping. I think they wanted me to feel guilty that the money was coming out of the clerk's paycheck but I'm pretty certain I worked harder to earn my money than he did considering he can't even check to see that he is giving packages to the right person. ...Then again, the jerk who kept the lifejacket isn't all that great either.
If I go UPS, it will likely be the store that they transferred this clerk to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You did not say how you would be paying for the items you want. If you are planning to purchase them on the internet or by telephone using a credit card it is highly unlikely you will be able to have them shipped anywhere except to the "address of record" for the credit card.
- - There are so many stolen credit card numbers that the companies selling the stuff do not want to be stuck with "eating" the costs of a shipment that is not positively or as best as they can determine - going to the actual owner of the credit card.
- - Long term cruisers set up their address of record for their bank and credit cards to the mail service organization like St. Brendans Isle or a relative. Then the items purchased can be sent to the address of record on the credit card and forwarded to you.
Good point!
I have had to deal with this in the past and was simply able to register/associate the address (P.O. Box in this case) with the card.

I think this will work again?

Thanks,
Extemp.