Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2013, 12:12   #1

transiting locks at Sault Ste Marie. (RABC?)

hey all!

currently in the process of commissioning my lovely new/used C&C 24 for a great loop trip (full or partial) beginning here in the UP of Michigan, in the port of Marquette.

after reading a bit I was curious about southbound transiting of the soo locks. I found that the Canadian side wants you to have the remote area border crossing permit for transiting ,, as it says on their website the "upper lock system". it seems the turn around time is about 3 weeks and includes a 30$ application fee. has any one dealt with this going north or south bound in a recreational vessel? do i need one at all?

I was considering putting in at Escanaba, and starting the trip on Lake Michigan to avoid bad weather and Canadian bureaucracy

here is the link http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/.../menu-eng.html

Old 13-06-2013, 12:13   #2

Re: transiting locks at Sault Ste Marie. (RABC?)

CANPASS Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC)

Old 14-06-2013, 20:26   #3

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
We locked down through the Soo Locks today. Our trip from Duluth took us through Marquette, Munising, Grand Marais and Whitefish Point. I can give you up to date info on all harbors.

We went down the American locks because we did not want to confuse the CBP. It's tough enough already to comply with the regs and interpretation varies. There was no delay and the locks were equipped to handle small boats. Easier than locking down the big Mississippi locks in Minneapolis. Hail "American Lock" on channel 14.

Enrolling in the CBP SVRS system might make dealing with CBP easier because it is easy for them to verify you are legit. We were stopped by them as we exited Lake Superior.

We were also stopped by the USCGS earlier in our trip. They are very professional and friendly but you need to make sure you have your passport, boat registration in order. The USCG will also check your safety equipment, holding tank and bilge/oil pads.
Old 14-06-2013, 20:39   #4

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
One more thought... the trip from Marquette to the Solo Locks is tough in a small boat because of the distances between safe harbors. The stretch between Grand Marais and the Solo Locks is downright dangerous because Little Lake is silted in and Whitefish Point is almost silted in. Whitefish Point had maybe a ten foot wide band of good water at the entrance. If you read the weather wrong then you could be exposed on riskiest stretch of coast on the Great Lakes (the "Graveyard of the Great Lakes").

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: