Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2018, 08:17   #1

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Toronto Boat Show 2018

My wife and I went to this years boat show in Toronto and was again disappointed in the sailboat representation. It seems that every year it is getting less and less sail and more and more power. I came to the conclusion that unless you are interested in buying something specific for your boat the show seems to be the same year after year with nothing new. If you were in the market for a new sailboat I would think that either the Florida or Annapolis show is where you should go. Depending on what you buy there really isn't any discount when you consider the admit and parking fees.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 08:40   #2

Boat: 1984 Hans Christian 33t
Re: Toronto Boat Show 2018

Agreed, disappointing, I live in Toronto but do the majority of sailing in the Caribbean, biggest issue I can see is Great Lakes sailors don’t equip their boats like ocean sailors because they’re back on the dock at sundown. No demand for many add ons
Ruffriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 08:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffriders View Post
Agreed, disappointing, I live in Toronto but do the majority of sailing in the Caribbean, biggest issue I can see is Great Lakes sailors don’t equip their boats like ocean sailors because they’re back on the dock at sundown. No demand for many add ons

True .

We don't do the Toronto show. Its long and great lake boaters who are outfitting there boats to go offshore go to the Annapolis shows . We are always there with our both. You would be surprised how many Canadians are there every year.

We will be there again come spring .

We do go to the show in Toronto , we were there yesterday. We go and say hello to everyone and usually buy stuff for our boat , this year got a Vulcan 9 and a Spinlock vest for the wife .

We are thinking of running Refrigeration seminars next year in at the Toronto show and possibly at the Annapolis show as well.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:46   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The Toronto Boatshow has been a bust since the early nineties as far as sailboats go. That was the end of Canadian builders, CS, Tanzer, Aloha, C&C, Bayfield, Gozzard, Hinterhoeller (Nonsuch, Niagara), Mirage and a few other smaller yards, sadly all gone.
Old 15-01-2018, 09:58   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I used to attend the TO Boat Show quite regularly for a number of years. It was a good excuse to come south for a few days, and the hotel deals were awesome; $65/night at the Weston & Sheraton when I started going.

To my eye the sailboat-specific section has always been a minor part of the show. But maybe it’s even smaller now — I haven’t been for many years. I never really cared about the actual boats anyway. WAY out of my price range, and besides, they all look the same to my eye.

I did find value in the boat-stuff sections (which is common to sail and power), but that was when I was in equipment-purchasing mode. I managed to find some good deals on major items like self-steering gear and my dingy. And some of the “free” talks were good.

ADD: Vasco, I started going in the mid-90s, so I guess I’ve never known it to be anything other than sucky for sail.
Old 15-01-2018, 10:09   #6

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I agree that there are some deals and its always nice to look around however, if you take into account the $18 parking and the $36 entrance fee how much did I really save on buying rubber boots at 15% off......hahahaha
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 10:20   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
True .

We don't do the Toronto show. Its long and great lake boaters who are outfitting there boats to go offshore go to the Annapolis shows . We are always there with our both. You would be surprised how many Canadians are there every year.

We will be there again come spring .

We do go to the show in Toronto , we were there yesterday. We go and say hello to everyone and usually buy stuff for our boat , this year got a Vulcan 9 and a Spinlock vest for the wife .

We are thinking of running Refrigeration seminars next year in at the Toronto show and possibly at the Annapolis show as well.

Regards John.
Annapolis is terrific for looking at boats and increasingly catamarans. Not so good for equipment any more as the retailers like Defender and West are not there and just have 'boat show sales' on line. Annapolis is also terrific if you want to talk to someone from company X who make something that you already have or are thinking about it. Toronto actually has a wide range of retailers selling stuff.
Old 15-01-2018, 10:21   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
I agree that there are some deals and its always nice to look around however, if you take into account the $18 parking and the $36 entrance fee how much did I really save on buying rubber boots at 15% off......hahahaha
Very true mottseng. It’s a bit like driving across the city to save two cents/litre on a gasoline fill … false economy indeed.

But I was lucky. I always managed to make it a “business trip”, which meant someone else was picking up my travel tab . I used the free shuttles from the hotels, so no parking. And I usually scored free entrance passes from friends who were managing displays.

Mainly it was a good excuse to come to the balmy south for a week (I lived in Thunder Bay and Marathon during those times).
Old 15-01-2018, 10:24   #9

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I used to attend the TO Boat Show quite regularly for a number of years. It was a good excuse to come south for a few days, and the hotel deals were awesome; $65/night at the Weston & Sheraton when I started going.

To my eye the sailboat-specific section has always been a minor part of the show. But maybe it’s even smaller now — I haven’t been for many years. I never really cared about the actual boats anyway. WAY out of my price range, and besides, they all look the same to my eye.

I did find value in the boat-stuff sections (which is common to sail and power), but that was when I was in equipment-purchasing mode. I managed to find some good deals on major items like self-steering gear and my dingy. And some of the “free” talks were good.

ADD: Vasco, I started going in the mid-90s, so I guess I’ve never known it to be anything other than sucky for sail.
I got my start in sailing at the Toronto show in 1971 (or 1972). I bought a Mirror dinghy kit that fortunately came with two books - how to built it and how to sail it. The rest, as they say, is history. Don't want to think about how much I have spent on sailboat since then.
Old 15-01-2018, 10:34   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Toronto Boatshow has been a bust since the early nineties as far as sailboats go. That was the end of Canadian builders, CS, Tanzer, Aloha, C&C, Bayfield, Gozzard, Hinterhoeller (Nonsuch, Niagara), Mirage and a few other smaller yards, sadly all gone.
Has Gozzard stopped building boats? I conversed briefly with Mike last year regarding a used boat and the delta between that and new one but it was never mentioned that new was no longer available.
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:20   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I understand the few Canadian builders left will build to order. Not like the good old days. At one time Wiggers had the Nonsuch molds and would build to order.
Old 25-01-2018, 11:15   #12

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'

Interesting that all of us that are disappointed in the sail representation at the show have older boats and probably will not be buying a new boat in the foreseeable future. ( myself included ) Although there was only 8-9 boats, I was intrigued that all of them had twin wheels and full transom access including the Jeanneau 349. Last year I did notice that several of the sailboats had sold signs by the end of the show. This year I went early in the week but did notice the 50 something foot Carver? sold on preview night at something like $ 1.4M........

I went again this year for a couple of the seminars so was very good. Also, cruised around the vendor area. Being in an area where we cruise, ( we anchor out 99% of every weekend and couple week-long trips) we need "stuff" for cruising, although the extent of our "offshore" ventures is the 8-10 hr. crossing of Georgian Bay.

Ended up buying a solar panel and controller from SAW Technologies. Been looking couple years and figured it was time. Also checking out a bigger dinghy for exploring the islands once we're anchored and will probably pull the trigger on that in the next couple years, at the show prices. In the past I usually pick up couple needed items or talked to reps that normally cannot be in touch that led to future purchases.

The show also represents a great physical reprieve from the wait from haul-out to launch.

Cost-wise, I buy tickets on Black Friday for half price so is only $10. I park under the show so can dump coat and boots and often bring a lunch, so is worth the $18.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:30   #13

We always go to the Toronto Boat Show. This year I went twice, mainly to meet up with friends from out of town, so it's a social event as much as anything. One set of friends are just starting their second season, so they had some serious wants, and were making the rounds for quotes on dodger & bimini.

Yeah it's kind of sad that there's less sailboat stuff every year. But that's just a reflection of the industry; there are less sailing businesses every year, and there's way more money to be made in powerboats, both in sales and service, high-end marinas, etc.

Re the 'sold' boats, I suspect that many of the big boats there were sold well before the show, and they got an agreement to show it before delivery in Canada. Or the 'sold' signs are just BS.

We usually attend with a shortlist of stuff we want, that we look for sales on. This year was a Garmin marine map card (~ 25% off), one new fender (we lose one a year it seems). There are also impulse or small purchases (paramedic scissors, a technical longsleeve shirt, etc). In past years I've bought Docksiders and an off-brand coastal jacket, gloves, etc at a discount. And the obligatory $10 docking pole.

You also get to touch base with marinas, clubs etc, and scoop up some info, free maps, and swag. Can't have too many floating keychains, can we?

Normal adult one-day pass was $20 ea. at the gate, and $18 parking. If you get on their mailing list ("Captains Club") you can pre-purchase tickets for $15. Through the Captain's Club a two-day pass was $20. If you are on the mailing list, they have a Black Friday sale where a single-day pass is $10. And it's pretty easy to get a free pass if you know people in the biz. It's easy to take transit or ride your bike there. So you can attend on the cheap if you want to.

At $10 a beer and $15 for just about any lunch... and the lineups... it's hardly a dining destination.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 12:49   #14

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'

Last year I went the first weekend for Nigel Calders seminar on deisels and went into the show on breaks. Didn't notice any sold signs, but went again the last day to look around the show and saw many sold. I may be naive but don't believe they would be false.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
Last year I went the first weekend for Nigel Calders seminar on deisels and went into the show on breaks. Didn't notice any sold signs, but went again the last day to look around the show and saw many sold. I may be naive but don't believe they would be false.
I certainly believe that many of the smaller boats are legitimately sold on the floor at the show; my comment was mainly aimed at the big 6- or 7-figure ones. It's hard to imagine them selling on the floor in an impulse buy . But not impossible I guess.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show