Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2004, 12:18   #16
cruiser

The extreme!

Quote:
GordMay once whispered in the wind:
Current Temperature in Thunder Bay is -25 Deg.F.
Wind Chill is -50 Deg. F.
Life sucks - and blows !!!

3 out 4 of my car doors are frozen “closed” - the power windows won’t close (but the batsrads* will open.
Gord, that takes the cake for some of the most extreme cold conditions I have ever heard someone living aboard in. If I could send you a hot chocolate as an email attachment I would!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 15:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sean:
"Sadly, (we too) are between boats".
Not living aboard right now.
"Civilized" folk don't go North (or South) of Lat. 28.

Happy Holidays all !!!

Gord for Maggie

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 17:19   #18

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Winter in the tropics

It was 90 plus today. The palm trees are decorated for Christmas. Don't mean to rub it in, but we are so happy that we made the decsion to come way south.

Feliz Navidad

PS just sent a private message. Would be happy to chat. We are definately not a charter cat. Didn't you see the daily laundry hanging from lines and the bum on deck....that was me!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 11:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We have been in a cold spell here. I have been pounding the ice from around the boat everyday. The bubbelers have been moved and the ice problem is solved. I hate winter!
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:11   #20

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
If the ice is there it will soon be here in New England. I was thinking of keeping my 25 foot O'day in the water in a marina off Greenwich Bay, thats 12 miles north of New Port, RI. There a a hand full of liveaboards that leave their boats in the water all winter and live on the boat. It's a cheap deal at 20.00 bucks a foot for six months. They say that the salt water may freeze, but it will not harm the hull of my boat. If it really gets cold and the ice gets thick it makes a great cradle.... Does anyone know the minus's of doing this. the livaboards there say it will be fine. anybody got an opinion on way or the other. It will surely save me a ton of money to stay in the water.
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:20   #21

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have kept my boats in the water in Connecticut for the past 19 years with no ill effects. If the water freezes, I would use a bubbler but if the locals don't, I guess it will be OK.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:27   #22

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I have heard that the pressure of the ice can squeeze a hull and cause structural damages. best of luck.
scook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:53   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have heard that the pressure of the ice can squeeze a hull and cause structural damages
Crack it like an egg actually. Don't get yourself froze in. You'll pay in the spring when the ice starts to move. Huge forces!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 19:08   #24

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Holy thread from the dead, people! The last post before avril25's was 2005. Canada isn't that cold- the Great Lakes won't freeze completely until mid-January or so, & they won't even start freezing until mid December. As a matter of fact, we're having absolutley beautiful weather here right now- better than July was (less rain). It was about 27 Celcius today, with temps about 10 Celcius overnight.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:14   #25

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
Hey Ya know....I did't even notice the date of that last post, but I've been looking for a discussion on ice and boats. Has any one ever let their boat stay in the water in the winter. I'm interested in any opinions fresh or salt water. I hear some people use bubblers of some kind, do they work? Has anyone stayed in new england through the winter on he water. What was it like?
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
avril25:
Yes, yes, yes, & cold.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:27   #27

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I havve lived aboard in Stony Point , New York ( on the Hudson River) for the past 14 years. I learned that there are a few things that you have to do to have a decent living environment. First, I had the boat shrink wrapped in the water, with CLEAR shrink wrap, this gives you a tremendous amount of heat gain during the day. Second, I invested in a water circulator (bubbler) and deployed it at the bow of the boat so that the stream of water would "wash" along the hull from bow to stern. I sprung for the thermostically controled circulator, this kept electric usage to a minimum. Third, I used a propane heater for my primary heat. Two 30 pound propane tanks, with a automatic switch over regulator was the fuel source. Each tank would last about 5-7 days, obviously dependant on outside temps. When one ran dry, it could be removed for filling wthout shutting down the heat in the boat. I always had a source of fresh air by opening a port or cracking a hatch, under the shrink wrap. I also had two of the radiator, oil filled type electric heaters turned on very low, as a back up to the propane system. Fourth, I put fans in lockers and anywhere I could access the hull interior. I avoided adding moisture to the environment by using the marina facilities for showers. All in all, I think that I enjoyed a very comfortable existance aboard. I did also enjoy the amenities of telephone, satillite TV and internet connections. I would reccomend the lifestyle to anyone.........as long as you can give up on the idea of living on dirt!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:02   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Made me think of the movie "Bubble Boy", and Trvolta in "The boy in the plastic bubble".

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
I havve lived aboard in Stony Point , New York ( on the Hudson River) for the past 14 years. I learned that there are a few things that you have to do to have a decent living environment. First, I had the boat shrink wrapped in the water, with CLEAR shrink wrap, this gives you a tremendous amount of heat gain during the day. Second, I invested in a water circulator (bubbler) and deployed it at the bow of the boat so that the stream of water would "wash" along the hull from bow to stern. I sprung for the thermostically controled circulator, this kept electric usage to a minimum. Third, I used a propane heater for my primary heat. Two 30 pound propane tanks, with a automatic switch over regulator was the fuel source. Each tank would last about 5-7 days, obviously dependant on outside temps. When one ran dry, it could be removed for filling wthout shutting down the heat in the boat. I always had a source of fresh air by opening a port or cracking a hatch, under the shrink wrap. I also had two of the radiator, oil filled type electric heaters turned on very low, as a back up to the propane system. Fourth, I put fans in lockers and anywhere I could access the hull interior. I avoided adding moisture to the environment by using the marina facilities for showers. All in all, I think that I enjoyed a very comfortable existance aboard. I did also enjoy the amenities of telephone, satillite TV and internet connections. I would reccomend the lifestyle to anyone.........as long as you can give up on the idea of living on dirt!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27   #29
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
It's good to have a winter mooring downstream from a power plant.
In any event, we won't be putting her away for the winter until the second week of November.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:34   #30

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Made me think of the movie "Bubble Boy", and Trvolta in "The boy in the plastic bubble".

Chris
Have you seen some of the power boats on the waterways that are encapusalated in clear plastic. Enjoying the great outdoors from the comfort of their airconditioned/heated bubbles. Interesting
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote