Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 06:14   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Ten degrees down by the bow

You can see the real-time data online at Fisheries and Oceans (Canada). Here’s the graph for Kingston:

Tidal Observations - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels

The current forecast for Lake Ontario has the water level continuing to rise through the end of May, but only by another 10 cm or so. Lets hope so… As long as we don’t get another huge dump of rain we’re apparently near the top of the rise now, at least Lake Ontario.
Old 17-05-2017, 06:30   #62

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
only by another 10 cm or so. .

That "only" is just enough to top the highest docks in our area and will put a number of lakefront communities under water, as opposed to "wet" as they are now.

It is going to be an interesting summer. Some sailboats will get launched- but powerboats will be limited in speed for a long, long time so things may be refreshingly peaceful.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:42   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
That "only" is just enough to top the highest docks in our area and will put a number of lakefront communities under water, as opposed to "wet" as they are now.

It is going to be an interesting summer. Some sailboats will get launched- but powerboats will be limited in speed for a long, long time so things may be refreshingly peaceful.
True, I probably shouldn’t have used “only,” but the rate of increase does seem to be slowing down now. Unless we get a lot more rain there is a peak coming.

We launched a few weeks ago, and in that time the water has risen nearly a 1/2 metre. Our floating docks are all angled in reverse, and the outer concrete wall protecting the first basin is at Lake level. Luckily my boat is in the second basin, which is still protected by about 15 cm of concrete.

This concrete wall/dock is usually about 10 feet above the water.
Old 17-05-2017, 07:47   #64

Sodus Point still dealing with heavy flooding as flood watch goes

"With Mother's Day being a washout for some businesses out in Sodus Point, the hope is for Memorial Day to be better. However the Army Corps of Engineers is predicting lake levels to rise an additional 8-to-10 inches by mid-June"
Old 17-05-2017, 07:57   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Sodus Point still dealing with heavy flooding as flood watch goes

"With Mother's Day being a washout for some businesses out in Sodus Point, the hope is for Memorial Day to be better. However the Army Corps of Engineers is predicting lake levels to rise an additional 8-to-10 inches by mid-June"
The US Corps website I can find currently forecasts Lake Ontario to rise another 4” by mid-June: Detroit District > Missions > Great Lakes Information > Great Lakes Water Levels > Water Level Forecast > Weekly Great Lakes Water Levels.

Of course, this is a Lake-wide average. Seiches and wind can alter the levels significantly. Sodus Bay, being at the eastern side of the Lake, is probably getting it worse than some other areas.
Old 17-05-2017, 13:51   #66

Just got my reservation for 6,7,8 July at Marina Quay West in Toronto. They report the power is off due to high water. Personally don't need shore power but at least the docks are usable. One local weatherman is spewing silliness about how the rain was average and if they had lowered the level in the fall we wouldn't be in this predicament. Not sure if this idiot is aware of how low it was last fall. I know quite a few people that hauled early due to access at the lift slips being ridiculously low. At my Marina anyone over 4 feet of draft was out in mid September.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:55   #67

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I'm surprised that they are reporting the water still rising. It's down significantly from 2 weeks ago. probably a foot or more. My regular lunch spot down by the lake ( Ajax Ontario) had water levels right up to the grass of the park and now there is significant amounts of beach showing, though the water still needs to drop about 3 more feet to get to where it normally is!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The US Corps website I can find currently forecasts Lake Ontario to rise another 4” by mid-June: Detroit District > Missions > Great Lakes Information > Great Lakes Water Levels > Water Level Forecast > Weekly Great Lakes Water Levels.

Of course, this is a Lake-wide average. Seiches and wind can alter the levels significantly. Sodus Bay, being at the eastern side of the Lake, is probably getting it worse than some other areas.

Also keep in mind the corps forecast is simply based off of the average historical lake level change in any given months. It doesn't take into account predicted rainfall, runoff, current inflow/outflow, etc. If it stops raining the lake may not rise at all. If it keeps raining 4 inches more is the least of concerns....
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 16:26   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I'm surprised that they are reporting the water still rising. It's down significantly from 2 weeks ago. probably a foot or more. My regular lunch spot down by the lake ( Ajax Ontario) had water levels right up to the grass of the park and now there is significant amounts of beach showing, though the water still needs to drop about 3 more feet to get to where it normally is!!
I visited our club Monday (LSYC - a bit west of Toronto downtown) and the water was still way up, as far as i can tell by where it hits the shore hardening, and the angle of our ramp to the (thankfully) floating docks.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 16:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I visited our club Monday (LSYC - a bit west of Toronto downtown) and the water was still way up, as far as i can tell by where it hits the shore hardening, and the angle of our ramp to the (thankfully) floating docks.
That seems to be the way of it this year. Floating docks are doing fine but fixed docks are mostly under. Here are a few pics from Sept 2016 to Today at Oak Orchard. Notice the West jetty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept 5.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	147971   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 17.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	147972  

Old 17-05-2017, 17:57   #71

Don't know about Canada but sodus is up four or five inches since last week.
Old 17-05-2017, 18:07   #72

Yup, it’s still going up here in the Bay of Quinte. Seems to be going up slowly now, but still centimetreing up each day. Recording centres across the Lake seem to say this as well.
Old 19-05-2017, 12:38   #73

Colleagues just returned from Sodus Bay. Docks that were above water last week are now 3-4" below. They reported LOTS of junk in the water- gas cans, barrels, wood.

One resident was bowfishing carp in his driveway.

I asked my boat neighbor (he & I always push to be launched in April and haul in November) if he wanted to push the marina to launch and he said no!!
Old 19-05-2017, 15:54   #74

Was at LSYC again today. The ramp angle 'up' to the floating docks looks a bit steeper, so yes, L Ontario levels are still rising.

I just learned today that about 40% of the Toronto Islands are experiencing flooding. All the island boat clubs are closed to visitors, and now the islands themselves are closed to visitors; only the locals have access.

This is a real hit to the businesses on the islands - Centre Island amusement park and zoo, The Rectory (nice restaurant), the Village Cafe.

Google "toronto island flooding" for various news stories, images and videos.

Here are lists of affected clubs on Lake Ontario:
https://ontariosailing.ca/news/high-water-levels-2/
High Water Levels | LOCCA
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 16:02   #75

As I understand it, the Scotch Bonnet Light Race has been cancelled. The official explanation is due to debris in the lake but I suspect it is due to a lack of participants being able to launch. Several docks are unusable and some have floated away. The marina I store at won't launch anymore boats as the Travelift ways are under water. They are also not pumping gas as the pumps are partially submerged. Yesterday was bouncy out there with NE winds around 30 but loads of fun just the same. Collided with a 1" X 6" X 12' on the way in today. Engine neutral real quick and had to remove from under the boat with a boathook. No damage fortunately. A lot of debris out to about 2 miles. Keep a sharp lookout especially when entering harbors.