Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 04:57   #1

Strange Phenomenon

I experienced an interesting phenomenon last evening while sailing on Lake Ontario. Here are the details. Wind 18 gusting to 23 from NE. Wave 3 -4 with occasional 4-6. Left Oak Orchard at 5PM with 88F over land and about the same until .1 miles north of harbor. At this point the temperature dropped like a rock into the low sixties upper 50s. This continued for about .5 miles and then the temps rose quite quickly into the 70s. Temps are approximate but reasonably close. Anyone have an explanation for this peculiar phenomenon or similar experience? I have never experienced this dramatic change from hot, cold, warm.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Strange Phenomenon

This might be explained by "New Age" (Meghalayan) geology.

The latest version of the geologic time scale* was released on July 13/2018, by the International Union of Geological Sciences. The update to the geologic time scale adds three new ages, subdividing the current Holocene into the:
- Greenlandian (Early Holocene) Age, which began when a sudden warming 11,700 years ago ended the last ice age — and the Pleistocene Epoch.
- Northgrippian (Middle Holocene) Age, which started 8,300 years ago.
- Meghalayan (Late Holocene) Age, which runs from the start of a "mega-drought" 4,200 years ago to the present day.

* ➥ http://stratigraphy.org/ICSchart/Chr...art2018-07.pdf

Collapse of civilizations worldwide defines youngest unit of the Geologic Time Scale

Or not.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:33   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Cold water upwelling? What are the bottom contures like there? Didnt get any water temp readings did you?

Here in geologically very active Central America thermal springs are common. Some are in bodies of water and you can feel the heat/humidity change...and smell the sulfur...when passing over them. Opposite of your experience, but could be a similar cuase.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:30   #4

GordMay, What in the hell are you doing? Now you got me curious and I have to read all that.
I think you are correct Belizesailor. I attached a snippet of the area. I looked at the chart after I posed the question and indeed the slope of the bottom rises dramatically in the area. Coupled with the NE wind it does seem the deeper water could be driven upslope bringing colder water to the surface while the deeper water would remain in a warmer surface state. This was extremely dramatic even still. Guess that's why I like sailing so much. Always something new to experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-25-17.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	174074  
Old 22-07-2018, 07:05   #5

Another possible explanation: UFO Base Under Lake Ontario
In December 2013, MUFON published a report from a Hamilton resident who claimed to have seen several strange, glowing orbs hanging over Lake Ontario. He also claimed to have seen these orbs on the lake several times prior, and what’s more, he believes that there is an alien base under the water. He is far from the first person to have made such an assertion.In August 1981, five witnesses who were driving alongside Lake Ontario early one evening saw a dome-shaped craft flying over the water. They followed the craft for some time before seeing it begin to descend and enter the water, disappearing from their sight. Perhaps the stories of an underwater alien base, stem from the 1977 book The Great Lakes Triangle by Jay Gourley, who made note that many planes and people had disappeared over Lake Ontario, not to mention the many UFO sightings of the area.Another book, Underground Alien Bases, released in 2012 and written by the somewhat strange “Commander X,” has also perpetuated the legend of the alien base under the lake. It features within its pages several accounts of sightings on and around the lake and the assertion that an alien fortress of one kind or another lies under the water. However, none of the accounts can be verified by a secondary source and so are left open to debate as to how reliable they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iStock_87379475_SMALL.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	174075  
Old 22-07-2018, 07:26   #6

Down draft wind sheer. Cold air from high up comes straight down.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes, just a downdraft, usually associated with thunderstorms, but not always
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:59   #8

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Either explanation possible.

Most of the shoreline had a south breeze which typically drives out the warm water causing inversion

As you know a large front moved through yesterday and last night. We left fair haven at 10:30pm and arrived sodus 1:00am to beat the storm. It was glass the whole way. Three hours later it hit. Now clocking gusts over 50 knots reported wave height 8’.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:49   #9

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

What did the wind do? I’d vote for a microburst.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:26   #10

I suppose wind shear could be possible. I was surprised that it lasted for 3 hours. I crossed the area 3 separate times as I was staying in short time to the harbor as some crap weather was in the offing. Tetepare was in the area the worst came through about 60 miles east of me. The microburst is less likely as the sky was for the most part was free of any clouds with vertical development. Been hit by those on more than a few occasions. Not fun at all. The wind also remained constant through the area. Definitely some interesting thoughts on this matter.
Old 22-07-2018, 14:36   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
and so are left open to debate as to how reliable they are.
Oh, surely not! It sounds like totally ok, doesn't it?

The aliens had their air con running, and it leaked...

Jim
Old 22-07-2018, 15:51   #12

Good one Jim. I may never sail again if it is the result of aliens. I can't abide being probed. I do hope one of the other folks has the right answer. I do like sailing. This band of cold air was really odd. Maybe a poltergeist or something.
Old 22-07-2018, 16:01   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Gord's last sentence in post #2 is probably accurate.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 17:45   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

If there is a mountain or hill nearby this may be a downdraft from there too. This happens in late afternoons esp. on clear sunny days with not too much wind.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 18:11   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Cold air mass associated with front?

Ive experienced radical temp drops along frontal boundaries before...not uncommon in N Texas...where temps can swing +/-30F or more in under 24 hours!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men