Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Oak Orchard, NY

Had a chance to stop at Oak Orchard via land vehicle, and was surprised.

The harbor area is larger than I thought with more to do than expected. I was really shocked at the percentage of 35+ foot boats.

Driving through the marina there were two power boats with jackstands collapsed and a space with busted jackstands where a boat had been dragged out. Oops. Always put wood or something supportive between mud and jackstand.

As I was looking out over the channel I was wondering if it shoaled like many other like-size openings (e.g., Irondequoit Bay). The USCG 47' out of Rochester answered that question when they grounded mid-channel.

In all, I was pleasantly surprised. I never entertained entering Oak Orchard, but clearly I can, and it's a nice midway between Niagara and Rochester.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 14:05   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Oak Orchard, NY

Use the west side of the breakwater . The east side shoals up. Check the bridge height going up the river to the yacht club.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-04-2017, 08:10   #3

I will let you know on the east entrance in about a week. Last year had no problems at 4' draft. They had dredged the previous year. The Orleans County Marine Park has transient docks available and is not a bad little place to stop over. Wish I knew you were coming. The harbor is quite deep but avoid the extreme west side after the jetty and with the water 13" higher this year the bridge is hindering traffic to the Oak Orchard Yacht Club which is south of it. Getting out going west is good unless the waves are kicking and then it is a pounding. The Black North Inn has good food and generous portions for reasonably low prices.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:48   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The USCG 47' grounded just west of mid channel, about 50' south of the shoreline. I would have expected that to be good water, particularly this time of year. Specs on this boat show draft of 1.37m/ 4.6'.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:21   #5

If they were in the channel across from the public launch on the east side then they deserved it. That whole west side is a mud flat maybe a few feet deep. That's why the docks over there extend out some 100 feet. I am fairly confidant you are describing the area I am thinking of. It is far safer to keep to about mid channel when headed south. Everyone headed north will be hugging the east side. That stupid breakwall is a huge problem as it stops the free flow of silt into the lake. Not to mention it makes for a pain sailing in or out along with the silting along the east/west approaches. I usually come in from the north about 30 feet off either end and then make the turn as that is the actual channel. Make it count the first time since recovery is dicey due to the narrow dredging of the channel.
Old 22-04-2017, 10:39   #6

Just got back form careening about Lake Ontario. Chilly but glorious day for a sail. The east side is over 4' since I didn't scrape flying out of there this morning.