Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 18:27   #1

Boat: Stevens 47
North Channel this Summer

The 6 o'clock news tonight showed some images of the Great Lakes taken yesterday...

The only lakes clear of ice were Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie. The north channel is still frozen over.....those of you with icemakers on board may not need them this year.

We plan on leaving the last week of June...weather permitting. We should have lots of water this year up there.

C'mon end of June!
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 17:24   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: North Channel this summer

Might be up that way ourselves in July. Plan to start in Grand Traverse Bay early July and head up to Mackinaw. If time permits then over to the North Channel.
No Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 14:57   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37
Re: North Channel this Summer

Several TRYC boats are planning on heading up the first week of July. Watch for our burgee's Gunk and say howdy.

I fly the Canadian Blue Ensign from the back stay, so I'm easy to spot.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 15:01   #4

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Would love to get up to the channel this year. Sadly - it's not meant to be. Sounds like ice for the rum & coke will be had just by leaning over the gunnel with the ice pick and hacking off a piece.
crazyoldboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 16:08   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Gunk, we'll be passing through the North Channel on our way to L. Ontario this summer, although I don't think we'll be there before mid July at the earliest. Plan to revisit a few old haunts as we meander our way south. Maybe we'll see you down there.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 26-04-2014, 17:35   #6

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I'm thinking of doing the Hook Race (Racine to Menominee) then heading up to the North Channel. Haven't been up there in about 25 years.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmoments View Post
Several TRYC boats are planning on heading up the first week of July. Watch for our burgee's Gunk and say howdy.

I fly the Canadian Blue Ensign from the back stay, so I'm easy to spot.
We'll keep an eye and ear out for you! Always nice to meet "locals"

Looks like 4 of us eventually meeting up there somewhere...a Gozzard 31, Pearson 30, a steel gaff rigged cruiser and our Bayfield....

Can't wait to taste fresh blueberries and wet a line.

gunk
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Gunk, we'll be passing through the North Channel on our way to L. Ontario this summer, although I don't think we'll be there before mid July at the earliest. Plan to revisit a few old haunts as we meander our way south. Maybe we'll see you down there.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Hopefully we can meet up Mike, that would be great! Weather permitting, we are hoping to stay until mid-September or so. Hoping to be in Blind River for the second weekend in July...community days....that way I can do all my visiting in 4 hours standing at the entrance to the beer tent!

gunk
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hopefully we can meet up Mike, that would be great! Weather permitting, we are hoping to stay until mid-September or so. Hoping to be in Blind River for the second weekend in July...community days....that way I can do all my visiting in 4 hours standing at the entrance to the beer tent!

gunk
It might happen. We used to sail out of the North Channel Yacht Club just a bit east of Blind River. We'll definitely be in the area in July at some point. Would be great to meet up.

What's the water depths in Blind River these days? I went in with our 5-foot draft boat many years ago to have some work done, and we almost became a permanent fixture. Had to drag us out with the marina skiff b/c of the low water levels. Our new(old) boat now draws 6 feet.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38   #10

Hey Mike:

I went to the Blind River marina website....no info on the water levels. They should certainly be up this year.

Darrel MacLean was/is the marina manager last we were there 3 years ago....lucky for us water levels aren't too much of an issue with a 3'2" draft.

We'll keep an eye and ears out for you...e-mail us when you get close, we'll see where we're at.

So you sailed out of Spragge.....did you work in the area?

gunk
Old 28-05-2014, 06:33   #11

Boat: Hunter 27

I want to head up there this year but don't know where to go or when. My boats draft is 3.5 so I am going to cheat and trailer it up. Any ideas about places and times?

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 07:07   #12

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

A little farther east of Blind River is Spanish, Ontario. They have a very nice marina and a great launch ramp and a gin pole if you need one. There is plenty of water there - we were there several years ago when the water was lower and we draw 4'. There is a town nearby for provisioning - a long walk but the grocery store will pick you up and drop you off. Nearer to the Benjamins than Blind River.
Old 28-05-2014, 07:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
A little farther east of Blind River is Spanish, Ontario. They have a very nice marina and a great launch ramp and a gin pole if you need one. There is plenty of water there - we were there several years ago when the water was lower and we draw 4'. There is a town nearby for provisioning - a long walk but the grocery store will pick you up and drop you off. Nearer to the Benjamins than Blind River.

This is a good website to view for all the marinas:

The North Channel Map

Spanish hosts a rock concert every summer, not sure about the details, but always have some pretty good names entertaining there. You can get the details at that site...

There is a local watering hole in Blind River called the "Riverside" and every Tuesday night they host a local "jam session"....an ever evolving group of artists get together for a "picking and a grinning" session around 7 p.m., and beer is cheap(by Canadian standards).

Meldrum Bay has a great restaurant on the point, it's at the western end of Manitoulin Island.....the restaurant is only open in the summer, and has awesome food. The marina there is almost brand new and very well protected.

Little Current has awesome fish and chips right on the bank downtown, and pretty close provisioning.

So...lots to do, lots to see, great fishing, great blueberry picking, AWESOME sailing.....gunkholes galore......hope to see you up there!

gunk
Old 28-05-2014, 07:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
I want to head up there this year but don't know where to go or when. My boats draft is 3.5 so I am going to cheat and trailer it up. Any ideas about places and times?
That really depends on what you're looking for. Solitude and remote anchorages? Go early. By mid-July through to mid-August most popular anchorages will be busy (although "busy" is a relative concept). If you want to check out some of the quaint towns and take part in summer events, then July/August is best.

Spanish is a good launch place. Another option could be Gore Bay on Manitoulin Island. North Channel Yacht Club east of Blind River has a boat ramp as well. I'm not sure about either of their depths though. Check them out first.
Old 28-05-2014, 08:42   #15

Boat: Hunter 27

It is all good to me. A little of both. It is fun getting away but small towns and people are fun also. I would like to see the rocks and some small towns. I am heading up with the kids so anything fun for them.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote