Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-09-2012, 17:23   #31

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: My Sailing Season is Over...

Thanks Skiprjohn....it's gonna be a bit of a hike, but I'm confident I'll get back to 100 per cent. Not going to let a gimpy leg slow me down, I want to be able to live our dream and sail off into the sunset in six years when I retire....so, goal #1 is to get the leg healed, then it's a bigger boat!

gunk

Old 18-10-2012, 00:38   #32

For those of you following my story....re-visited the ortho surgeon, my leg is healing as scheduled, and I have now started putting weight on it. Still on crutches, and still using the plastic cast....or "Frank" as I call it....if I had another I could go out at Halloween as Frankenstein.

So, different therapy exercises, and starting to put weight on the leg and wean off of the crutches and the walking boot. Good news for sure.

The physio therapist says we're looking at another six weeks to three months before I get back to work....so the goal has been set. The exercises concentrate now on foot mobility/flexibility, and some calf work. My calf muscle is pretty much non existent now, muscle atrophy sucks!

I am going to have a bone density scan done on Friday, make sure the bones are ok, trying to cover all the bases.

So, I should be all set for sailing season next year, and hopefully I can make up for a season cut short this year.

Thanks to all those for those supportive comments and e-mails of good wishes.

gunk

Old 18-10-2012, 01:09   #33

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant
Can't believe you didn't opt for the wooden pegleg!

Get well soon.
Hey I resemble that remark! Lol
Old 18-10-2012, 01:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump
For those of you following my story....re-visited the ortho surgeon, my leg is healing as scheduled, and I have now started putting weight on it. Still on crutches, and still using the plastic cast....or "Frank" as I call it....if I had another I could go out at Halloween as Frankenstein.

So, different therapy exercises, and starting to put weight on the leg and wean off of the crutches and the walking boot. Good news for sure.

The physio therapist says we're looking at another six weeks to three months before I get back to work....so the goal has been set. The exercises concentrate now on foot mobility/flexibility, and some calf work. My calf muscle is pretty much non existent now, muscle atrophy sucks!

I am going to have a bone density scan done on Friday, make sure the bones are ok, trying to cover all the bases.

So, I should be all set for sailing season next year, and hopefully I can make up for a season cut short this year.

Thanks to all those for those supportive comments and e-mails of good wishes.

gunk
Glad you are doing well..watch out for ice this winter. No more falling!
Old 27-10-2012, 06:41   #35

Thanks Gary, slipping in/on snow is way down on my list of "things to do".

So, latest update, my exercises at physio have changed quite dramatically, definitely on the upswing.

A typical physio session lasts about 1.5 hours now. First, into the nice, warm whirlpool with the leg, to "loosen" things up. Then, onto the exercise bed for flexion excercises, working the foot in all directions, then using a seat belt like strap to pull the foot to either side. Then, I use a board with a ball mounted in the center on the underside to once again work the side to side and back and forth motion of the foot. Once these are completed, it's off to the exercise bike for a 5 minute spin, then over to the leg press for 70 lb. reps....lol, 70 lbs., I used to do 2000 lbs when I was bodybuilding....and right now 70 lbs. is all I can do. Then, it's over to a treadmill, where I am re-introducing the left foot to the "walking motion". I place my foot onto the "top" area of the treadmill, and let it go as far back with as much weight on it as comfortable....to simulate walking. I support myself with my right leg and both arms. So far, I can handle about 3.5 minutes of this, and then it just plain old gets to be too much. Then, off to the ice pack and TENS machine therapy.

A couple of hours later, the pain is VERY much there....but, no pain, no gain as they say.

I had been "hopping" around so to speak, but the therapist insists that this is not good...I have to retrain my left leg/foot to walk, and hopping around is not doing that. I have to constantly remind myself to put the heel down first, and "walk it through", I never in my life will take walking for granted. Thank goodness this isn't a computer course, I'd be in trouble<grin>.

So, that's my boring little update for now.....

gunk
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56   #36

Boat: Beneteau 36

Gunk : When I read you saying this..."I want to be able to live our dream and sail off into the sunset in six years when I retire"...

Perhaps we should talk, as our goal is to head south on that same schedule !!

Cheers, Paul.
SV Winpipe B361
Lakeview Park Marina,
Windsor Ont.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	49172  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40   #37

Hi Paul:

Pretty boat!

We should get together for sure.....

I'll pm you with my phone #....

gunk
Old 06-01-2013, 21:48   #38

Found some pics of my fracture/dislocation on Beth's cell phone, taken about 3.5 hours after the accident....not for the faint of heart.

If you zoom in, you can see that the leg bones just about broke through, but didn't. Thank goodness, compound fractures are real nasty. The orientation of the foot is way off to the outside....zooming in shows the "top" of the leg and where the ankle/foot ended up after the break.

Back to the surgeon on Tuesday, still having difficulty going down flights of stairs, but much better than a month ago....just might be time to go back to work....we'll find out Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	from phone 042.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	52319   Click image for larger version

Name:	from phone 041.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	52320  

Old 06-01-2013, 23:00   #39

Ouch! Get well soon!
Old 10-01-2013, 18:08   #40

Final update? Bet you hope so!

Met with the surgeon on Tuesday, he reports that all is well bone wise, the leg bones healed nicely with the help of the titanium plate and six pins/screws that are now mine forever....finally, a bionic man in the family

Still issues with scar tissue from the foot dislocation, but new exercises to get rid of that, and some more exercises to further strengthen the foot, and I should be good to return to work Feb.4th. Yahoo! It's been a haul since Sept.2.

Working on the therapy and exercises diligently, going upstairs is not bad, but still issues going down stairs....hence the new exercises. I am really close to being good to go.

Went in to work yesterday, and either everyone has taken acting lessons while I was gone, or they were actually happy to see me up and about. My boss says that he'll leave me on steady days for awhile to let the leg adapt to the new regime...ie no tv/couchand to catch up with the new changes that have come about. Great guy...he's retiring this year after 45 years at the salt mine....he'll be missed when he does go.

So, that's about it, back to work soon, back to a normal life so to speak, and the extra income will be nice as well.

Thanks to all for the best wishes, each and every one helped I'm sure.

C'mon summer!

gunk
Old 06-08-2013, 18:45   #41

Aaaaargh! A small update....info mail perhaps. Returned to work for 4.5 months...leg was doing well, but pain becoming more intense the longer I was at work. I'm a production supervisor in a salt mine, a lot of walking, ramps, uneven ground, stairs......so on the move all the time. Pain became more intense, to the point I went off work again...back to the ortho surgeon.

Further surgery scheduled September 6th....scope out ankle joint for bone chips, repair nerve damage and poor circulation at ankle, and remove some of the titanium hardware.....not looking forward to the surgery, but definitely looking forward to painless walking.

I will get past this wee setback....we'll get Kewalo sold, and we'll get our larger boat....36 to 44 foot sailboat.....Beth wants a Gozzard 36.....and we'll sail off into the sunset. We have made a two year plan, sell the house next year, get into a no lease set up or sign a lease to expire spring of 2015..and begin our journey. Storage for our "have to keep stuff", unload the rest. The lease on the car is done June 2015. Up to the North Channel of Lake Huron for awhile, then head south....Caribbean bound for at least two years...who knows, maybe longer.

So, that's the "quick" update......and here's to carrying on, as if we're normal!

gunk
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Here’s hoping that the surgery eliminates/ameliorates all the averse symptoms!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Here’s hoping that the surgery eliminates/ameliorates all the averse symptoms!
Absolutely, and that recovery is speedy, as well. It's wonderful when pain becomes a thing of the past!

Ann

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: