Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 17:37   #1

Boat: Cruisers 3650 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Will I Am
Moving A Boat and Moving Into It.

My wife and I are purchasing a 1997 Cruiser 3650 and have to have it moved from Norfolk Va to Toronto Canada...we have seen, been on and love the boat. My questions are this;

1. What are the low and high end costs of moving a boat from NF to TO?

2. As we are newbies to the liveaboard world, we aren't 100% sure of our living costs above and beyond slip fees....what should we expect to pay for other costs i.e. food, maintenance etc?

3. Beyond basic slip fees and living expenses, what is a good amount of money to put away monthly for those things that sometimes pop up unexpectedly?

4. How are we best to prepare ourselves as winter liveaboards in Toronto?

thanks for any feedback...if you are in the toronto your input would be invaluable!

Thanks!!
Will I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:27   #2

Boat: C&C 39
Re: Moving a boat and moving into it.

Hi,

Congratulations on your purchase!

Not sure if you want to sail or truck her to Toronto. We recently trucked our 39' CnC from Maryland to Toronto - it was 2700USD. It was done well and would recommend the mover (Lockview Marina). I had other offers below that price but went with Lockview as I felt they were quite competent. You will need to have all documents ready and either meet the driver at the border or hire a broker. I chose the former and it went very smoothly. You will need to pay 13% HST at the border and if your boat is not made in North America, possibly some duty (about 10% I think).

Not sure about living aboard in Toronto through the winter, but marinas are quite expensive here. It costs me about $7k/year, that includes haul-out in the fall and lauch in the spring, hydro (=electricity for those of you from outside of Ontario - etc. I don't know how you could live aboard in Toronto in the winter - you would most likely need to haul out due to freezing.
epistosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57   #3

Thanks Epi...we really appreciate the input....are you a liveaboard? What type of boat do you have now?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:16   #4

Hey epi...what was the beam on your boat? Ours is 13' 8"....apparently the width can affect the cost of Transportion.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50   #5

Boat: C&C 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am View Post
....are you a liveaboard?
Oh, no. I live in Toronto, but not aboard. We have C&C 39, 11' beam. I think the height of the boat (from bottom of the keel to top of railing, unless you take them off) is a bigger concern, but at some point beam will be a problem too. But the usual 'trailarable' limit of 10' or so is not the problem here.

You just need to call around and give them the specs (height, displacement, LOA and beam) to find out. Good luck.
epistosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 17:00   #6

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Re: Moving A Boat and Moving Into It.

There are many boats at PCYC ( Port Credit ) that liveaboard all winter. You just need a bubbler underneath the boat to keep the ice clear. Not sure how many of the other marinas will allow it. Call them for rates etc.

Food should be close to the same as at home, although you may eat out a bit more, there's a couple of great restaurants close by. How are you heating the boat, don't forget that cost.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:31   #7

Re: Moving A Boat and Moving Into It.

Thanks Scott, your input is appreciated. We lookied into the PCYC livaboard community ( I have two good friends with boats at PCYC, they're not LAb's) there is also a liveaboard community at Port credit Marina...almost 40 Liveaboard year round....rates, for the boat we've picked are averaging out to about $93 per foot length for the Summer...and about the same and up to $1600 for umetered hydro for the winter. Looks lie we'll spend the Summer in the Outer Harbout Marina and consider our winter options ahead of the seasons end. We need to Dock coaching for our new home also...any ideas where we can find someone to help us out with that?