Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 07:51   #16

Re: Montreal Approach Experience -current?

As a previous member mentioned if you are capable of holding 5 knots you will be fine. You will have a couple of locks to navigate however If you would like to stop in Valleyfield Quebec just before the Beauharnois lock you can forego the higher currents and locks. Valleyfield has a lovely infrastructure restaurants docking ,bike paths, tennis, concerts etc....you will be a 40 mins drive to downtown Montreal. I have a mooring that I can offer free for short visits as well. Just write I'll help out where I can ....
I often sail from Montreal to Toronto always quicker heading East eh ! " lol "

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I'm planning of going down the St Lawrence this summer and would like to stop at Montreal.

We have a heavy 33' cutter with an older 13HP Volvo. Reading about the current leading up to the old city that is starting to sound a dubious proposition.

I would like some local knowledge on how strong this current is and stratifies for getting in with a low power boat.

I would also appreciate alternative anchorages or marinas that have tranlortation to Montreal.

FYI, we are not broke but modest in our means.

Thanks.
Mthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 20:51   #17

Re: Montreal Approach Experience -current?

If you want to come up the ottawa river, you are more than welcome, you can easily get from montreal to ottawa with a 6 ft draft. A few places to visit on the way ... chateau montebello, the world biggest log cabin, they have a nice marina, and a five star resort, or a mile downstream the municipal marina is cheaper. But make sure you take a walk to the chateau for the brunch or a diner. About 25NM upstream is the heritage site of the rideau canal locks, the Parliament seen from the river is worth it. I can have all the bridge heights if you want but if i remember they are 100+ft . On the quebec side you also have the national history museum, on the ottawa side right there, the national art gallery. The ottawa market is walking distance and plenty of good food. I would suggest it is something to see at least once. There is a few marinas that offer overnight. Rockliffe yatch club, marina leblanc.

Let me know if you go that route, i will buy the beer if you are up the ottawa.

Landlubber
Tobie.lepine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, enc