Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2011, 06:59   #16

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Looking for a Home Port

Catawba Island and Port Clinton are both nice areas for sailboaters.

Lots of sailing regattas and races in the area.

I berth at Brand's Marina and more than half the boats there are sailboats. It's a very nice, very friendly, homey atmosphere, but not many family functions or facilities.

The western portion of Lake Erie has been getting a little "milky" with algae in the July-August period the past two years, but the water begins to clear around Kelly's island.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 07:53   #17

Thanks SURV! That one looks really good. Don't need a lot of facilities; pool etc. just a decent dock and a good location. That one seems like it has it.

Thanks again.
Danau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 08:42   #18

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I should add the marina has just been dredged to a minimum of 8' with 10+ feet pretty much everywhere.

It's a 5 minute(maybe less) walk to downtown Port Clinton and all the Brands are sailors so the flavor of the marina tends to be slightly skewed to sailing.

It would also be a worthwhile place to see if there are some worthwhile sailboats might strike your fancy.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 17:35   #19

Sounds great! Thanks again.
Danau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 18:24   #20

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23
Re: Also Looking for a Home Port

[QUOTE=hard-a-ground;813144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danau View Post
Hi All!

Hi, welcome. My search status is as follows... I've decided the drive time is an important attribute - don't want excuses to stay home. Lake Erie seems to be more shallow in the West - getting gradually deeper as you move East.

I am currently thinking the Sandusky area is a potential place for me. West Harbor in particular. I plan to take a trip up there next year to scout the area - check out the marinas first hand. It looks like you can come out from West harbor and have some expectation of shelter from the westerly wind courtesy of Catawba Island.
I went through the same drill when I bought my boat 7 years ago. I lived in Dayton. What I found was access and travel time was key to getting on the boat. The first 5 years I had the boat I averaged about 87 days a year on the boat. (Low 71 High 101) spent more time aboard as each year went by.

My solution was not the Lakes (where I learned to sail) but Annapolis MD. Why? 59 min flight to BWI from Dayton (at the time $59-$79 each way). I had a hard time driving 3 hrs each way for less in gas money.

I could leave work at 4pm and be on the boat with a cold one in my hand by 8pm. Flight back was Red eye but was back to work Monday morning loving life. Went to the boat two weekends a month ever month but Jan and Feb ( one each). I took a job in DC last year so now I liveaboard. Not sure but I think I sailed more when I did not liveaboard, but it is still close.

Mark
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:08   #21

Boat: 1989 Pacific Seacraft 31

Danau,

I've just joined the forum and, if it's not too late, wanted to ensure you knew about Toledo Beach in LaSalle, MI. It's about 8 or 9 miles north of the state border. I seriously considered moving my boat there last summer, but decided to stay on Lake Huron more out of inertia than anything else. It seemed to me to be a nice marina with everything needed to be a comfortable home away from home. The people I spoke with who have boats there all thought very highly of the place and your draft is definitely not a problem.

As for the waves on Lake Erie, I understand they are very similar to Saginaw Bay where I sail a lot. The waves can take on an uncomfortable square shape when the wind is driving the water into the shallows. On the other hand, being on the west end of the lake, with (supposedly) primarily west winds, you can get the benefit of minimum fetch and therefore minimum waves. However, when the winds are wrong and the waves are "square", it's more an exercise in hanging on rather than sailing.

Jim
JD.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 09:58   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

West Harbor is a great location. The main channel has plenty of depth (albeit a few shoal spots) and the proximity to the Islands, Port Clinton, Cedar Point/Sandusky makes good weekend cruising.

There are several marinas that you can keep a sailboat. The 3 most prominent ones are NE Port, Herls Harbor and Catawba Moorings and they are all right next to each other. We have been at Catawba Moorings for 12 years and have loved it. Of all of the marinas in West Harbor they have the best showers/restrooms. They are a full service marina. There is also a really nice pool and club house there, and lots of social activities. If you have a draft over 4 feet there are not many other options in West Harbor. These 3 marinas are on the Catawba Island side of the harbor and there is good access to West Marine, restaraunts and bars; and a short drive into Port Clinton.

Port Clinton has some options along the Portage River. Port Clinton is further from the Islands and Sandusky, but has a downtown area with restaraunts and bars that is not far from most of the marinas. The Port Clinton Yacht Club is an option and so is Brands Marina. Brands is a full service marina and has a chandlery that caters to sailboats. Only bad thing about Brands is that you have to go through a draw bridge to get out to the lake.

Sandusky is also another good option. If the lake is too crazy (and it can be!) you can still go out into Sandusky Bay. Check out Battery Park Marina, Sandusky Sailing Club or Sandusky Yacht Club. One thing about Sandusky is the traffic on the roads. With Cedar Point there is a lot of people and traffic.

We have evaluated all these alternatives and have stayed with West Harbor and the Catawba Moorings. Easy to get to Put in Bay, Kelleys Island, Middle Bass Island, Port Clinton and Sandusky for weekend cruising; there are decent places to eat, drink and provision; and you don't have to deal with the traffic in Sandusky!

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you want additional information.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 08:40   #23

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Suggest you contact Bruce at Harbor North in Huron, Ohio. Tell him I sent you.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 13:02   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

Spoke with Harbor North out of Huron Ohio. Looks like they have a pretty good situation, great depth, easy access to the deeper portion of the Lake. Interesting destinations. I am intrigued with the flying approach - my son is moving to Delaware...
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 13:19   #25

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft
Re: Also Looking for a Home Port

"59 min flight to BWI from Dayton (at the time $59-$79 each way)"....

Looks like Airtran does a similar flight now, $225 round trip - probably make it 3 day weekends each time... extends the season also...

When I add Maureen it would get out of hand financially though.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:03   #26

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23

Hard-a-Ground - "When I add Maureen it would get out of hand financially though. "

I know when I take my wife we tend to also take an other couple and make a 4day out of it. With 4 drivers the 8hr drive each way is not so bad and much better for the "Adult Berverage Fund" vice the "Airfare Fund"
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:29   #27

I am at Toledo Beach Marina now. My buddy and I are there for the winter. Its cheap, the marina folks are friendly, and there is a yacht club, non-pretentious across the harbor. He sails Lake Huron for the summer but hauls at TBM for the price and better climate. I had a case of cruisus interruptus due to hurricane closing erie canal. Marina has been great. They receive my packages, dispense advice and recommendations, allow stays while boat is on hard, and includes time in water after put-in in winter rate. I am off come May but will miss TBM. Downside is stores and restaurants are 10 minutes away.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 20:38   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I sailed out of Lakeside in Cleveland for 18 years. We raced all over Lake Erie. I think I noted your boat is of fair size. For this, I would try to locate Sandusky or farther East. The west basin is shallow and will restrict your fun. THe Sandusky Islands are a great venue and there is also Cedar Point if you are inclined. If you fish, walley are caught around the Sandusky Islands. Put-In Bay on S. Bass Island is a fun cruise destination. We liked cruising some of the Canadian destinations, Erio in particular is quaint. Loraine is well protected and the wall & channel there is approachable even in bad weather.

Lakeside YC in Cleveland is tucked in behind the Burke Lakefront Airport and is probably the most sheltered marina I know. If weather is horrible you can still venture out to the east light and run inside the wall seven miles west to the Cuyahoga River in totally flat water. This is great for guests that turn green. If you will be leaving your boat unattended and out of reach, this is place is good for peace of mind.

There are several other basins as you head a bit east but most are less sheltered. CYC (Cleveland Yacht Club) is west on Rocky River and is the high rent district.

I am sure Erie Pa. is too far for you but a nice harbor and park. There is a nice harbor at Mentor.

Some of the basins do not have lift out facilities and you have to transport to the big town for winter. There is probably still take-out and storage near Lakeside and inside the protective seawall.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 23:31   #29

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Lots of nice ports and marinas on Lake Michigan. Have been to most of them when delivering boats up and down the lake, but believe me, you don't want to be driving US 31 from Indy up to the Michigan border on a regular basis! The time is better spent on the boat than in the car. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 03:29   #30

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig

Check out Sandusky Harbor Marina, it is a little hard to find ( driving) but has great facilities ( pool, club house, ice available, 24 hour security, service and parts dept, etc). We were in your same position a few years back and a friend suggested this place. Sandusky bay is right out front of the marina and many days we could sail out Catalina 30 when those directly on Lake Erie could not due to waves. Cedar Point is within view and the islands are easy to get to. Lots of good eats near by and Tofts dairy( possibly the best ice cream in the world if you don't include Greaters,) is walking distance away. Rates are very reasonable. And the onsite yacht club is filled with great people. Hope this helps. BTW the 3.5 hr drive is great decompression time when you know what's waiting when you get to Sandusky.
boatless 4 now is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports