Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 12:34   #1

Boat: Etap 38i (38')
Leaving the Great Lakes...

Just some thoughts on trying to put together a schedule.

Currently on the western end of Lake Erie. I'd like to take the boat (38' sailboat, 5' draft, 5 knots) south for the winter. I can come up with around 14 travel days per calendar month.

My proposed route would take me from Detroit to Cleveland (2 days) to Buffalo (3 days), across the Erie Canal to Albany. Then south to Sandy Hook NJ. Three one day hops outside from Sandy Hook to Manasquan (6 hours) to Atlantic City (9 hours) and Cape May (5 hours). Turn North to Salem, west across the canal into the Cheseapeake, and back south to Norfolk.

Then, plan on leaving Norfolk around mid to late October and take the ICW inside south past Hatteras.

I'm roughly figuring four weeks of travel time for the first half of this trip, and leaving around August 15th.

Does this sound like a reasonable timeframe to get east and south to Norfolk before conditions on the Great Lakes, New York Harbor, and the New Jersey coast deteriorate?

Leave earlier? Later?

Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 20:47   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II
Re: Leaving the Great Lakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post

Currently on the western end of Lake Erie. I'd like to take the boat (38' sailboat, 5' draft, 5 knots) south for the winter. I can come up with around 14 travel days per calendar month.

My proposed route would take me from Detroit to Cleveland (2 days) to Buffalo (3 days), across the Erie Canal to Albany. Then south to Sandy Hook NJ. Three one day hops outside from Sandy Hook to Manasquan (6 hours) to Atlantic City (9 hours) and Cape May (5 hours). Turn North to Salem, west across the canal into the Cheseapeake, and back south to Norfolk.

Then, plan on leaving Norfolk around mid to late October and take the ICW inside south past Hatteras.

I'm roughly figuring four weeks of travel time for the first half of this trip, and leaving around August 15th.

Does this sound like a reasonable timeframe to get east and south to Norfolk before conditions on the Great Lakes, New York Harbor, and the New Jersey coast deteriorate?

Leave earlier? Later?
Without getting in to too many details I have a couple of thoughts. The odd overnight passage(length of Lake Erie, Sandy Hook to Cape May) will save you a lot of time. Check with your insurance coverage wrt heading south of Norfolk. Some do not cover for named storms if you are south of Hatteras or Norfoik until November 1. Really good idea to take in the Annapolis boat show on the way south. Check around carefully for best places to leave your boat when you are back at work. Some places are very expensive, e.g. Liberty Landing in Jersey City is a fine marina but $4.75/ft last I looked.

Old 29-06-2018, 10:20   #3

Why the Erie Canal with lift bridges and locks? Why not the Welland and Ontario to Oswego then into the canal to the Hudson? Unless you are seeking the ambiance of the Erie Canal it is s-l-o-w.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 14:43   #4

Boat: Etap 38i (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Without getting in to too many details I have a couple of thoughts. The odd overnight passage(length of Lake Erie, Sandy Hook to Cape May) will save you a lot of time.
I looked at that, and as much as I'd like to make that 24 hour run, or even the 40 hours to Norfolk. However I'm going with two non-sailors who can assist under direction but can't stand watch on their own. I figured splitting it up would be easier.

Quote:
Check with your insurance coverage wrt heading south of Norfolk. Some do not cover for named storms if you are south of Hatteras or Norfoik until November 1. Really good idea to take in the Annapolis boat show on the way south. Check around carefully for best places to leave your boat when you are back at work. Some places are very expensive, e.g. Liberty Landing in Jersey City is a fine marina but $4.75/ft last I looked.
Fortunately ours does. Appreciate the tips on the marinas.

Assuming 10 hour days for the most part, how much longer do you estimate transiting the entire Erie Canal would take vs going north to Oswego? Obviously I've never been through it.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 03:27   #5

Assuming 10 hour days for the most part, how much longer do you estimate transiting the entire Erie Canal would take vs going north to Oswego? Obviously I've never been through it.

It has been several decades since I last transited either the Welland or Erie; however, it would be about 2 days to transit the northern route and 3.5 to 4 days through the Erie. Notices and Alerts - New York State Canals and this one Boating on the Canals - New York State Canals Hope this helps.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 03:39   #6

Boat: 40 ft Pilgrim Trawler, MERIDIAN 2 (squared)

Don't overlook the need to unstep the mast for all or part of the Eire Canal
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38   #7

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

Quote:
I looked at that, and as much as I'd like to make that 24 hour run, or even the 40 hours to Norfolk. However I'm going with two non-sailors who can assist under direction but can't stand watch on their own. I figured splitting it up would be easier.

Fortunately ours does. Appreciate the tips on the marinas.

I have never done the Erie west of the Oswego Canal but the impression I have is that there are not too many locks on that section. I don't think that going via the Erie all the way will take much, if any, longer than going through Welland and then to Oswego. Also the Welland will cost you CDN$320 which is not to be sneezed at. Mast must go up/down in either case.
Old 01-07-2018, 13:16   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I have never done the Erie west of the Oswego Canal but the impression I have is that there are not too many locks on that section. I don't think that going via the Erie all the way will take much, if any, longer than going through Welland and then to Oswego. Also the Welland will cost you CDN$320 which is not to be sneezed at. Mast must go up/down in either case.
Iíve never done the Erie canal, but you donít have to drop your mast for the Welland (unless you are very tall). Cost is $30/lock x 8 locks, so $240 CND or US (so better to pay in CND $). You can buy your lock ticket beforehand online and only pay $200 CND.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 20:01   #9

Boat: Westsail 32
Wink Re: Leaving the Great Lakes...

Quote:

Leave earlier? Later?
Old sailors' rule: Never sail to a schedule.

Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes