Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 16:10   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
Lake Ontario south shore - destinations?

We're officially into the quiet season on the lakes, where we go a little bit stir crazy and work on planning next year. In that line, I'm thinking about where to go heading south and west from Kingston, ON.

The obvious bits from charts and books are to head across to Chaumont Bay / Sackets Harbor / Henderson Harbor. And then west to Oswego, Sodus Bay, Irondequoit Bay. Further west it's less obvious.

So what else is there? Any decent anchorages along the south shore that aren't apparent to me? Places to duck into while heading further west direction Welland Canal? Other suggestions?

Old 29-11-2017, 19:25   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Lake Ontario south shore - destinations?

Stay out of Rochester.

Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 19:30   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Stay out of Rochester.

Why? Port of Rochester marina is beautiful and brand new. great docks with lots of services nearby. There's no anchoring but its a great stop. They also often have 2 for 1 deals. stay 2 days for the price of one!
pcmm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 21:40   #4

Rochester's new marina has an area at the end of the basin where you can tie up for little or no cost. Beyond that the turning basin beyond the bridge is a possible anchorage. Beware the cement ship which comes in there. Beyond Rochester heading west is Braddock Bay (Thin Water) Brockport Yacht Club (Thin Water) Eagle Creek Marina (Thin Water) Pt Breeze/Oak Orchard (Deeper from west entrance around breakwall) Anchorage on west side of creek across from public launch with a dock on east side for temporary docking (Free). Also there is transient docking at Marine Park at low cost with showers. Under the bridge to Oak Orchard Yacht Club. Beyond that Olcott (Not Much for Anchorage) and Olcott Yacht Club. Then on to Wilson but there again not much for anchorage. After that the Niagara River is the last stop before the Welland.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:11   #5

Boat: catalina 34

I sailed south shore of lake ont this yr Rochester was a gorgeous marina but as far as the rest most were flooded out because of high water it was some of the best sailing this yr one night we just hove to in the middle of lake was great radar helps a lot with this in keeping u safe
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:22   #6

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

West from Rochester:

Oak Orchard - you can probably go under the bridge to the yacht club.

Ollcott - Good restaraunt at the yacht club.

Wilson - friendly Yacht club, a bit far from town.

Niagara On The Lake Sailing Club - is usually packed in season, but there is usually a mooring ball open. Walk up to the historic old town, lots of shops and restaurants.

Nothing to see at the Welland Canal.

Port Dalhousie - Nice beach, 5 cent carousel. Restaraunts, Bars.

Not on the south shore, but if you haven't been Main Duck Island is a great stop sailing too/from Kingston. Uninhabited Island, good anchorages (inner shallow) walking trails and ruins of old fishing community.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:22   #7

Boat: Alberg 35

Youngstown, NY (near the mouth of the Niagara River) is a nice little town to visit. You can anchor off just north of the mooring field where it is reasonably sheltered except when it blows from the NW. There's also a public dock just south of the YYC club house if you can get a spot early enough. Lived in Youngstown for about a dozen years and hung out at YYC. I can give you details of what's there and what might be worth seeing, but I haven't been there in a number of years so some of my knowledge might be dated.

Across the river is Niagara On The Lake in Ontario. Also a nice little town to visit, though I led a sheltered life and do not have much local knowledge of the town. They have a very sheltered harbor at NOLSC (Niagara On The Lake Sailing Club) but I do not know what their accommodations are for transients.

If the lake is rough and it's blowing into the river, you can head up the Niagara River and also visit Lewiston, NY (about 6-7 miles upstream. There is a dock there, but I don't know what the policies are regarding transients. There are also places where you could anchor before you get to Lewiston if you don't want to go that far, but I don't know if there are any public docks available with sufficient draft. (Joe Davis State Park boat launch?)
alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:33   #8

Boat: Mirage 35

Making notes
Old 30-11-2017, 08:48   #9

Fifty Point Yacht Club
https://www.portdalhousiemarina.com/
https://www.dalhousieyachtclub.com/
Marina, St Catharines, Port Weller, Boat Club, Marlon Marine, Marine Service

South shore on Lake Ontario is sparse for anchoring, unless you can find something protected - Jones Beach outside St Catharines Marina (limited draft in marina, mostly power boats) protected from south, west and northwest winds; west side of Port Dalhousie Pier protected from south and east; Dalhousie YC has transient docks, fuel, showers, and tender from club side to the tourist side; Port Dalhousie Marina has modern docks, showers, travel lift

If you going further west Fifty Point Marina (YC) is worth the trip, protected, modern, travel lift, etc. One of the prettiest spots on the lake, should book in advance for sure. Hamilton Harbour is industrial but has Royal Hamilton YC, Maccassa Bay Yacht Club and the bay sailing is great.

Hope this helps.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:49   #10

Boat: Catalina 375

Main Duck is a great stop off in any Eastern Lake crossing. Just remember there is a lot of poison ivy, snakes and big snapping turtles. Be forewarned before going. Dress accordingly and enjoy. The fishing is also good. There are books available on the history of the island. Remember Queen Elizabeth stopped there once for tea with the light house keeper in the day.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 08:49   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

This publication is well worth the price: Lake Ontario Edition | PortsBooks.com
Old 30-11-2017, 09:09   #12

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Three more places you can anchor:

Sodus Point:
Huge anchorage - restaraunts and marine shops here.

Jordan Harbour - The Beacon Hotel and Restaraunt has a large breakwater with the notable landmark of a replica of a tall ship sunk inside. there is enough room to anchor inside the break wall. Unfortunately the highway is very close. Take your dinghy under the highway bridge up to the village of Jordan, quaint little town with shops and upscale restaurants.

Hamilton Harbour - it's not all bad, there is a lovely anchorage in the northwest corner - the blast furnaces are usually downwind and are quite pretty at night Lots to do in Hamilton as well.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 09:16   #13

Boat: 34' Cruiser's

Hey Skipper...absolutely don't pass by Little Sodus Bay (aka Fair Haven) Spent many a fine day/night at Fair Haven Yacht Club. Great floating docks, water & power and good rates for both reciprocity from other clubs and not. I spent May, June and most of July there as a refugee as my marina did not have floating docks and thus no place for my boat as the slips were submerged.

And on the west shore of the harbor are many good spots for a night on the hook. Enjoy.

Also any of you boaters on Lake Ontario who want to get away from the congestion of the real busy ports (Roch, Iron.Bay, Sodus, etc) I know that FHYC has a few slips available for new members with power/sail and also have a special promotion for new members. Great place and very casual atmosphere.

Cheers!
GreatLakesCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 09:26   #14

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Well here is some updated comments on the above recommendations:
.Sodus is a picturesque fiord, friendly club don't miss it.
.Rochester has a really friendly club in the Genesee YC upriver.
.Braddock's Bay and Brockport are really shallow and we never could go there.
.Mind the bridge clearence at Oak Orchard, but a very nice club.
.Olcott has some good resturants. Uncle George was one of the Olcott YC founders.
.Wilson has a good resturant, two Yacht Clubs, and a NYState Park where you can anchor
.Youngstown has a town dock, a friendly YC with mooring balls managed both for the town and the club. There is also an anchorage just north and I think they will provide the bum boat for you.
.Niagara on the Lake SC has 4 moorings, visitor's docks on the river, and members slip when they are away. Since we are one of the most popular destinations on the lake we have implemented the Holiday Inn method of accommodations, call ahead for guaranteed reservations for the first night and we will honor the reciprocal for the rest of the stay. We don't want to turn away those who are holding $$$ worth of Shaw Tickets.
Lots to do here, the Shaw, Winery tours, shops, and bring your history book. Get the Shaw theater guide to plan a play, or hit the box office at 9:am and take your chances.
.Port Dalhousie recently has been a mess with the city of St Catherines redoing the waterfront. I would do some research before going there. I am told they are bent on erasing the charm.
.And I enjoy a visit to the locks on the Welland to watch the Salties glide by. Yr AIS app will clue you in.

First thing to do is order up the guide book: Ports: Lake Ontario & the Thousand Islands Guide - 2016
A lot more current detail is contained in this really good tome.......enjoy
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 11:49   #15

I'll second GreatLakesCapt. endorsement of Little Sodus Bay. This is the finest natural harbor on the south shore of Lake Ontario. The village has good restaurants and a growing artists community. Add to this the Colloca Estate Winery on the west shore and you have one of the nicest harbors anywhere. If you can't tell I'm a bit biased. All the above mentioned harbors have their good points but don't pass up Little Sodus Bay.

wmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination, lake ontario, ontario