Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 09:47   #1

Boat: Made offer on a Regal
Lake Erie

Looking for information about places to take the family on erie. Be the first time up in the lake. Just looking for spots that would be fun for the little ones and wife. Have a small cruiser and will be launching out of erie Pa. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Dave
Liltttzr
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 11:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Lake erie

The western end is definitely the most interesting because of the plethora of islands. Put in Bay used to be nice, but I understand that it has become a permanent "spring break" in recent years. Kelley's island is quiet and relaxing and some nice B&Bs there.

If you're interested in history, Johnson's island has a confederate POW cemetary that's kind of interesting. And, of course as the kids get older, they will be interested in Cedar Point.
Old 22-12-2011, 03:11   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I agree with the western end if you have the time to cruise there and back and enjoy the journey. If you plan to make stops in Canada, be sure to have your passports and information and number to call to clear in. No firearms allowed.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 06:03   #4

Boat: Made offer on a Regal

Thank you so very much. I would like to go for a week up on the lake so any spots are within the reach. Have passports for when we bare foot down in the caribbean so thats not a issue. Just want to have somthing closer to go to for next year.
Liltttzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 23:56   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Something closer that may be fun for the kids is Geneva State park and Geneva on the Lake. I've never been by boat but it reminded me of a coastal town with mini golf, bumper boats, arcades etc. Can't say how it is today but it's a bit closer and family friendly. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 04:20   #6

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

We are planning a trip over to the south side of Lake Erie in the summer.

Any ideas or comments on anchorages, marinas and things to do in the area between Ashtabula and Cleveland?

Thanks,

Frank
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:05   #7

Frank would you be staying at reciprocal clubs or marinas? Also what is the target audience? Adults, kids or both? I'm sure there will be ideas. SC
Old 24-12-2011, 11:00   #8

Re: Lake Erie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Frank would you be staying at reciprocal clubs or marinas? Also what is the target audience? Adults, kids or both? I'm sure there will be ideas. SC
Two adult couples and two boats.

This would be our first "international" trip and the first trip of any length of time for both couples.

Neither of the couples are members of any club although we are both members of Portside Marina in Port Stanley, Ontario (no affiliations to my knowledge). We are planning to go across to Ashtabula to check in and then gunkhole down to Cleveland (does anyone know if you can anchor in the harbour where the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is?).

Staying in marina's is nice and will probably be what we end up doing but we also want to try our hands at anchoring out and seeing what kind of issues arise when you're using a dinghy to get supplies and ashore. This is for when (if) we decide to travel further afield.

Since we have always daysailed and have returned to our home port every night, any advice on what we have to do to get a marina spot at night would be appreciated as well. Yeah, we're 'babes in the woods' but everything you've ever done was done for the first time once.

As always, any and all help, opinions and warnings are appreciated.

Frank
Old 12-01-2012, 13:43   #9

Boat: Albin Vega 27
A little late but squire bakery is awesome in Ashtabula. They have peanut butter filled donuts. Fairport harbor is nice and fairly cheap place to stop. Winter rates are reasonable.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:44   #10

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Lakewood's west side market has fresh produce. Not sure if it's open year round.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 15:11   #11

Thanks. That's a great start.

Frank
Old 12-01-2012, 18:19   #12

Frank check the active captain website. They have reviews on some areas and contact info for most. I have an iPad app where I sync that info so I have it on me in case of a need for an early stop. It saved my bacon last summer when the weather turned unexpectedly. (a mistake I learned from!). I was able to pull up the nearest marina call as I was within cell range and get a dock after confirming they could accommodate a deep draft boat. (barely!). Geneva State park would be a good stop too on that route. SC
Old 12-01-2012, 18:45   #13

I have been looking over the Active Captain site and it's pretty impressive. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 19:37   #14

North of Middle Bass (we called it school house, don't know why) is a nice anchorage and holding is ok. The bay North of Kelly's Island is tricky holding. We stayed there many a time. If you have a small boat you can take a dingy into the state park and use the shower. Lake Erie around the islands is our favorite place to sail. Put In Bay is fun, but after 4, kids should be on the boat. The marina at Kelly's is ok and you will enjoy the island. Peele Island on the Canada side is great, check in there and the next day go to Leamington Marina for a couple of days. Vermilion is fun and make sure you eat at the Prague...we have been off the lake 10 years now, so check this out before you go.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 20:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
We are planning to go across to Ashtabula to check in and then gunkhole down to Cleveland (does anyone know if you can anchor in the harbour where the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is?).
I am wondering about that too. I traveled to Cleveland a few months ago by car and walked down there, and there were a few boats motoring around.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote