Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2008, 20:12   #46

Boat: Shell Swifty 14, & 24' Culler / Bolger cat ketch sharpie
Grew up in Erie, Pa, for 18 years, and again for a year+ after the Navy.

I really miss the Presque Isle Penninsula, and to a lesser amount, the Public Dock. Misery Bay was a great place for boating!

Not much help to you tho, huh?
bassman1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 14:57   #47

Paul any idea if the moorings at PIB can be reserved or is it first come first serve? Better yet once you get one can you rent it for more then one day then sail around and always have one when you come back? I have been looking online for info but not much help.

I went to Catawba Island State Park this sunday and decided that is where I will launch. It does not seem as crowded and it is a straight shot to the lake. There looks like a place in East Harbor that is around 10 feet deep and would be a very good protective anchorage. Not sure how accurate the soundings are but it is off the channel and looks like some room for a dozen or so boats.

Weather forcast for sunday on out looks good so far. Here is hoping for some good weather and light winds.
ronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 17:26   #48

No worries dropping the hook behind Johnsons Island ~7 maybe 8 foot. Not enough for us but fine for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Joli
How is the draft behind Johnsons Island?

So all of Cleveland harbor is that busy? It looks like a pretty big area, suprised there's nothing out of the way.

When out cruising, we prefer a mix of anchoring & marina's, mostly anchoring.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 17:29   #49

Mooring balls are first come first served but.........it is very slow this year at PIB. Gas prices have hit the island pretty hard, don't worry about getting a ball.

You can pay for several days when you check in. To go day sailing leave a cheapo orange life jacker on the mooring ball, everyone knows then that it is reserved. The guys and galls running the harbor taxi will make sure no one takes your spot. Tip them they are having a slow summer as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc View Post
Paul any idea if the moorings at PIB can be reserved or is it first come first serve? Better yet once you get one can you rent it for more then one day then sail around and always have one when you come back? I have been looking online for info but not much help.

I went to Catawba Island State Park this sunday and decided that is where I will launch. It does not seem as crowded and it is a straight shot to the lake. There looks like a place in East Harbor that is around 10 feet deep and would be a very good protective anchorage. Not sure how accurate the soundings are but it is off the channel and looks like some room for a dozen or so boats.

Weather forcast for sunday on out looks good so far. Here is hoping for some good weather and light winds.
Old 23-06-2008, 17:32   #50

Looking forward to catching up! Hope the summer, such as it been, has gone well.

Not too much to report this year, some painting and varnishing. We'll be knocking off the old bottom this year and redoing that. No fun.

We'll look for you at SSC.

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Hey there Captain Joli !!!

Yes, we're certainly hoping to make it over to the SSC again this year !!!

As it happens...I'm now a bit "mercury deficiant" since it's been almost a whole year without perch from that little place in Sandusky !!

So we're hoping to correct that problem in the last week of July, or the 1st week of August.

It's quite nice to know there's a welcome dock at the end of the journey...so thanks (in advance) again for the hospitality !!!

How's the boat coming along ?? Anything new to report ??
Old 23-06-2008, 18:18   #51

Thanks Joli,

The closer this gets the more excited I get to get in the lake. You guys have been great!
Old 23-06-2008, 19:34   #52

Boat: Beneteau 36
Ronc :

It looks like I'm going to have to be checking in here more often !!!

I certainly agree with Joli...you likely won't have any trouble getting a mooring ball at PIB this year...even if you show up later on a Sat.

When will you be out there & What's your boat called ??

Just curious.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:45   #53

I am sailing a 1977 Chrysler 26 I refitted over the winter. Her name is China Rose however there is no name on the boat yet. I awlgriped the entire boat and have not put the name back on yet.

I will be lauching out of Catawba Island State Park on sunday(6-29) afternoon or monday morning depending upon how long it takes to rig it. The plan is to stay onboard until the following sunday. I will be solo so I can not wait to get out on the water. It will be nice to get away from LIFE. I also think it will be a perfect place to spend independence day.

I am happy mooring balls will not be an issue that was my one hang up. Sailing is one things, lack of sleep do to the fear of drifting is another.
Old 24-06-2008, 05:40   #54

Ronc :

Good luck to you with the adventure...& just one more little bit of advice...

The PIB mooring balls have rings with no lines attached...so having one of these things (see the link below...) is not a bad idea.

West Marine: Grab-N-GO Mooring Hook Product Display
Old 24-06-2008, 05:45   #55

That is actually on my list of things I need to get before I head out. I think that would make it easier to connect solo. If only I have a few more arms.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 24-06-2008, 12:47   #56
GMW

Boat: Tartan 37
Question

Well it seems as though I may not be headed to Florida but rather close to Dayton, Oh instead.

Where if any is a good place to keep a Tartan 37 on Erie?

I have never kept boat in a cold climate so I'm assuming it gets putted for the winter? Anyplace good?

Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to leave the boat out of state because atleaset on Erie I could get up for some weekends.

Thanks,

Mitch
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 13:33   #57

How is the bug issue on the islands right now? Down here in Columbus the bugs really are not an issue which is amazing but with all the rain I wonder how they are up on Lake Erie around the islands
Old 30-06-2008, 10:24   #58

Ronc :

Bugs are certainly a pain to endure & chase many a good woman away from sailing.

To solve this problem (for us) I had a full enclosure built to keep the sun off & the bugs out.

With windows & screens all the way around, the breeze comes though (or not) as we decide it should...& at night the cockpit stays clean & dry, so we never have to deal with a wet (dewy) cockpit in the mornings. Mary says having "the sun-room" is the best thing we've ever done to the boat.

Anyway, you'll find that sailing to the Detroit River, it's wise to stay well off Middle Sister Island as the bugs will come out to have a meal (on you) should you sail past too closely.

You see, the three Sister Islands are nature preserves (gull & cormorant rookeries) & so since the thousands of parent birds bring fish back for the babys to eat daily & then everybody poops...it's really a "fly's heaven on earth" on all 3 islands.

Be afraid...be VERY afraid !!!
Old 30-06-2008, 13:38   #59

So much for my nice weather window. Looking at the forcast I think the only good day I am going to get is tuesday. Today monday has a small craft advisory. Kind of shoots a hole in plans.

Anyone up there have a first hand look at the conditions for this week?