Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 04:21   #16

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies
Re: Kingston (Ontario) Cruising

Hi Founts,

I'm in the Thousand Islands (Gananoque). I think most of the previous advice is pretty spot on. I agree with those above suggesting a smaller boat for the islands, tacking and sail handing needs to happen pretty quick some times if you plan to use your sails in the islands and big sails can mean big work. A lot of the islands have docks for small boats, say 30 and under but you can't get big boats onto them, so it will mean anchoring off and taking the dinghy to the island, which is less fun, especially if the weather is dicey or you plan on having a few beers.

A few things to keep in mind for cruising in the area, the Murray canal guarantees a depth of 5',so realistically you want a draft of 4 1/2 feet or less. The Murray isn't important transit route for boats on Eastern Lake Ontario because it allows you to reach Toronto etc, without making the long and potentially nerve racking trip around Prince Edward County. Lots of marinas in the area have very limited depth as well.

There are a few bridges in the area that can give you a hassle, one that comes to mind is the bridge at Hawkesbury if you plan on doing the Rideau/Ottawa/St Lawrence loop. It's 47 feet, so an air draft of less than 47 feet might be useful.

Make sure you get a boat with a good engine, because lots of motoring happens in the thousand islands, some times against a 2 knot current. So, I like the suggestion above of the Grampian 26, but if you're saving lots of dollars on the purchase, price, you can afford to spend some money on a nice brand new Honda 4 stroke long shaft 9.9 for it. I might avoid boats with Atomic 4's and the like, just because with so much motoring it would be nice to have either a 4 stroke gas outboard or a diesel inboard.

I'm occasionally looking for help with canaling (St Lawrence Locks), pm me if that kind of experience would be of interest to you.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 04:32   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I disagree with buying a starter boat. Buy your last boat first. It will save you tens of thousands of dolars over the long run if you get it right.

Join a yacht club as a "crew" or "associate" member, its an inexpensive way to get sailing on various boats. Racers are always looking for rail meat

Here is some fuel for your educational thirst ... Marine Survey 101
Old 17-03-2016, 14:37   #18

Thanks Brad!

I'm definitely willing to invest a bit more for a boat in good shape. That's great advice and thanks!
Founts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post

Hi Chris. I totally agree with Brad (above post). I sail out of Collins Bay. Will be launching about 1st of May and spend every nice day on the boat. I'm always looking for friends to sail with, so you're more than welcome.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my email.
David

Thanks for the offer David - I'm definitely interested! I can't PM yet (I think my post count is too low?) but I will soon as I can

Cheers!
Chris
Old 17-03-2016, 14:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I disagree with buying a starter boat. Buy your last boat first. It will save you tens of thousands of dolars over the long run if you get it right.

Join a yacht club as a "crew" or "associate" member, its an inexpensive way to get sailing on various boats. Racers are always looking for rail meat

Here is some fuel for your educational thirst ... Marine Survey 101
I keep leaning this way (last boat first) I'm going to the Annapolis boat show up in April to experience some crazy dream boats but I'm really happy with this offers to crew on boats - what a great community!

I'm doing a week long liveaboard course in May and then will be working on making friends who have boats to get some experience on different kinds I am also just finishing up my Marine Mechanics course at the college for some base knowledge

Thanks!

Chris
Old 17-03-2016, 14:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
Hi Founts,

I'm in the Thousand Islands (Gananoque). I think most of the previous advice is pretty spot on. I agree with those above suggesting a smaller boat for the islands,....

....I'm occasionally looking for help with canaling (St Lawrence Locks), pm me if that kind of experience would be of interest to you.
Thanks Ungvar! I'd definitely love to get out and get some experience. I have a very flexible schedule during the summer. I can't send PMs yet (says I'm not a trusted member... probably not enough posts yet!) but will when I can.

Cheers!!
Chris
Old 17-03-2016, 15:57   #22

Boat: Mirage 35

Week long liveaboard? Out of Kingston / Collins Bay? With Wavelength, by any chance?

If so, say hi to Phil for me. We'll be there end of May - beginning of June, finishing a course that was postponed from last year due to a series of unusual events.

And Ungvar: If you're looking for help with canal transits etc. and can't find anyone local, I'm only two hours away and would be happy to help if available.
Old 17-03-2016, 17:08   #23

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Anglaishull, thanks for the offer, I think I remember from a previous thread that we're both from Ottawa, so we could even car pool if we wanted.

Cheers.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 17:23   #24

Boat: Mirage 35

Okay, keep me in mind, PM me if something comes up. I'm trying hard not to sound like I'm desperately looking for a date, but the winter has been long and boring, and if you (or anyone else in the area) would like to just get together for a coffee and talk about sailing, I'm interested.

Old 25-03-2016, 20:39   #25

Boat: 1980 Aloha 34

Hi Founts, I got the sailing bug about 7 years ago in Kingston when a buddy took me out sailing for the day. I ended up buying his boat! There are tons of cheap older boats in Kingston in the 25'-35' range. I started with a 25' 1975 Northern. Spent summers going through 1000 islands and spring/fall doing boat projects.

My advice is buy an old reliable boat in the mid 20' range and after a couple years you can upgrade to a better boat in the low 30 foot range.

For me a small old boat:
1) made me pretty fearless. If it sank I was out a few 1000 dollars. You can practice all your sailing, docking, anchoring, navigation skills and WHEN you run aground or clip a dock who cares?
2) allowed me to learn boat maintenance. I've learned electrical, plumbing, rigging, fiberglass, sail repair, etc. again if I mess up the resale goes from $3000 to $2900. Most of the projects were cheap and somewhat optional. I considered it fun training for a good boat someday. More fun messing around on your own boat than sitting in a classroom at st Lawrence college.
3) you spend this first couple seasons meeting other boaters and seeing which boats you like for your next substantial purchase.

For the first couple seasons stay in the river/1000 islands as you build your skills. It's awesome sailing (if navigationally complex). You are protected from big wind and waves from open lake, always within a few hundred metres from shore and lots of other boater in sight if troubles arise.

Lots of cottages for rent in the 1000 islands so you can sail but use an island cottage as a base rather than live for weeks with an entire family on a small boat. Fulfill both dreams of sailing and cottaging.

Finally say hi to Phil if you are taking your live aboard course on Wavelength. I took that course in 2011 and since chartered 40 footers in the BVIs, Grenadines and Thailand. Great experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BionicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 03:32   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bionic.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 15:52   #27

Boat: Aloha 34

Good day,

I am in Ottawa and have been looking at the boat market in "Eastern Ontario" for some time. kingstonyachtsales<dot>com is another broker.

The Sail Canada courses are definitely a good way to start. Advantage Boating out of Nepean Sailing Club (NSC) offers both in house and distance learning radio (VHF) and Navigation courses. They also have something called "Sail Share". Google Advantage Boating for details.

Coffee/beer and boat talk sounds good to me! NSC has a bar overlooking the water, even if the boats are on the hard.

James
Scadian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, ontario