Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 11:24   #1

Isle Royale, Lake Superior

This is a link to a video log of our trip from Bayfield, WI to Isle Royale National Park. It's a vacation video so it begins with our road trip to Bayfiled but the sailing begins at around the 17 minute mark and you can fast forward. It includes lots of well edited, high definition footage of the Apostle Islands and the western end / north side of Isle Royale, moose, anchorages, hiking information, and storms. Yes, it's a vacation video but it's well produced, stable video that tells the story of our trip without making you sea sick on land. If you are thinking about cruising to Isle Royale you might get a glimpse of what to expect from our trip. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/EY4KYVznebA

redgcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 19:57   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Isle Royale, Lake Superior

Thanks for the video. I watched it with OpenCPN running on another system to have maps of the places on the video.

Which chart books were you using?

Would you charter with the same company again?

Old 26-02-2019, 07:23   #3

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

I enjoyed your video as well.

I was up for the second time last summer as well. I trailered my boat up launching at Grand Marais, sailing the North side of the island then around Rock Harbor a bit, across to Passage Island before crossing south to the Keweenaw, across to the Apostles, then back up to Grand Marais via Taconite Harbor.

Earlier in the year then you guys were, only saw two sailboats outside of the Apostles and generally had pretty nice weather despite an upwelling of cold bottom water driving the lake surface temps down into the high 30s in some places.

Tied up at Windigo. We were stuck here for a day waiting out some violent storms.

Motoring into Rock Harbor to pick up a crew person who was arriving by ferry for the last week of the trip.

Looking across the anchorage at the boathouse on Passage Island. This spot was the coolest place we visited on the trip but is not a place I would venture into with a boat I do not know well.

Plotting freighters with the manual AIS system during a fog bound crossing to Taconite from Sand Island. My new ICOM 506 had a bad AIS chip, so I used marine traffic's website whenever I got data on the phone and would plot targets and estimated times on the chart so I knew who was going to where approximately when.

CSL Frontenac right on time. Fog had burned off by then leaving us with a lovely sunny day.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:28   #4

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

St Mary river up bound. Plan a full day. AIS is nice to have. There are a few places to anchor.

At the Soo, the marina below the locks offers free or reduced day tie up if you buy fuel. Nice for shopping or the micro brewery.

You may not anchor in Canada unless you check in.

The locks are efficient and quick. We used the American lock on the west end.

It’s a long way to White Fish point so plan your anchorage. We found quiet water about a mile above the locks.

Your fist anchorage west bound will be Grand Marais. Little Lake is never an option, too shallow to enter.

Grand Marais, anchor at the west end near town. Lake Superior Brewing! Good craft beer and good food. Bakery and breakfast place across the street.

Plan to motor and loiter close to shore along Pictured Rocks.

Anchor in Munising or press on to Marquette. Munising is easy anchoring and the ialnd Bay to the north is well sheltered as well. Hiking on the island.

Marquette has a few marinas or you can anchor out. We are too big for the town marina so we tied up at Cinder Pond Park. There are three micro breweries in easy walking range. Many nice restaurants serving mostly comfort food.

There are some anchoring options west bound but we cruised the Superior Islands and ducked into the Keewanaw canal east end. There is free tie up along the south wall with huge bollards in the bushes. This is just east of the boat launch and park. The park has pit toilets.

We found free tie up at the wall by Houghton at the parking garage. Pass under the garage and find the cafe with free WIFI on the Main Street stairway. Lots to explore along this waterway.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake superior