Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2013, 05:53   #46
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is There a Wrong Way to Start Sailing ?

There's no 'Wrong Way' to start something...
I learnt by being part of a 6/9 man rotational crew on 27ft Montague whalers and 32ft cutters in the Royal Navy...
everyone had a go at everything and when there was no wind we rowed... the only dinghy's around were wooden clinker 14ft+ things that people popped across to Franceon.. or sailed the creeks... and yachts were dead posh..
Navigation came under Seamanship up there along with knots/splices and sail repair/maintainance...
The first time I set foot on a dinghy was in 2002 (had sailed in the year before after a solo trip from Carib to UK)) while working at a RYA School and the youngsters goaded me into it... it took 15sec's to capsise... only the once... it was all I needed to 'read' the boat,
balance is a sense that you have or you don't... it cannot be learnt.
Sadly there are some who have the dream but will never live it because they are incapable.. not because they are stupid... on the contrary... its just for some reason beyond them... a good friend is like that... there seems to be a hole that everything falls into and disappears where nautical nessessities are concerned..
Its a puzzlement...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Is There a Wrong Way to Start Sailing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I only briefly skimed the previous posts but its pretty much the same ole CF crap. Dont listen to the start small advice, get the boat you want and figure the **** out. 60 feet might be a little much, but if thats your goal why waste time and money on some other boat. Taking a bunch of ASA classes, a 420 dinghy, crewing, hanging at yacht clubs, does that sound fun? Screw all that. A good starter cruising boat should be 30'-35' get something like that, if you wanna go far get a morgan OI 41 and start today.
Ok, I'll bite .

Your plan is an option - if money not a consideration and you are happy to learn many things the hard (and slow) way.

Apart from the learning curve cost of bumping into things and also breaking stuff and later finding out the hard way that stuff does need maintaining....the biggest risk is that "you" simply don't like sailing or boats. or worse, your wife doesn't! (at least not with "you" onboard, as the clearly incompetent Skipper with her life in your hands).......at which point you learn the joys of selling a boat, which usually don't involve getting your money back - even when you didn't pay an ignorance premium at time of purchase.

Obviously some folks don't have the time to start smaller and therefore have to jump straight in with the big boat (they just get to suck up the financial risk of that approach - not unsurmoutable, but nonetheless a risk), whereas with small they can more easily afford to take a huge percentage knock and the cost likely to be in the thousands rather than the tens of . In any event a few K (or so!) lost on a smaller boat will very likely be regained (and then some!) when buying "the boat" from knowing what they are looking at, even if only to know what problems not to touch with a bargepole no matter how nice the scatter cushions are! or what the Broker or even a Surveyor says (won't be them dealing with an optimistic buy).

Not to say that I favour the sailing dink approach, at least not for folks who have reached an age to not be getting much fun from being dunked in the oggin fairly regularly......

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01   #48
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There's no 'Wrong Way' to start something...
well there is , anyway that puts your life or others lives at risk. Many people have tried learning sailing that way. Few have succeeded.

we used send small boys up chimneys , is that a good way to clean them!!

dave
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28   #49
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Sure theres a chance you will hate it, your wife will hate, or you'll buy the wrong boat. But If you know in your gut ths is what you want, starting real small is a waste. I get the point that from no boat to big boat the learning curve is huge. So its down to, smart guys can do it, but dumb guys can't? I see a trend of people who have been around boats for 20 years, assuming that a newbie needs lots of time to become up to speed. Some yes, some no.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29   #50

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
well there is , anyway that puts your life or others lives at risk. Many people have tried learning sailing that way. Few have succeeded.

Dunno mate... In grew up in Pakistan.. we used baths to clean small boys out there...

dave
Come on Dave... everything we do involves risk to life... just everyday living places us in danger... get real FCS...
Just because the majority walk on the left side of the road does not mean its impossible to walk on the right... in spite of the idiots walking the wrong way and making life difficult...
The OP can spell so I figure he's not dumb...

Born To Be Wild
Old 02-02-2013, 06:30   #51
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Hey those chimneys got cleaned right?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

dave
errrrr. Yes . Small hands also good for making trainers.

Just (IMO) not so good to live in a society that allows either, not from any moral perspective (me no have ) but simply self interested pragmatism as means that similar stuff could also impact on me - and if nothing else living in a dog eat dog world is hard work. And as I get older I get ever lazier .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43   #53
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Come on Dave... everything we do involves risk to life... just everyday living places us in danger... get real FCS...
Just because the majority walk on the left side of the road does not mean its impossible to walk on the right... in spite of the idiots walking the wrong way and making life difficult...
The OP can spell so I figure he's not dumb...
Sure Sure, i agree, most people are sensible enough to survive. Ive seen a few classic f-ups in my time though. ( and a lot of Gfs and wives lost to sailing in the process)

I must start using all these fancy fonts!!

Dave
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45   #54

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey.... leave my last trip outa this....

Born To Be Wild
Old 02-02-2013, 06:59   #55
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey.... leave my last trip outa this....

I was waiting on the dock ( got a call to take the boat onwards) , some years ago, and as it docked , the wife was standing on the rails with a bag, she cleared the rail , and shouted " you can stick your boat where the sun dont shine" and stormed off. Guy was in a 40 footer new sailer.

Seen a few of them.

Mind you I once did a delivery where the female partner knew absolutly nothing and was so taken to learning something ( and besting the hubby), that she went off and did a YM over the next few years, she sails better then he does,
dave
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17   #56

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
In particular older women are not attracted to dinghies in any fashion.

-cough- Margaret Dye -cough-

... in general I agree with your points. But don't short-sell dinghies... and seniors. Many seniors are happy dinghy sailors; add a trailer and it's now a destination sport (... starting to sound like cruising?)

When I taught CYA Learn To Windsurf (in Canada, not the tropics), there was always a senior or two. The lead instructor, and several of the most decorated racers are seniors.

/end of derail
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37   #57

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My 2c as a sailing instructor of many years. Suggestions of how to do it "right"

1. Learn to sail before you buy a boat.
1.1 Take some classes -- this will dramatically shorten your learning curve time.
1.2 Build experience -- the more the better
1.3 Repeat steps above a few times.
2. Learn on a small boat (approx 30' or less) initially before moving up to bigger boats.
3. Don't learn using wind instruments...learn to sense the wind and how the boat responds.

It is common for new sailors to be concerned about single-handing, but once you gain some experience this is not a big deal.

The only "wrong" way I think is aboard really big boat, loaded with electronics.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52   #58

The only Wrong Way to start sailing is by spending lots of your time sitting in front of a computer trying to learn about it via the internet.

Anything you do which involves you being on any type of boat out on the water, is the right way to do it.

(with sincerest apologies to the rest of the CF devotees)

"If anythings gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!"

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: