Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2012, 16:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Is there a wrong way to start sailing?

IMHO the only wrong way to start is to "not" take at least a lesson or two.

I was talking to a couple of friends - Oh you have a boat. Interesting. We tried renting beach cats on vacation and we hated it.

Really? Why?

We capsized and it took as an hour to get righted. Then we sailed 5 more minutes and capsized again. Sailing is a PITA.

The only other wrong way to start is to not start at all...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:27   #17

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this, I have taken something from everyone who has posted, questions answered and new ones raised. My search continues.

ottawakyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 03:45   #18

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

I went with the TS idea and picked up a Mac 25.

I rigged up a gin pole, block and tackle and a clip-lock for the forestay. It takes less than 15 minutes to raise and secure the mast by myself (less than 5 min once the mast is attached to the hull. Great for going under timed/fixed bridges).

I normally sail on Lake Erie but if I want, I can hook the boat onto the truck and in 6 hours or less be sailing in the North Channel. I figure about 24 hours would put me on the coast in Florida (that includes the 4 hour wait at the border ).

The disadvantage of the TS is a distinct lack of head space. The Mac has a pop-up at the companion way but in the rest of the boat, you're bent over to move around.

HTH,

Frank
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:30   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I've never had a trailer boat. At 25-28 foot sail like aAlbin woud be perfect to learn on. I do suggest you get something with an in-board motor, outboards are a pain.
Snip
t
This is where the nature of sailors is truly shown lol. We all like something different and we never agree on everything, but its all about each person and their own needs. For small boats I much prefer an outboard to an inboard. They are much easier to service. Can be used on a tender if required and can even be used as emergency steering depending on the set up.

Sure they are a little louder, but you don't get that diesel smell in the cabin. For the most part they are only used to get on and off moorings, so the need for an engine that will run for hours and hours is diminished.

Dont get me wrong, for anything that is for coastal cruising or over 28ft I would agree for the most part. But for TS's and 25ft weekenders an inboard is overcapitalizing. Just my 2 cents proving that we are all different. But its something for the OP to consider.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi OZ

Throughly agree. Sailors can only agree on a few things, amongst which generally are: The desirability and need for sundowners. Landlubbers don't dip. Powerboaters know less than sailboaters (unless you are a powerboater, in which case it is the opposite). Women sailors are met less frequently than male sailors, but are more desirable to meet (and share sundowners with).

Just so I don't get a spanking - please note that I said sailors can GENERALLY agree. Being a coward by nature and experience, I choose to run and live to fight another day.
Old 22-08-2012, 04:55   #21

Agreed!!!!!! For once
Old 22-08-2012, 13:06   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawakyle View Post
questions answered and new ones raised. My search continues.
Welcome to the club! - every answer generates 5 more questions, but that's the way it is with all things boats .

Raising a mast on a trailer sailer (i.e. something designed for that to happen regularly) is not a big problem (unless it is a really bad design) - but it is a PITA as won't ever be a 5 minute job. But every boat has pros and cons - you just get to pick which of each you are happy with.......and later you get to change your mind .

You can learn to sail on any size boat - 25 foot for sure. I would however recomend staying well within budget on the purchase so you can then easily afford the bits and bobs and tweaks you will want to do (plus to fix the things that break - or you did not realise were fooked when you bought!)......bigger is sometimes better. but sometimes not (especially when it comes to paying for stuff!).

Personally I would go something I could fairly easily stick on a Trailer (maybe around the 17 to 20 foot mark) but would keep her afloat except in Winter (take her home?) and the odd trip to another area (by road). Likely you will have some sort of (very!) small cabin (a couple of berths and an open plan Khazi ), but your main accomadation / living area would be the cockpit - under canvas. Despite the previous comments, on a small boat that is older (especially on it's umpteenth owner!) I would favour an outboard over an inboard, performance wise an o/b not quite as good but IMO more than compensated for by the likelihood that the o/b is not original and if it did go pop would not be such an expensive disaster.

Not for everyone of course.....but that be boats for ya, all shapes and sizes
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 18:40   #23

Re: Is There a Wrong Way to Start Sailing ?

David Old Jersey makes a good point about keeping some money aside for bits and bobs. You will find that you "WILL" spend money on any boat. A new thingy here and a new whatsie there. It will add up very quickly. Just a full safety kit for a day sailer can be a few hundred depending of the quality of gear.
Old 22-08-2012, 18:50   #24

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper
David Old Jersey makes a good point about keeping some money aside for bits and bobs. You will find that you "WILL" spend money on any boat. A new thingy here and a new whatsie there. It will add up very quickly. Just a full safety kit for a day sailer can be a few hundred depending of the quality of gear.
Especially if you get excited about auto inflates, but then realize that when it is over 100 you want to play in the water, so you get ski vests, then need something for COB drills, but decide to go ahead and get low end vests, for when you have guests...
Old 22-08-2012, 19:03   #25

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Another plug for trailer-sailors as your first boat. Last night we just got home from 4 days of sailing and staying on our 19' boat on Lake Mazinaw (where Bon Echo Prov. Park is) with 10 other boats who also came from far away.

We are based at a Lake Ontario yacht club and get in lots of big-lake sailing, but we also check out other lakes at least once a year. Two years ago, we trailered to your neighbourhood (Lac Deschênes), and had an awesome time. Look at the boats in the Ottawa and Hull clubs; you'll see many daysailors and micro-cruisers in the 17' to 24' range. Fun to sail, enough space for a couple to weekend in, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

Is there a wrong way to start? Buying too much boat can definitely be the wrong way to start. We have big-boat dreams too, but we're honing our skills and having big fun at little cost with our small boat, while we plan and save for that bigger boat. Depends on your capabilities and goals, of course, but if Ottawa's your home, anything bigger than 25' seems a waste, to me.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 19:46   #26

Boat: 1984 Sovereign 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

I am soooo happy to see that i do have the lingo right afterall...lol

I am a new sailor. Bought my boat, a 24 foot in April and while i had it bottom painted and inspected by the riggers i started taking lessons. I am in Florida so i keep it in a wet slip year round...i am so happy with my choice. She has a very shallow draft which is perfect for our water. And i had things done to make her easy to solo, (lazy jacks, auto pilot...etc)......i hear alot of people complaining because they purchase a large sailboat with a deep draft and then have trouble .....i knew i wanted a starter sailboat that i could easily learn on and bop around Sanibel, Captiva, and Cayo Costa....
When i first started reading it seemed so overwhelming....but once you get out there with a good instructor and a boat thats a manageable size....and properly equipped for single handing...its not that hard at all....
goldiphlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 20:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Another plug for trailer-sailors as your first boat. Last night we just got home from 4 days of sailing and staying on our 19' boat on Lake Mazinaw (where Bon Echo Prov. Park is) with 10 other boats who also came from far away.

We are based at a Lake Ontario yacht club and get in lots of big-lake sailing, but we also check out other lakes at least once a year. Two years ago, we trailered to your neighbourhood (Lac Deschênes), and had an awesome time. Look at the boats in the Ottawa and Hull clubs; you'll see many daysailors and micro-cruisers in the 17' to 24' range. Fun to sail, enough space for a couple to weekend in, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

Is there a wrong way to start? Buying too much boat can definitely be the wrong way to start. We have big-boat dreams too, but we're honing our skills and having big fun at little cost with our small boat, while we plan and save for that bigger boat. Depends on your capabilities and goals, of course, but if Ottawa's your home, anything bigger than 25' seems a waste, to me.

The point has been made several times about checking out what others in my area sail, I guess I will keep that in mind. I will look closer at some smaller boats , shallow draft and the option to trailer may well make sailing a much more enjoyable experience for me as I live within 4 hours of possibly thousand of lakes, a hand ful of which could be sailed im sure. The canal to lake ontario im sure would take 2 or 3 days, the drive just an hour, perhaps the best way for me to get to bigger water is to drive (provided I have actually learned to stay alive out there)
Old 22-08-2012, 20:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawakyle View Post
The point has been made several times about checking out what others in my area sail, I guess I will keep that in mind. I will look closer at some smaller boats , shallow draft and the option to trailer may well make sailing a much more enjoyable experience for me as I live within 4 hours of possibly thousand of lakes, a hand ful of which could be sailed im sure. The canal to lake ontario im sure would take 2 or 3 days, the drive just an hour, perhaps the best way for me to get to bigger water is to drive (provided I have actually learned to stay alive out there)
Ahh.. thats a really good point. I have owned both. And didn't mention that the cruising options are so maximized for day sailing and weekending. We took our TS up to 1000 kilometers from home to sail in different waters and states. Something that is much more time consuming on a fixed keel boat, where unless your going offshore you are usually confined to a single area if your not willing to pull a lot of over nighters. So weekend exploration areas are increased dramatically given the right geography.
Old 22-08-2012, 21:19   #29

SO i discover the paceship 23 swing keel with a trailer. 3900$ canadian. I like the setup 2' draft space to boot, the truck will pull it ,might be working hard at 4600 lbs, unless the mentioned 2370lbs ballast can be removed? is that water? without a big heavy lead or steel keel is water used as ballast?
The questions keep coming. This gets more interesting all the time.I wonder how long it will be till i tackle a restoration?lol
Old 01-02-2013, 00:07   #30

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
My two pence on the wrong way to start sailing would be to even consider buying a boat before building up a bit of experience sailing. Visit your local sailing club, get some lessons, cruise on other people's boats. Then after building up the experience, test yourself with a proper sailing course and exam. You will be in a better position then to look for a boat of your own, if sailing is for you. There will always be boats out there for you to buy, judging by the number of trailer sailors, that sit in front gardens or marinas for years without moving.
Regards Joe

joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: