Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2011, 12:09   #16

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Re: International Border Incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Hmm too bad. if it was a Canadian doing the same thing he would probably have been arrested! the US has set the rules and restrictions and it now costs money for us to cross the lakes so maybe a little TIT for Tat. In the same vein though off topic Why does it cost $35.00 US to transit the two American locks on the Seaway and only $25.00 CDN to Transit the canadian Locks? Surly service US Mostly friendly Canadian all this could have an impact on how your treated.
$35 US is now about equal to $25 Canadian.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:19   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The 200 mile limit mentioned above is the "Economic Zone", not the limit for passage. Fishing or any commerce inside that zone is controlled by the country claiming the area.

Right of free passage. That is true, however, you cannot claim free passage without notifying the Border agency. Fishers and tourists/cruisers alike are allowed to pass up the inside passage on the west coast, for example, if they meet the criteria for being allowed into the country. When you enter the 12 mile limit you have entered the country. If you haven't notified the border agency prior to entering you have violated the laws.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 12:25   #18

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
**shrugs

every weekend morning
oops... weekday not weekend.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 13:27   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
**shrugs

every weekend morning (about 9:07 am) i want to toss a dart at a map...

my comment was more about how we (i) may need to adjust the way we think about and plan for cruising.
Good plan. Do you close your eyes first?

Answer still depends on what part of the world. BVI would have totally different concerns than Malaysia or even Mexico.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 13:49   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
while a crappy situation that i would hate to find myself in, it does introduce some interesting discussion points.

1. while in international waters, do we need a 'palm greasing' kitty
Don't even THINK of greasing a Canadian border official. It's the quickest way to go to jail.

Quote:
before i read the article and found out the fine was paid with a credit card, i figured this was just some greedy cop shaking down another sucker.
Thanks for thinking of crossing the Canadian border as putting you in the third world.

I am not trying to start a flame war here, but considering what is going on in Washington right now in trying to address the precarious economic situation the U.S. is in versus the enviable position that Canada is in within the G8, there may have to be a revision of what countries are included in the "third world".

I truly hope the U.S solves its economic issues, because when it sneezes, many others get a cold.
Old 28-07-2011, 15:23   #21

Boat: C&C Newport 41

avb3,

i expect to find more crooked officials in the US than most countries around the globe.

a month ago my 22 yr old kid called me and without even saying hello said 'what is the 'ex pat' thing all about and how do i become one'

i gave him some info at which point he replied 'so i can just go anywhere that isnt here... okay. thanks. bye' [and hung up].
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 15:49   #22

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Thread drift alert!!!!! (temporary)

This thread got me thinking...

1) If a US citizen sails from California to Hawaii, do they have to check out and then check in, or is it just another state border line crossing, and

2) If a non US citizen does the same trip, does he have to check out and in again, and

3) does the time taken to sail accross get included in a 90day visa allowance, or does the clock stop on leaving California and start again when entering Hawaii?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:02   #23

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
One of things I've learned about the Canadian/US border is you can expect the application of rules to vary everywhere you go.
Maybe they aren't so much rules as guidelines subject to interpretation as the situation warrants.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:13   #24

Boat: grampian 26

[QUOTE=ssanzone;739810]while a crappy situation that i would hate to find myself in, it does introduce some interesting discussion points.

1. while in international waters, do we need a 'palm greasing' kitty
2. what should be on our departure check list (call the bank / credit card company and alert them to international travel to prevent charges being declined due to suspicion of fraud)
3. what is the current international climate and (forget the law) what is the best practice for avoiding incident en route
4. how does this enhanced border control affect the (god i hate bringing it up) idea of personal protection (i.e guns / bear spray (or wasp spray :P) etc)

before i read the article and found out the fine was paid with a credit card, i figured this was just some greedy cop shaking down another sucker.

-steve[/QU

Why not come up and visit Canada and judge for yourself. Bring your guns at your own peril.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 16:59   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

So they are upset that they crossed 1/4 mile into Canadian waters. Looked all over my Canadian charts, didn't find one P.O.E. at the water boundaries.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 17:10   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

The requirement is that they phone in and, to quote the article, "announce their presence".

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 18:30   #27

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Thread drift alert!!!!! (temporary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

1) If a US citizen sails from California to Hawaii, do they have to check out and then check in, or is it just another state border line crossing, and

2) If a non US citizen does the same trip, does he have to check out and in again, and

3) does the time taken to sail accross get included in a 90day visa allowance, or does the clock stop on leaving California and start again when entering Hawaii?
1) NO, same applies to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

2) Yes. You MIGHT get away with it, but I doubt it.

3) Don't know the answer to that one.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 02:25   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Sounds a bit like fisheries protection by other means (initiated by rival local fishing boats? or simply a lippy skipper ) - all's fair in business

Of course the "rules" for US folks and boats immediately south of the border will be different from many countries in the rest of the world simply because the Carribean is Uncle Sam's backyard and relations are close with (most!) countries / islands.......so they do what they are told / what is conveniant for the US (having plenty of guns and ships and a cheque book (credit card? ) wandering around the region probably helps - I guess the Puritan's War on Fun has a spin off ).........I only mention it because what is "normal" in one place may not in fact be normal elsewhere (even if you are international in the Carribean).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 06:16   #29

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I live in upstate NY and have crossed over to Canada and back numerous times. Before 9/11 it was virtually painless in both directions with the Canadians caring whether you were bringing in guns and the US seemingly more interested in what unprocessed agricultural products you might be carrying. Both sets of authorities always took my word for it.

After 9/11 it got ridiculously difficult with long lines at the border and US officials giving everyone a very hard time, with the new rule requiring a passport from everyone causing a lot of grief for both Canadians and US citizens because we used to be able to cross with only a drivers license. Anything the Canadians have done in response is only a shadow of what the US still requires. If all they want is a phone call (and that really is all they want) you are a fool if you dont do it. In all the countries I have sailed to there isnt anywhere that is as easy to enter for a US flagged boat as Canada. It is much easier going there than coming back here.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 07:36   #30

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Thread drift alert!!!!! (temporary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

1) If a US citizen sails from California to Hawaii, do they have to check out and then check in, or is it just another state border line crossing.
Several years ago before 9/11, as a US citzen I flew from SF to Hawaii. As we approched we were required to fill out a Costom form. Customs and Immigration have no way to tell if you're a US citizen until you tell them.

By the way you can be arrested for fishing in BVI waters while checked into the USVI. Its happened.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote