Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 18:41   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: How do I escape the Great Lakes in Sept?

Unless I have misunderstood, the OP is looking to leave Lake Superior in September, and get to the Chesapeake before the snow flies. Certainly it's no problem from the lower lakes. Leaving from Superior in September is a whole different story, especially if he's near the western part (I don't think I've read where on Superior the OP is located).

Doable ... probably. But fun, it won't be. And it could become impossible if weather closes in.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:37   #47

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Thanks for more thoughts on this everyone. One thing I am very aware of: my plan IS more like a delivery than a cruise, I don't even think of it as "cruising", I think of it as simply doing what I need to do to get my boat out of the Great Lakes (think 0 degree winters) in 2015 so that I can spend 2016 - 2018 (and beyond?) going more appropriately SLOWER, and probably safer, on the Atlantic or ICW to places south and warm. I have considered shipping it to Pensacola, but it just seems like a much better adventure moving it on the water than moving it on the ground. After all, its a boat. I just want the boat far enough so I don't have to ship it over the winter to get south. I will wait for a weather window for a long time once I'm far enough to not get stuck.

I certainly hope I can start sooner, that will depend on both the boat and my family's willingness to see me off. I'm pushing for mid August, which as you know on Lake Superior is often a great time for crossing the lake. I'm in Bayfield, so I do have alot of lake to cross. This would give me an extra 2-3 weeks to hole up for weather, skip some of the overnight passages and make scheduling crew exchanges less challenging. I read over alot of the blog linked in Stu's post, and being reminded of the vaguaries of weather, motors and gear, I definitely would like to have some flexibility for these likely, but complicating events.

Sailboats do mess with schedules. So far I've always needed a schedule to get anything done. I like the idea of the Annapolis Boat Show as a goal. There seems to be two other sources for schedules: some one else's schedule or the seasons changing. In this case, its the season changing. Just like sailors head north before the hurricanes or south before the winter storms, I want to "head out" before I'm iced in!

Nice to know about insurance dates. If insurance wants me to wait north of Norfolk until after November 1st, I can spend some time lurking in the Chesapeake's early "winter" attending to the boat, having spent my payload on discounts at the show. One of the benefits of finding the boat on Lake Superior is it came with a great heating system.
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

I sincerely hope it goes well for you Rolf. You obviously know what you're doing, and know what you're getting into. If I can offer any advice from my experience, don't hesitate to ask. In fact, I have a Richardson's Chart book for Huron, and perhaps a Ports Book (although I may have left that on our boat). I could send them to you if it would help. I also have some charts for the North Channel, but I assume you won't be spending any time there. If you want those items, send me a PM so I can get your mailing address.

Good luck. Maybe we'll see you down south in a few years. We're heading out the St. Lawrence this spring, heading to NFLD. Not sure what we're going to do after that.

BTW, we bought our current boat from La Pointe, across from Bayfield. Beautiful towns and wonderful cruising grounds.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:34   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I sincerely hope it goes well for you Rolf. You obviously know what you're doing, and know what you're getting into. If I can offer any advice from my experience, don't hesitate to ask. In fact, I have a Richardson's Chart book for Huron, and perhaps a Ports Book (although I may have left that on our boat). I could send them to you if it would help. I also have some charts for the North Channel, but I assume you won't be spending any time there. If you want those items, send me a PM so I can get your mailing address.

Good luck. Maybe we'll see you down south in a few years. We're heading out the St. Lawrence this spring, heading to NFLD. Not sure what we're going to do after that.

BTW, we bought our current boat from La Pointe, across from Bayfield. Beautiful towns and wonderful cruising grounds.
Fell a little privileged to know some of the CF members getting ready for their next journey in life.
Good luck to you all.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 14:05   #50

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

Thanks Mike for the encouragement. I already have an offer of charts so I think I'm in good shape there. I've heard the St. Lawrence is beautiful but with minimal infrastructure, though it sounds like you sail like that already. I wish you the best on the St. Lawrence and Newfoundland this summer. I've sailed south out of Nova Scotia in November and it was exhilarating to say the least. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up in Bermuda?

Weavis: I've always loved the westerly, thanks for the nod!
RolfP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 14:53   #51

Boat: Island Packet 40

Annapolis boat show is a good goal but unless you are going to the show, you are better off getting past Annapolis before the show. There is a mass of boats moving south after the show. Anchorages and marinas are very crowded and there is considerable traffic at ICW bridges. Nothing you can't deal with, but just wanted to give the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 14:58   #52

Boat: Island Packet 40

Rolf, also forgot to mention....if you are interested, our blog has an Erie Canal section. Not sure if it helps but the URL is www.nauticalendeavors.com/islandbound

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes