Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 14:21   #1

Boat: Victory 35 Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Crystalbleu
Great Lakes to FL

My Husband and I are actively shopping for a cruising catamaran. We are planning on looking at a couple in the Great Lakes Region. We would welcome any feedback on the best routes down to FL. Costs involved in transit and travel times. We are open to traveling either to the Atlantic or to the Gulf. Whatta Ya Tink?
Crystalbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:46   #2

Depends where the boat is. If it's over Lake Michigan way or beyond it's likely shorter to go Chicago/Mississippi. If it's in the lower lakes it's likely shorter to go via ICW. I just Google Earthed this out the other day and from Sturgeon Bay, WI to Miami, it looked to be close to 500 miles shorter going Mississippi. But that's just distance, I have no idea of what other costs may be involved such as lock fees, etc.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Once you get to the Gulf, there you are; but where is that?
Anywhere on the East Coast is a gateway to everywhere.

We did the Great Lakes (Thunder Bay @ Western extremity of Superior) down the NY State Canals, AICW & Atlantic to Florida in about 3 months, including several "lengthy" layovers. Left Toronto right after Hurricane Andrew, arrived Ft. Lauderdale early November (± 2 months), for that portion.

Whichever route you choose, you'll have a great time.
Good luck!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Take a look at the Great Loop Cruisers' Association website. It's got a lot of the info you're looking for.
Old 28-01-2010, 07:10   #5

Boat: Gemini 3000 Windrider
I brought my Gemini 3000 up the Tenn Tom all the way to the Apostle Islands 5 years ago. It was a great trip. Wish I had had more time to spend on the rivers. I have loved having a cat on the great lakes. The comfort is awesome.

Last summer I brought Windrider to Door County WI (Lake Michigan) From Bayfield WI (Lake Superior) amazing 8 days. Kept up 11 knots for over a 24 hour period.

Let me know if you are still ooking at the trip or if you have alreadey left. I have all of my notes from the trip up.

Capt. Smitty
msmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 09:10   #6

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I am not sure how or if this will come into play but I have been getting word from St. Louis that they maybe closing the illinois river due to some fish from China taking over the rivers and they have a fear they will make it to the Great Lakes.

Best of luck,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
I am not sure how or if this will come into play but I have been getting word from St. Louis that they maybe closing the illinois river due to some fish from China taking over the rivers and they have a fear they will make it to the Great Lakes.
Best of luck,
Dutch
Asian Carp, found in the Illinois River, pose a significant risk to the Great Lakes Ecosystem. To prevent the carp from entering the Great Lakes, a permanent electric barrier between the fish and Lake Michigan has been installed in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal.

More ➥ Asian carp may have breached barrier protecting Lake Michigan

And ➥
USACE Chicago Dist - Chicago Fish Barrier

Old 27-02-2010, 06:52   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I know this is a dated post but this has been an evolving issue for those planning to travel the Great Lakes this next boating season, but it appears the Asian Carp have not yet crossed the barriers,
Waterway Guide - General
WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 07:38   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
... it appears the Asian Carp have not yet crossed the barriers,
Waterway Guide - General
WG
It does NOT appear that the Carp haven’t crossed the barriers. It does appear that no fish have been found; but they've left DNA evidence behind.

Does DNA lie?

DNA tests, at the end of September and early October (09), showed 32 positive hits for carp DNA in the Calumet Sag Channel of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, even though no actual Asian carp have been found. That puts the fish miles past the electric barriers, and a mile below the O'Brien lock and dam in southern Chicago. Beyond that lock is a 7-mile stretch of open water leading to Lake Michigan.

Old 27-02-2010, 08:15   #10

Neither does the findings of DNA provide proof that the Carp are in the lakes. DNA in itself will not result in the carp invading the lakes and the DNA evidence is questionable at this point. The DNA can be carried past the barriers on the water via currents etc, where the eggs and fish themselves may not be able to cross. The Carp can not reproduce from DNA alone and this information simply states that to date there has been no additional evidence that the carp have croosed the barrier. If that changes, I will post that information also if it is of interest to members here. The DNA has been found but no one to date has seen, felt, touched or smelled a fish past the barrier. The reason for my post was to relay information to interested parties as the information comes available. If that changes, I or someone else will surely post it. We have been keeping up on this issues as new information develops and passing it along as we get it without any speculation or attempts at emotional or personal opinion. I realize that you are from this area and have a definite stake in the outcome of all of this Gord, But I am simple passing along additional information as it becomes available. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 28-02-2010, 12:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not wishing to overstate my position, let me restate it more clearly.
We DON’T KNOW whether the Carp have passed the barrier into the Great Lakes. We don’t have proof positive, either way.

While it’s true that we have no “corpus delicti” absolutely proving that they have migrated into the lakes, we also understand that “absence of proof, is not proof of absence”.

Apparently, we do have some DNA evidence, SUGGESTING that they may have done so

Accordingly, the only reasonable assumptions I can make of such evidence, is that they may (or may not) have crossed the barrier, with, at least, some very small likelihood that they MAY have done so.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30   #12

Info on the current considerations that might affect the Loopers this year,
http://www.waterwayguide.com/newsupdate.php?area=1#693

WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Tags
great lakes