Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2013, 16:31   #16

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Great Lakes Bound from Annapolis this summer: Cruising Guides, Favorite Spots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocir View Post
Thank you all very much for the info! We are hearing a lot of patterns in recommendations, which is a good sign. Our Albin Vega 27 will be right at home in rocky coves and we look forward to the quiet anchorages.
About the only thing I can add is the weeds and the depth guaranteed by the system as four feet, if memory serves. Their website should give you hours of operation, fees and depth. Earlier in the season is better than later due to traffic volume and weed growth.

Old 18-02-2013, 20:32   #17

Boat: PDQ Capella 36
Re: Great Lakes Bound from Annapolis this summer: Cruising Guides, Favorite Spots?

There is extensive damming along the Severn to control water height, and Lake Ontario's height is governed by the dam at the mouth of the St Lawrence. Whether authorities are keeping it in range can be seen at the link below.

Parks Canada - Water Levels

Old 01-03-2013, 21:02   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40
Try vermilion for a stop. Great town, dockage and restaurants. Put In Bay or Kelleys Island. All are in Lake Erie.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07   #19

Boat: Stevens 47

Anywhere in the North Channel is awesome! Tons of solitary bays and anchorages, and pretty good fishing, late July-fresh blueberry picking!

Gore Bay has some nice little restaurants, great marina. Blind River has a great marina, and it's a bit of a trek to get to the grocery store, but you can use the bikes at the marina, taxi available as well. Great upscale restaurant, the 17, in Blind River as well. As mentioned, Spanish marina is nice as well. Meldrum Bay is nice, all new docks, and a liquor store, one restaurant with just awesome food, but get there early.

If you get that far, Mackinac Island is a great place to visit as well, especially if you like the smell of fresh fudge and horseshit<grin> Tourist mecca, but worth the visit.

Rogers City MI and East Tawas MI were great places for us to visit, good marinas, great restaurants......I could go on forever. Lakes Huron and Erie will keep you thoroughly entertained no matter what your desires...quiet and solitude, or big marinas with shopping and great restaurants.

Have fun, I envy you your time and itinerary!

gunk
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

When you leave Oswego to cross Lake Ontario it would be a shame to miss the 1000 Islands area and Kingston Ontario. I second the "Ports" books as worth the money and I've seen them much cheaper on Amazon.
Old 02-03-2013, 18:55   #21

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

My only thought is I don't think a year is enough!! If you are just travelling the canels (Erie,Trent/Severn) to Georgian Bay and then straight back- ok, but thats not cruising the Great Lakes, thats a very small part of it. I started listing places to do/see on the Great Lakes and realized the post would be a book....
Old 02-03-2013, 20:19   #22

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

avon skin-so-soft works against black flies. Just saying.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Start with that and include heavy duty bug repellent, screens for all hatches and ports and if possible screens for the cockpit. Many days are bug free, but the wrong place at the wrong time and you will know why I posted this.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19   #24

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
Tbrad, I was trying to remember A Well-Favoured Passage. More folksy than the Ports guides, an excellent complement to have both.

Your route seems perfectly reasonable, but might consider taking the Trent in, then running downstream through Lakes St. Clair, Erie, and Ontario. Just on Erie you could visit put-in bay, Peelee Island, Leamington, Rondeau, Long Point, and Niagara Falls.
Good call.

Recommend Wingfield Basin (plus the lighthouse), and sailing over to Tobermory. Get some chips at the small hut in the middle of the little harbor. Also, stop by Flower Pot Island just out of Tobermory or Devil's Monument in Dyer's Bay just beyond Wingfield (depending on the conditions, you can tie up at the government dock and row/kayak over to Devil's monument - see google earth)
Old 04-03-2013, 18:16   #25

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5
Our black flies treat it as a marinade!

Tags
annapolis, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: