Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 07:00   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
GL Forum: Dead in Here

Our southern brethren continue on, discussions on weather, migrating, Tortugas, wintering aboard, etc. And here on this forum it is dead.

Iceboat season is still at least a month out as temps waffle on either side of freezing.

I was running an angle grinder yesterday and after 20 minutes my thumbs were frozen and burning. So much for that. The teak stripped from the boat sits in the garage since we went from Fall immediately into Deep Winter and there was no "cool weather" during which to work.

Dreams of upgrades bring constant perusal of Ebay and CraigsList. Memories of a warm breeze and family jumping (and jumping and jumping) into cool waters fade...it's too early to have hormonal spikes thinking about the next summer.

The Blahs.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:45   #2

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: GL Forum: Dead in Here

What's to say? Boat is cradled and covered. Post haul-out depression is nearly over. Launch is 5 months away, give or take. Looking forward to going south myself.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Sorry, Tete - I'm just entering winter blues. I did my first on-boat project for the winter while it was still above freezing, but now I've switched to basement projects like re-finishing sole boards and adding a leather wrap to the wheel. It's a long time until Splash Day over on Lake Huron.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54   #4

I just came across this on the general page of new posts. It's nice to know there is a GL forum though.

I know the feeling. We hauled out at the start of September and won't be back in until May long weekend. We already have had several -30deg C and colder days (that is not counting windchill). Our boat is covered and patiently waiting. Cutlass bearing is due, a few seacocks and 1 thruhull, some other odds and ends before crane in comes around.

For now I'm living in youtube videos we posted from past seasons sailing the North Channel and Lake Huron, sorting through this years footage to post new videos, and reading books. John Kretschmer's new book is out, that's always a great thing to have on hand during the off season.
GuyFromTheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51   #5

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Delphine north the PDQ 36R is put away all covered up in Toronto and after New Years Delphine the Outremer in Greneda will get lauuched and away we go . I have boat projects year round .
No one feels bad for me LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We purchased a Catalina 36 which is in Sackets Harbor, NY but have not even sailed the boat yet - powering around with the surveyor does not count. Not much to do until spring. We are off to Buenos Aires on Friday for a cruise to South Georgia and Antarctica (24 days). Paying (a lot) for the cruise with difference in price between our former Bristol 45.5, which we found out is great for crossing oceans but not so much on Lake Ontario. We will also be helping friends take their Jeanneau 40 from Antigua to Portugal starting in the second half of May. Next summer will be getting the Catalina all sorted out for a trip to Lake Superior in 2020 and to Newfoundland in 2021.
Old 13-12-2018, 06:20   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
No one feels bad for me LOL

Agreed!

AinA- good for you! Sackett's is a beautiful base. Hope you take the opportunity to cruise the Thousand Islands area.

Wish the bloody bays would hurry up and freeze. The iceboats are sitting, waiting to run...
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 08:32   #8

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Thumbs up GL Forum: Dead in Here

Hey, it's busier now than it is in the summer! Lol!
Old 13-12-2018, 09:25   #9

Boat: Sabre 34 Mk 1

Building a new tender here (PT11) that I plan to launch next season. So, yes, boat projects continue.
KimSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 11:00   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I remember one year where it rained and blew for 90 days straight. Suicide rate soared. Californians sold their houses and moved back South (not all bad). Boat on the hard. Working below with good heat.
"The worse winter I ever spent was a summer in Puget Sound."
Mark Twain
By the way, the summers here are usually very nice. Usually.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 12:26   #11

Boat: Hunter passage42

There are advantages to our short seasons.
We dream of the summer to come, go to the boat shows, work on boat projects in the basement, inspect all the systems while on the hard, and are refreshed with the anticipation of launch day.
If you are able to sail anytime you like, there is always the possibility of getting bored with your hobby. Just sayin.
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 14:21   #12

Boat: Schooner 78'loa

So true about the weather! I've been trying to get projects done on the boat but it is just too cold and damp. Maybe we'll have a thaw.
Huron Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 16:46   #13

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

It's supposed to go above freezing on Saturday. I think I'll drive out to the boat, unfold my ladder and climb in under the tarp to see how she is doing. And bring back some tools I need for home projects. Sigh...
Old 13-12-2018, 17:21   #14

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

The “family boat” (1962 Pearson Triton) sits winterized in the shed. I continue to work on the “big project” (47’ Alden ketch) while it snows/sleets/freezes/fogs outside. Hope to launch next spring. If it was nice outside I’d be pining for a turn at the tiller!
Old 14-12-2018, 08:49   #15

Boat: Sancerre 38

I was on the boat working yesterday. I get pretty discouraged trying to work in the winter with frozen fingers, but yesterday was glorious. 40 degrees! I have lots of work going on. Right now I am doing a major DC electric overhaul. I have torn out miles of crazy snakes nest wiring. I am making a place for new house batteries, and moving the engine battery. I also tore out all of the old instruments, and bought new, but I am waiting till closer to spring to install them. Right now the project is in that phase where I keep getting in deeper and deeper, but I feel like soon I will turn the corner and things will really start to come together. We are planning a work sabbatical this coming year, with a trip out the St Lawrence and down to the Caribbean, so there is much to be done. As long as it is above 40 degrees, I really enjoy the work.
Kenr74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum