Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-08-2016, 10:03   #46

Boat: Want a B430!
Re: False Ducks, Timber Island and Pigeon Island.

Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
We have repaired or towed a boat in distress almost every year of the last 20. Almost all could have been easily avoided.
Just this last weekend I was sitting on a boat, the only one of five in the fleet to complete the race, when sailors on another dock started hollering for me to get my inflatable and come help a sailboat in distress. I did, but then I asked them "why the #*@& does everybody call me when we have USCG, CGA, county sheriff and TowBoatUS on this Bay??!!" The answer, rhetorically, was because they knew I'd get there faster and get it done right. Anyway, helping other boaters comes without questioning whether they "deserve it" or not- we just do it.

BTW, said boat I was on weighs probably 20k lbs, and it has no depth sounder, nor anchor, nor radar. Admittedly, it's not designed to, but we have sailed through precarious waters and crossed the lake on these kinds of boats.

I've grounded on Galloo entering Gill Harbor and the weather wasn't nice and the bottom wasn't either. Luckily got off by gunning in reverse when waves lifted the hull. But this area is no more dangerous than the Thousand Islands. If you know Featherbed Shoal, you can go inside. If you know the cuts you can get past Rabbit Island.

I've run the rapids in Oswego in an inflatable, and in the "big boat" cut between Newark and Eagle Island in Sodus. I'm chicken to cut inside Ford Shoal, though everyone else I know does it. And there is a bus-sized rock off the east pier of Sodus that 99.99% of sailboats miss- I know, I've seen it and fished it on a perfect day.

If Ungvar wants to go to Timber, let him. Give him sound advice to consider for safety's sake. Suggest recovery and /or rescue planning. Then let him go. I for one am looking forward to his report- and bring a damned camera!

Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:57   #47

Boat: Oday 27

Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
In this year's Lake Ontario 300 one of the solo sailors ran aground in the area you are planning to visit.

The bottom around PE Point, the False Ducks and Main Duck is typically shale with large boulders. The bottom may be 8-10 feet deep and then suddenly there is a 5 ft high boulder the size of a small car sitting in front of you.
The boat in question was Sorpresa who grounded doing 6.4 knots. FWIW.

30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:55   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

Agree with you Tete. Op asked a specific question. He got good advice, including (I would agree) getting a depth sounder and not anchoring in certain places except in perfect conditions. Seems like a reasonable fellow, and will do things with sufficient caution. If he should get into trouble I will be happy that my tax dollars are being spent to assist him.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: