Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 12:28   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Exploring Green Bay & Bays De Noc

Summer's not that far off so I'm sketching our next trip to Lake Michigan. We'll be there the first three weeks in June and plan to explore Green Bay. Will probably spend 2 nights most stops and will be a mix of anchoring & marinas. Planning to transition the ship canal to Sturgeon Bay, then down to Little Sturgeon Bay and, so we're not just going up or down one shore or another, crisscross up the bay to Oconto (maybe -depth may be an issue for our 5' draft so we'll assess at the time) and/or Marinette/Menominee, Fish Creek &/or Eagle Harbor (they appear to be within walking distance of one another), Sister Bay, Cedar River, Washington Island, Escanaba &/or Gladstone and Snail Shell Harbor. Of course, wind, weather and distractions may alter our itinerary. We're both fit and routinely walk six miles or more and I'll walk even further for something really good; especially food! If we're not anchored out somewhere, we don't need a lot of attractions as long as there is a restaurant and bar. We're skipping the city of Green Bay on this trip as I've been there may times. Am I forgetting something or should I forget something? Also, I've gotten the impression that, though tourist season will be taking off by then, the boating season doesn't pick up until July. Any truth in that?
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 13:05   #2

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Exploring Green Bay & Bays De Noc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangutan View Post
Fish Creek &/or Eagle Harbor (they appear to be within walking distance of one another)
I used to vacation in the state park between these. It's good you're comfortable walking 6 miles, because that's what it will take. I would find walking along the main road there unpleasant due to traffic. Walking through the park would be more pleasant, but there is no direct trail between the harbors.

The harbor within the park, Nicolet Bay, is also a popular anchorage. The beach there is more dinghy friendly than the towns and there is a concession stand and convenience store adjacent to the beach. I want to say Fish Creek has a dock that lets you tie up for a few hours for free.

The boating season does lag the tourist season a little due to cold water temps, but most everything is open in June.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 13:12   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Exploring Green Bay & Bays De Noc

"Am I forgetting something or should I forget something?" Durangutan

June is still very cold in Green Bay with temps in the 30's at night, sea fog on many days and you'll need to bring some serious outdoor wear. A few years ago, the Straits of Mackinaw were still frozen in June. However, it is probably my favorite Lake Michigan cruising destination. The best time to sail that area is July/August. If you're a fisherman, the fishing is very good. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald