Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28   #1

Boat: 1984 Harbor Master
Buying '87 Sea Ray 360

Hey Guys/gals,
Before I dive into asking for thoughts, please be aware that this is not the beginning of my research on this boat, but that any and all comments are welcome!

I am about to buy (pending surveys) a 1987 Sea Ray 360 Aft Cabin and I'm wondering if there's any History I should be aware of with regards to this particular boat. I understand the variables are immense and not all problems occur simply because it's a Sea Ray, so I will take with a grain of salt (no pun). But History tells us some...

The gist: Twin Mercruiser 260Hp, 5.7 liter V8s, 6.5Kw Onan generator, Marine AC/heat, Full bimini with enclosure, Two stateroom, Two heads, Dual helm stations . New canvas and the boat has been maintained by the certified marine mechanics in the marina where it is stored.

She was sold new in 1988 and put into storage before ever hitting the water. The original owner had a number of big life events and kept the boat stored indoors for 14 years. The local Sea Ray dealer did the initial dealer prep and splashed the boat for the very first time in 2002! All systems were fully tested and the boat was properly broken in by marine mechanics. She has had two very good owners since then and has only seen light freshwater use. This customer will warrant the 2 engines. $27,900

The engine(s) only have 450 hours on them due to the boat being put into storage (see notes) so, as long as this story checks out I'm not too concerned with its low hours and, along with other beneficial reasons, is a major reason in my interest in buying.

I've found lots of great stuff on Chris Crafts, lots of warnings surrounding steel hulls, some generic problems with Gibsons, etc and general things to too look out for when buying a boat, but haven't found anything SEA RAY Specific.
This will be used as a Liveaboard for myself full time on the Mississippi in Minnesota.
Any help, experience, advice, etc helps.

ALSO, anybody rec a Surveyor in the MN-WI-IA area?

This forum has been an amazing source and wealth of information. Thanks in advance for your reply and for the impressive responses to others posts in the past.

Dave
DumDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 15:00   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Buying '87 Sea Ray 360

30 year old boat and engines. Sitting indoors or outdoors? Have the internal engine bearings been rusting internally for how many years? And you did not mention if she has inboards, outdrives or V-drives. Bet the shift cables dont even budge!
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 15:26   #3

Stored indoors every Winter.
Straight shaft inboards.

Cables move freely, as do most operational cables.
Again, essentially didn't begin its "voyage" until 2002 but was in water last two seasons.

I'm confused. Are you saying "Sea Rays particularly" are prone to cable seizures and internal bearings rust? or are you saying "in general, expect these things for a boat that age"?

(Mostly, it's Sea Rays that I'm looking for historical views; I'm aware old boats in general will have these kinds of hazards.)
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2018, 15:36   #4

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

If it has gas engines, I would not be too worried about an eventual rebuild: I cannot imagine a cheaper motor to rebuild or buy parts. BBC and SBC engines are supported by every auto parts and machine shop in every little town as well as the internet. Long blocks, short blocks, big blocks or small blocks all are available at prices that will make the diesel guys green with envy.

If it has 450hrs since '02 any bearing issues would have shown up by now. if it was mine i would look into converting to EFI if not already simply for the economy boost.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:15   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

There's a SeaRay owners forum out there somewhere, in case you haven't seen it...

-Chris
Old 11-03-2018, 08:39   #6

thanks!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
thanks!

I'd definitely want to know if any hull coring was used and if so where and what material was used. The hull and deck joint is likely screwed and requires close examination. And the stringers, if they are encapsulted plywood or what. That's just the structural. You'll want access to the rudder packing, exhaust hose connections, and plumbing such as the shower sumps. Good luck.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:33   #8

Sounds like a nice boat, just remember you are the market, if you are buying because you think it’s a good deal you may be disappointed.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:23   #9

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Sounds like a good fit for you.
That being said, I take stories about any boats past with a grain of salt. It really doesn't matter anyway, you are buying it NOW. I second the Sea Ray owners site as they will have been there done that.
Our first big boat was a 1984 37' Silverton. Pretty much the same build quality as Sea Ray. Go over your boat with a fine tooth comb and it will either pass your expectations or you'll keep looking. Watch for blisters, solid fiberglass hull but also known to have blisters in the 80's. Deck will be balsa cored so watch for any hardware penetrations because they've probably not been re-bedded.
Your survey will catch most of the major stuff if any, but it really comes down to weather or not it's a good fit for you. Sea Ray's are decent quality and the 360 aft cabins make great liveaboards.
Hope all works out and your enjoying living on the water soon! We've been liveaboards for the past 8 years and love it. Too cold up there tho, move on down here, muuuuuuch better
Old 12-03-2018, 06:05   #10

Sounds like you have bases covered .
I have a 1984 21 ft walk around IO sea ray Owing 20 years .
Called Fisherman .
I also have a 31 foot marina kept cruiser .
Purchased new IO for Sea Ray and when I removed old engine found soft transom . Stripped engine room and rethinking if I want too do transom work Lot of work .
Back in the good old days manufactures used wood under fiberglass which you might consider , and a survey will discover any issues .
Your using as a live a board , so your not concerned with fuel burn or generator . An issue I have with my 31 footer , 2 engines , generator packaged so tight that preforming work is challenging . An engine has too be pulled too get too generator . Holding tanks, clean water, dirty water, fuel tanks all under floor , any work that must be done the floor has too cut .
At my marina here in Fla , there are many similar styled boats , Sellers faced with vessels needing engines, falling behind on marina fees, They cant retrieve their boats without full payment . Most strip their boats leaving a hull . Vessels so large , your options limited . They walk away .
If your not planning on using , just as a water condo you have little too be concerned except bottom cleaning & checking for leaks. Make sure your marina offers haul outs If your planning on boating then you can expect constant repairs your head will spin .
Are engines self contained cooling or raw water cooled ? Raw water Manifold & risers a must , no difference if you have 450 hrs , change them
GOOD LUCK
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:05   #11

Awesome stuff!
Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:20   #12

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Thumbs up Buying '87 Sea Ray 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
There's a SeaRay owners forum out there somewhere, in case you haven't seen it...

-Chris
Quote:
thanks!
Club Sea Ray
Old 12-03-2018, 13:20   #13

Thanks!
Can't find a specific SEA RAY 360 Aft forum there though.
Very generic categories (except for Sundancers)
The SEARCH function there is not very adept...cannot Search by Boat Model owner, geographic, etc

But, a definitely good start! Thanks again
Old 12-03-2018, 14:11   #14

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Thumbs up Buying '87 Sea Ray 360

Quote:
Thanks!
Can't find a specific SEA RAY 360 Aft forum there though.
I bet that if you started one you'd have a ton of participants!

You're welcome for the info.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2018, 15:07   #15

Two years ago I purchased a 1985 Sea Ray 30' Sedan Bridge from a (one owner) located on Lake Erie. The engines are 350/260 w/1,600hrs and runs great. The boat was well cared for. Since that time we have put about 600 and miles on her running the Mississippi River in Pool 19 to 23 taking overnighters. Expense wise we replaced the Captain chairs and bench on the bridge. We also replaced the AC/DC converter, fresh water pump, AC sea water pump. This year I am having the props re-balanced and replacing the drive shaft strut bearings. I knew there would be repair costs involved, normal upkeep and hull painting etc. I am very happy we purchased the boat and wouldn't change anything. This is a 5yr plan for us!
Dave Richter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sea ray