Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2010, 11:55   #16

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
[QUOTE=Northern_Lights;564263]
Would a deeper keel give me that much of an advantage to windward (over a shoal draft) - or would the shoal draft pay for itself (speedwise) by allowing me to get into more spots?QUOTE]

We have a shoal draft and find it very useful especially in anchoring and access. For example, you can't get into the Spanish marina with a deep keel. As well, you wouldn't be able to transit Beaverstone Bay into the Collins inlet and vice versa with a deep draft. You'll have more leeway with the shoal draft but I believe the pros outweigh the cons. My opinion only.

Good luck!
Old 22-11-2010, 13:11   #17

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Our wing keel is 4'-6" and I've seen 6 ft. on the depth finder more than once. As Dave said, this past summer going from Beaverstone Bay to Collins Inlet, saw 6ft.

Some locations I like to get in close to shore as possible and have anchored in 8ft., sandy bottom and calm conditions. People we met up with this past summer had hit bottom with 6'-6" draft just north of Parry Sound, narrow channel, edged to the side by a powerboat on half plane and were bounced by the wake.

CS27 deep draft is 5'-2" so isn't too deep. You can still go lots of places, just be aware of the depths in the channels.

Another good place for CS info is the CS Owners Association website. Click on the listings down the left side for boats for sale by owners.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 13:29   #18

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Lights View Post
Hi Scott, yeah it's me. (I use the FlyingWelshman handle at Sailnet - it was a whim. My boat is Northern Lights. It has a much nicer ring to it.)

We are probably going to sail Northern Lights for this season. That will give us time to get her ready for sale and also to research some other boats. Last year I had the opportunity to sail an O'Day 322 and motored aboard a Mirage 30 (I'll probably get the chance to sail that one next summer).
As I said: I don't necessarily want a bigger boat - the main advantage to me would be the larger quarter-berth. Also, I have been out in 25+ winds and 2 - 3 meter waves and my old girl gets a little antsy (you can take that to mean what you want). The bigger boats felt more solid. Both the CS and the Catalina are almost twice the weight of the Nash. I took a look at the CS 30 and it looks comparable to the Catalina. I thought they were less beamy but it's only 5" narrower.

Would a deeper keel give me that much of an advantage to windward (over a shoal draft) - or would the shoal draft pay for itself (speedwise) by allowing me to get into more spots?

The good news is: I've got my wife thinking seriously about the prospect of a new (to us) boat. That's a step in the right direction.

Getting your wife "on board" is a definite plus

Not sure what happened to my other post.

Here's an article from the CS Owners Association site on a guy that actually cut down his regular keel to shoal depth on a CS30. CS30 Keel Refit He states he doens't notice a difference in pointing, but not sure how accurate his reference may be.
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 18:19   #19

We love our Pearson 385. While there are not a lot of these around, there are Pearson 365s out there. Our friends have one and they love it. Solid, sails well and a good layout for a couple. we had 14 in the cockpit once...
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes