Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 07:05   #1

Boat: TBD
Anyone On Lake Michigan?

Is there anyone on here that has a boat on Lake Michigan, on the Michigan side, that wouldn't mind showing someone a few things on board? Not a sailing lesson but maybe a tour of the boat and what is what.
Fred
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 07:26   #2

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Anyone On Lake Michigan?

Hey Fishi,
Me and my wife sail on our 29ft boat out of Muskegon MI. It's not usually too hard to talk me into visiting a boatyard on a weekend or weeknight to poke around boats. I'm a youngish sort of fellow (at least compared to the average around here). I'm 31 and live in Grand Rapids. You can feel free to PM me if you'd like and we can swap phone numbers. Did you buy a boat? Or are you looking at one for purchase? There are at least 3-4 other regular posters that I know of on the west coast of Michigan. Lets see who else responds!
Old 16-04-2014, 07:59   #3

Thanks for the offer, I'm in Kalamazoo so it's pretty close. I have not purchased a boat yet. I am a ways from it too. I'm not sure about a few things on the boats and have only been on one sailboat. A friend out of Chicago took me out. Didn't get below to check that out, we just cruised out from the CYC and came back for a Cubs game.
Perhaps we could get together soon as to warms a touch. I will pm you soon.
Fred
Old 18-04-2014, 06:50   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you find your way up to the Grand Traverse Bay area, I'm on Suttons Bay and would be happly to give you a tour.
No Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 19:18   #5

Boat: Telstar 28

I'm in Grand Rapids and keep a boat in Muskegon, too. I'm in the process of selling one boat and moving my "new" acquisition down from the U.P., if the ice ever melts. Let me know if I can help. My wife and I are always happy to entertain questions.
Steve
drsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 19:32   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are also in Muskegon. Presently on the hard at Torresens. Lots of used boats there right now. Arrange for the sales guys to show you through a few. Roxy is the only yellow bottom in the yard. Our 58 ft ketch is more than you would mess with for a first boat but I'd be glad to give you a tour.

check out the listings
Brokerage Department | Torresen Marine
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 05:44   #7

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Fishigan, did you ever get out last summer? How's the boat search going?
Old 21-01-2015, 04:47   #8

I find the assessments of the weather on the great lakes here a little bit extreme. We're talking about a couple of lake crossings here.

Yes the wave frequency can be high, and yes a boat on the great lakes is 2.5% less buoyant on the great lakes than on the ocean, but on a nice day in July (which is most of them), there should be no problem crossing Michigan what so ever.

Having said that, I notice the OP is in a 25' swing keel. So I would definitely factor that into the equation. You can do it, but exercise caution. That's all.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:18   #9

Anyone On Lake Michigan?

Fish, I am getting ready to purchase my 2nd boat. I'm in Grand Rapids. Had my first boat in Muskegon and will be slipping the new one in Holland. Be happy to chat about the things I'm looking for and the things I consider important when buying a boat. I've raced across Lake Michigan before- make sure you are prepared- it's a good 10'hours depending.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bubbba4137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 05:15   #10

I love Holland. Especially New Holland.

Old 30-01-2015, 05:31   #11

Thanks Nicholson58. And of course to everyone else here. My wife and I have both been on a sailboat once but never at the same time although it was the same sailboat. I know it's odd. It was 5 years ago and we fell in love with it. I have captained 20 to 25' motor boats out in the Atlantic and on Lake Michigan with a 35'. All were fishing trips and rented boats. I much prefer the Atlantic to Lake Michigan for sure. Our intent is to get a boat to sail and dock and whatnot in the Keys. That's one of our favorite places and we go there every year. I have 2 years to get things in order to get a boat and get it outfitted. I wouldn't mind getting a good boat dirt cheap that needs work even. I have plenty of time to do the work, the skills to do it and a place to do it. I am learning all I can now and planning. We would like to sail from Lake Michigan to NYC then to Florida. Make a run to the Bahamas here and there too.
One of my concerns is headroom as we are both 6'2" and with 3 children that are grown and almost grown they are 6'2" to 6'4" we want them to come and visit often and would like to do a trip to the Bahamas with them.
I would like to get a boat sooner rather than later and it would be nice to have it on Lake Michigan for the summer months.

Old 31-01-2015, 18:00   #12

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Fishy,

I am in Allegan, not far from you, and will be buying this winter/spring. We will be slipping in Holland once she is ready to splash. Whatever we wind up with I will be more than willing to show you around....