Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 08:05   #1

Boat: Parker Dawson 26
Anyone from Green Bay want to answer some area questions?

P&G’s move ends generations of soap making in Armourdale factory | The Kansas City Star

My company is shuttering the plant I currently work at.

They are reasonably committed to offering transfer opportunities mostly not to places I am terribly interested in however I may be able to relocate to Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Housing costs are quite a bit higher in Green Bay than in Kansas City, frankly most places are higher than Kansas City so I suspect I will have to pay more anywhere I go. My current place is perfectly nice, in a decent neighborhood with no crime and set me back all of 35K. Looking on Zillow there seem to be some places in the area of the P&G plant down by the river that are cheap enough for a single guy like me who prefers to own a home but prefers to sock money away like Scrooge McDuck. Anyone familiar with the area and have much to say about it? I would prefer to either live right by work for the short commute to work or live right by the boat for the short commute to the boat.

What about Marinas in the area? Any recommendations? I already trailer up to the Great Lakes every year to sail as it is so being on Green Bay would certainly make it easier to enjoy my vacations! What's the overall cost like? What about the boating culture?

I currently keep my boat on a mooring ball down here which I have come to enjoy since I can be social when I feel like it or sit out on my ball and pretend the VHF is broken when I don't feel social. Any mooring field opportunities?

Lastly, what's the boat market like up there? If I lived near water worth sailing on I could actually get a heavier boat than my current trailer sailor. I sailed my boat exactly ONCE last season on the lake it stayed on from March till October despite spending 3-4 days a week out at the boat working on it and hanging out. Last vacation I sailed to Isle Royale, across the lake to the Apostles then back across to Taconite Harbor and up to Grand Portage again. I love to sail but sailing in a Midwestern reservoir is like driving a Ferrari in a 7/11 parking lot...
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:45   #2

Re: Anyone from Green Bay want to answer some area questions?

P & G are closing their plant here in Brockville after 40 years.

It will put nearly 500 people out of work and in a city of under 22,000, that is huge.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:00   #3

Brockville went on the chopping block just before we did. That was a drag for us as they were one of the plants we were always jockeying with for best results in the North America region. Lots of good people up there and a raw deal for the workers as it is harder to absorb that many employees with transfers with the otherwise fairly small footprint we have up in Canada. We were sad to see them go as they proved to us that productivity and results alone would not save us, the writing was clearly on the wall.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:04   #4

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Why not move the mountain state and sail the Chesapeake Bay.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:59   #5

It's an option I am considering as well and one that certainly is the path of least resistance career wise. Unfortunately, Tabler Station is not all that close to Chesapeake Bay so that leaves me with a decent commute to contend with.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32   #6

I live in Capon Bridge, WV and it takes about three hours to get to Flag harbor in southern MD. Tablers Station to the bay is around 2 hours 35 minutes for the best sailing in the world. Blue crabs, rock fish and best gung holing anywhere.
Old 10-02-2018, 13:18   #7

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I live in Green Bay. I think the housing is inexpensive as is the cost of living. I keep my boat in Marinette and sail across Green Bay to Door County. The boating is great. By the city of Green Bay the water is somewhat shallow. No mooring fields but places to anchor. You can not keep a boat in all winter. The season is May to October.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42   #8

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I am sort of inclined to go with Green Bay as my first choice, probably Auburn Maine as #2 then Tabler Station as a final option. A three hour drive with DC in the way sucks a lot of the fun out of going out to the boat and coming home at the end of the days off after all.

@ Dangerfield, any reason not to look at places north of town such as Oconto? That puts me a lot closer to the fun by the look of things and there seem to be cheaper places and lower crime statistics up there. That would certainly dovetail better with my live cheap, save much, retire happier planning.

Sailing season sounds fine. I am a constant projects kind of person and I would not know what to do with myself if I didn't have the boat hauled every season and some important component or another sitting on the workbench in the shop.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:56   #9

I never go thru DC to get to my boat in Flag Harbor. I take 81S to 66E to route to Warrenton, Fredericksburg, route 301 to back roads to route 4S. It takes a leisure 3 hours thru beautiful scenery and a great barbeque place in Fredericksburg.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:11   #10

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

Crime is not an issue in Northern Wisconsin. Any of the small lake/bay towns are good. I like Marinette as Door County is a 2 hour sail which is for me the perfect day sail,
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:42   #11

Good to hear!

The country is the new ghetto down here. Must be cold enough to kill off all the tweakers up there. While I don't mind getting a bitin-ass dog, a double barrel shotgun and a shovel, it is certainly nicer to not have to.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:08   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40CC

Sailing in Lake Superior and Lake Michigan is wonderful. My wife lived in Green Bay until 10 years ago and sold a nice 2 BR half-duplex in 2016 for $83,000. About the time the lakes close down people start rooting for the Packers. Quiet, small city, friendly, cold, and Milwaukee and Chicago are "close" for culture.

Fred
DreaminFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:19   #13

For what it's worth, here's my take on why I'd look elsewhere!

1. First, and foremost, you will tire of hearing about the GB Packers, it is non-stop!
2. Wisconsin will tax you to death
3. Some of the most terrible drivers I've ever experienced!
4. Poor roads
5. Did I mention the GB Packers
6. Excessive use of salt on the road system will definitely shorten the time you may
want to own a vehicle!
7. Long winters, short summers, and if your lucky may experience a decent spring
or fall!
8. The politics in this state are terrible, at best.
9. Fine dining is minimal, it appears most prefer bar food...(fried)! There are some
fine restaurants but I haven't found many that I'd go back to for a 2nd try.
10. The GB Packers
11. School systems appear to be an issue in many areas of the state, not sure about
GB
12. Be careful on where you choose to live, corporate farms are creating an issue
with water quality and manure spills, if they are spreading manure near you,
and the wind is right, you will definitely know it! Aahh, that nice fresh scent!!
13. Beware, during deer hunting season (that and sturgeon spearing will override
any GB Packer news) rifle use is ok throughout the state and there are some
yahoos out there!
14. Consider what your job options will be if your company pulls the pin on GB, I
don't believe you would like your options, or lack of!
15. You'd better be a Packer fanatic!!

Now there are some good things about this state. Overall the people are friendly.

As far as keeping your vessel at a marina, you may have some options but will require some driving. Most people I know keep their vessels in Marinette, Oconto, or any of the marinas in Door County. I wouldn't recommend Door County, because it's a zoo in the summer requiring much patience and a cool head.

Hope this was helpful, now let me tell you about the Green Bay Packers.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 13:17   #14

I militantly don't care about professional sports so I am sure I can ignore Packers fans with the same ease I have ignored Chiefs fans. I have a pretty good filter for this sort of stuff, their lips move but I cannot hear what they are saying.

They salt the roads down here too so I am used to that as well. I am sure they do it more yet up there but none of what the cities and counties do to the roads can hold a candle to what my company does to our parking lots so I am used to my cars dissolving...

No kiddos, so the schools are a non-issue.

I live in a taxem to death county so I am also used to that. Having an entire state taxing like mad is likely worse but that's our future one way or another anyhow. At least it's not California...

Good warning on Door County, I will look for a place on the West side of the bay!
Old 11-02-2018, 13:44   #15

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Currently living in Door County - have been sailing the waters for 55 years. The sailing is great but dockage/mooring near the city leaves you quite a ways from the bay. Those suggesting Marinette/Menominee are right on. A little farther north is Cedar River - the bar at the mouth can be a problem if you draw more than 3 feet. But the costs/availability are a bit better.

From those ports, access to nice islands and anchoring spots are good. Despite what has been mentioned, there is fine dining in DC but many folks, myself included hang out on the hook and enjoy the scenery while grilling.

Chambers Island is a favorite anchoring spot - be very aware of the weather as you don’t want to anchor there if the wind is forecast to shift to the north. Very exposed. There is s very small “marina” on the east side of the island. Available transient spaces will be limited and for smaller boats. There are no stores on the island but there is a “ferry” of sorts that you may be able to use to get to Fish Creek for supplies - again, most folks bring what they need.

Not hard to avoid discussions about the Packers. Many folks come from Chicago or Minnesota and they have no trouble at all.

Maybe we meet up out there. Currently sailing a Pearson Triton - “”Evadne”.

Cheers!