Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 14:41   #16

Re: Anyone from Green Bay want to answer some area questions?

Whatever the case, if you do relocate to GB, I wish you the best.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 15:02   #17

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

I appreciate the tips fellas!

I have a bit of time yet to deal with ending work here in KC before I can relocate and I do at least owe the West Virginia guys a visit since many of our leadership that I currently work with will be heading out that way but the more I look, the more I think Green Bay may be the right option for me.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 15:38   #18

Caution, moving to Green Bay might turn you into one of these guys don't cha know. Eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1888.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	163930  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 21:02   #19

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

Billsshit about cedar river bar- was 9 feet last fall. Packer fans are very friendly. Taxes aren’t bad c/w neighboring states. Define culture. Very live and let live.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 05:46   #20

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

I was born in Green Bay, but did not reside there but a few months in my 40s.
Yes of course you will get some narrow minded opinions.
Sales tax is 5%. Not bad compared to many other states. 10% here in Alabama.
Be aware of residency in certain parts of town.
Culture ? Lol . Weidner Center UWGB, st Norbert College, Shopko Hall, Lambeau Field, and any bar or street in town , haha, or and dairy section in any grocery store. I have cultured friends in Chicago who are getting out to reside in Algoma on the Lake Michigan side of the peninsula. Good harbors of Algoma and Kewaunee or Manitowoc.
Two of my kids live and work in gb. One near downtown. One in DePere suburb.
City dock on Fox River may have slips available reasonable right downtown.
Midway between gb and Algoma is a small town named Luxemburg, about equidistant from Bay to lake.
Plenty of mini breweries in the area, von Steiel winery, Parallel 44, music on the grounds.
And the best damn perch fries anywhere, and can’t forget cheese curds !
Seek and ye shall find !
I’d be there now if it wasn’t so damn cold there.
Btw Marinette, Oconto, and Sturgeon Bay have plenty to offer.
Old 14-02-2018, 06:18   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

I spent a Summer in Door County (Plum Island Coast Guard Station -1984)

Great summer boating. The yahoos kept us busy!

The Station is now on Washington Is., that was our hang out on off days.

Good Luck,
MArc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 16:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
I spent a Summer in Door County (Plum Island Coast Guard Station -1984)

Great summer boating. The yahoos kept us busy!

The Station is now on Washington Is., that was our hang out on off days.

Good Luck,
MArc
Hey Marc, as I recall , you guys were the local yahoos ! Lol
I recall a night of drinking with coasties at The Bitter End. The conversation contained such remarks as “ sure we can there to shoot a feral pig to cook”
I absolutely love Washington Island in spite of the expense.
Old 14-02-2018, 17:13   #23

I've flown into Washington Island when they had their annual Fly-In and Fish Boil. It is somewhat unique.
As far as being narrow minded, I live here, wasn't a part-timer in my 40's, when I say tax you to death it's mainly property taxes, high gas tax, etc. If you live on or near water you will definitely feel the pain. My property taxes are more than twice that of the last state I lived in and I have less.
You can get all the information you want on line regarding the cost of living, etc. Do your homework and do what's best for you...Don't listen to us "Yahoos!"
Did you know that they did a study on this state and discovered we Wisconsinites have our own dialect. Very similar to that in the movie FARGO, but for many of us not quite that bad.
Again, Good Luck on your decision, I'm sure you'll make the best of it.
Old 15-02-2018, 00:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
I've flown into Washington Island when they had their annual Fly-In and Fish Boil. It is somewhat unique.
As far as being narrow minded, I live here, wasn't a part-timer in my 40's, when I say tax you to death it's mainly property taxes, high gas tax, etc. If you live on or near water you will definitely feel the pain. My property taxes are more than twice that of the last state I lived in and I have less.
You can get all the information you want on line regarding the cost of living, etc. Do your homework and do what's best for you...Don't listen to us "Yahoos!"
Did you know that they did a study on this state and discovered we Wisconsinites have our own dialect. Very similar to that in the movie FARGO, but for many of us not quite that bad.
Again, Good Luck on your decision, I'm sure you'll make the best of it.
Yeah I lived in Wisconsin till I was 63. Lived in the country. I don’t like any cities.
There’s a lot of worse places to live than Wisconsin. The local yahoos are quite admirable.
Taxes on shoreline properties is pricey anywhere you go, particularly if on navigable waters.
You’re preaching to the choir over here and it’s of course going to be a toss up as to whom is off key, lol.
Enjoy the weather!
Old 15-02-2018, 07:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Hey Marc, as I recall , you guys were the local yahoos ! Lol
I recall a night of drinking with coasties at The Bitter End. The conversation contained such remarks as “ sure we can there to shoot a feral pig to cook”
I absolutely love Washington Island in spite of the expense.
I was a CG Reservist sent there for the Summer. It was a good break from Summer Weather in New Orleans! The water was a lot cleaner than the Miss. River!!

It did not take long to appreciate the Fish Boil (I still prefer Crawfish)

The first thing our OinC did was bring us to the Bitter End and "get the card"

As a sailor, I loved the scenery up and down the Peninsula
Living in Miami, I now enjoy Biscayne Bay.

Marc
Old 15-02-2018, 09:17   #26

Fish Boils, haven't been to a good one yet. Entertaining but oh, so bad. Crawfish boil much better. It, the fish boils, are something to attend if in the area, from what I've seen they're mostly attended by tourists in Door County.
Hey Coasty, I'm trying to tell my young relatives to give the C.G. some thought, you guys are the unsung heroes of all the military service groups. Any suggestions I can throw at them to give them something to think about?
Old 15-02-2018, 09:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
Fish Boils, haven't been to a good one yet. Entertaining but oh, so bad. Crawfish boil much better. It, the fish boils, are something to attend if in the area, from what I've seen they're mostly attended by tourists in Door County.
Hey Coasty, I'm trying to tell my young relatives to give the C.G. some thought, you guys are the unsung heroes of all the military service groups. Any suggestions I can throw at them to give them something to think about?
The Coast Guard has changed a lot since I was in, but I have friend's who think it's the best thing they ever did.

The humanitarian aspect of the job is the best part. I got the most reward helping others, especially after a SAR case when we found and assisted them.

Once we helped a sinking boat that had the piano player from Pat O'Briens. The base made the call to tell them she was going to be late! (cell phones were not invented then)

The travel was fun at times, the work can be difficult, but always different. Not doing the same thing everyday... You can also learn a job skill if you decide to leave after your time.

All the best,
MArc
Old 15-02-2018, 10:23   #28

I hear you about the CG. changing, all the branches have. Not being P.C. I'll keep my opinions to myself but I will relate an experience I had a few years ago.
We were crossing the Mona Passage between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico at night. A C.G. cutter contacted us and stated they were sending a launch to board us. The seas were rough, somewhat confused, when the launch approached on our port side. The Chief, at the helm, instructed us to maintain our course and speed (approx 6kts) while being boarded. The three sailors (two men 1 woman) readied to board. The two men boarded with no problem, the woman, however, was terrified. The Chief, was relentless, and basically informed her that she will board our vessel with no assistance. Eventually, she did come aboard, we were inspected (cited for expired flares) and told we kept a very clean ship. I had to wonder, though how they knew I was ex-navy. Anyhow, we spoke briefly, the Chief brought the launch around and the procedure was reversed. Basically, the same scenario, reversed. The woman was last to leave our vessel, terrified, but the two other sailors did assist her departing our craft. They disappeared into the night and that was it. Made for an interesting night.
Old 15-02-2018, 15:07   #29

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

I appreciate all the info guys. I feel a little more settled about things now that there is potentially a ray of sunlight at the end of what is obviously going to be a depressing time around here closing this place down.

I hope to make a trip up there and sniff the place out while it is still wintery then I may shift my previously planned North Channel trip down to the area and spend a few weeks up there looking around the boat this summer.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 22:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
I was a CG Reservist sent there for the Summer. It was a good break from Summer Weather in New Orleans! The water was a lot cleaner than the Miss. River!!

It did not take long to appreciate the Fish Boil (I still prefer Crawfish)

The first thing our OinC did was bring us to the Bitter End and "get the card"

As a sailor, I loved the scenery up and down the Peninsula
Living in Miami, I now enjoy Biscayne Bay.

Marc
Good for you!
Did you ever get to Rock Island? Camped there with a sis and my kids. Got hit with some hellacious lighting storms with sticks nearby. The ground was smoking and the ozone smell was quite noticeable. No need to buy the full poop T-shirts as we wore the real thing lol.
Was on Washington Island for a wedding Johnston/Krause. Krause was a squatter on the old lighthouse on nearby island shoal?
Anyway, one of the Moorings brothers was water skiing in a tux in the no wake zone in Detroit Harbor. I might have been in the boat. I think we were warned to knock it off.
I like crawdads too but got the squirts at a place here after the feast. Maybe the entrails should be removed ? Ya think ?
Maybe fish boils are like scotch, acquired taste, huh ?
Best to you Marc.